Home › Forums › KCW Completed Projects › Dan’s boosted oval
FranzParticipantJanuary 3, 2020 at 8:12 amPost count: 5385
Rev 6 clutch is here. Looks badass.FranzParticipantFebruary 17, 2020 at 9:56 amPost count: 5385
I haven’t had much luck finding nice door glass this machine. I am thinking about getting new stuff.Pat KParticipantFebruary 17, 2020 at 10:54 amPost count: 2933
I started loving on this one Friday.
Installed the new 90 amp chrome alternator. Also started loosely fitting the new fuel injection wiring harness.
Saturday started out seeing where I could squeeze in the IAC (left side), and the single boost unit (blue guy).
Ran and secured wiring first. Ran what vacuum lines we had. 10 pounds of mess organized into a 5 pound space.
Placed an order this morning for a air intake temp sensor from CB performance that we didn’t have. Also ordered some fittings and heat shield for the vac lines from Summit racing.
We will build it if it comes.Pat KParticipantFebruary 19, 2020 at 1:51 pmPost count: 2933
I’ve been checking items off Dans list the last couple days.
Body trim was a little loose and could slide around. Pulled trim, sanded and buffed any scratches.
Made a small adjustment to the rolled lip on the back of the trim at each clip to secure them. Back together and no more movement.
Installed your batt tracker.
Getting the ebrake boot back under the carpet was a test in patience. Ebrake adjusted also.
Popped out the drivers rear qtr window and removed the damaged b-pillar upholstery. Cleaned off all of the old glue. Ready for the new piece you sent.
Ordered these clips for WW to secure your rubber mats . Going to use panel bond to install them so there won’t be any paint repair needed to the bottom side of the pan. http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111701495
Going to stop the running board trim from rattling and sliding around by cutting some rubber to go under each clip. New clips on the way.
We will build it if it comes.Pat KParticipantFebruary 21, 2020 at 12:56 pmPost count: 2933
Fresh b pillar upholstery installed and qtr window back in.
Swapped out the early style clutch operating shaft for a late-model shaft due to the RLR rev6 clutch. Also ordered this bearing and shaft kit from RLR.
Installed new fittings and vac lines.
Used this heat protection on the vac lines and O2 sensor wiring that run close to the exhaust.
Springs on the inside of vac lines so the don’t collapse were bent.
Rev6 clutch installed. End play in spec.
We will build it if it comes.dan.mastroParticipantFebruary 24, 2020 at 8:30 pmPost count: 28
Everything is looking great! I saw a little bit of blue on the intake. CB Performance was supposed to send black to replace the blue pieces. Hopefully, they are in the shipment.
Dan M.FranzParticipantFebruary 24, 2020 at 9:05 pmPost count: 5385
Yeah yeah, just mock-up. Have the new black ones in the box.
Did you say you wanted a cb performance alt. pulley?JWDIIParticipantFebruary 25, 2020 at 5:46 amPost count: 491
This motor would be a good candidate for one of those new billet alt stands from JayCee in black. I applaud you Franz on making all the stuff fit and look great. You are a bad man!!FranzParticipantFebruary 25, 2020 at 7:16 amPost count: 5385
I’m not impressed with the new Empi/Jaycee stuff. Looks like it will fall apart and be difficult to fill. 1990 called and wants their billet back 😁 …and I’m disgruntled because they won’t sponsor our class 11 car.
I set Dan up with an original German alt stand many moons ago… It doesn’t get much better than that.
Pats has been doing a great job on the fuel injection fitment.John JonesModeratorFebruary 26, 2020 at 9:30 amPost count: 11587
This rig is getting DIALED in…. 😎 Looking great guys!!! 😎 😎
Blow me!Pat KParticipantMarch 4, 2020 at 10:52 amPost count: 2933
Parts have been rolling in for this one.
New running board clips along with anti-rattle spacers installed on trim and test fit trim. Storing trim safely for now, will install just before we ship the car out.
Air intake temp sensor installed on intake base plate.
Removed .200” from the throw out bearing collar per RLR specs.
Pulled 7mm studs from a donor trans. Installed with with some red loc-tite love.
Pulled out the old EFI wiring. Enlarged the wiring pass through for the new harness.
Fancy rivet in grommet. I like this style for larger holes.
Pulled intakes. Prepping motor for install.
We will build it if it comes.Scott SainParticipantMarch 6, 2020 at 5:37 amPost count: 394
Franz you could make life a lot easier for you and the next person to pull Dan’s engine. Modify the system to use one throttle body. We used one from a late model fuel injected Beetle. No syncing! No problems trying to install the intakes! Easy for you.
VWs, food, music, and food
VW Drag Night
July 14-15, 2023
Germanaire Drag Day and Social
November 17-18, 2023
www.germanaire.comPat KParticipantMarch 6, 2020 at 8:51 amPost count: 2933
Not sure a single intake set up would make things much easier in the smaller Oval engine bay.
I had to pull the alternator, intakes, valve covers, valve cover mount studs, and the crank trigger sensor. After a precise tilt/ shimmy/ shake/ and lift it all slide together nicely.
Just enough room to get a socket set up behind the shroud to tighten the fan down.
Shortened the valve cover mount studs so valve covers can be pulled without pulling studs. New seals as well.
Trans mount studs had to lose a little height to clear the new fly wheel set up.
Mounting the new EFI box and organizing the harness is up next.
We will build it if it comes.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.