Home Forums KCW Completed Projects 66 deluxe megahatch

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 481 total)
  • Author
    Participant

Great shots, great bus!

ColeB

Great color for the snow!

John Jones

Skiing at Powderhorn this morning. It was cold, but the powder was knee deep. Soo good. C42CDBB7-8C68-42C8-A956-50B8C355F92C68325625-D596-45A7-9E11-0F432F7FE8E0

AWESOME STUFF!!!  Glad it was fun!!!!  Bus is awesome!!!!  Maybe you can drag Pat Kendall up there wth ya sometime!!!!! 😎

All work and no play makes JJ a dull boy🤣
    Keeping a lid on it😎
    Attitude is everything 🤔

MikeK
    Participant

I really like how you transformed this Bus into a useful machine.

I read through the thread but didn’t see what you used for rear suspension.  I know it’s IRS’d, but did you use a Beetle trans and trailing arms?  What axles and CV’s did you end up using and have you had any problems related to the lifted suspension and maxing out the CV’s?  Also curious about what tires and what size was used.

I’m putting together the rear end for my project with modified Bay trailing arms, Beetle IRS.  I was curious if I’d have to use 930 CV’s or could get away with Bus CV’s.  My old Panel was on Beetle trailing arms and I had to lower it so the Beetle CV’s weren’t over extended.

Thanks!

Franz
    Participant

I upgraded to 930 CV joints and axles because the 100mm bus units I had were clicking. Running 24 degrees on the axle at full droop (spring plate on the torsion housing stop). That is the max.

Its all type 1 stuff, with hacked up arms and shock mounts. Old busboys stuff I think. Def not the prettiest.

215/75/r15 tires are the biggest you can put on a stock bus, they just barely rub the edge of the jackpoint. I usually trim the jackpoint a hair.

MikeK
    Participant

I think my old setup was Bus Boys as well.  It had the bolt on trailing arm mounts.  The one thing I didn’t car for was how de-cambered it was.  It  think that may have been from using their bolt on mounts.

Have you had any issues with the CV boot bellows rubbing themselves and wearing out prematurely with the 930’s?  Also, did you use a floating axle or the stock ones with stops for the CV’s?

Thanks for the info.  It’s kind of an unconventional setup and I want to get it right on paper before diving in.

Franz
    Participant

New floater stuff from EMPI. You have to buy axles. 930 has different spline than VW.

Brian from Idaho posted up some custom type 1 arms that had modified shock mounting. Looked sweet.

Baywindow junk that WagensWest sells looks good too…but I’m not a fan of the shock behind the axle.

Franz
    Participant

Getting this rig tuned-up and ready to rally. The Ottinger tour is this weekend in Moab.

7AD39BC5-1D10-4CB2-A26E-B33F19B4A4D8

WAY2COOL
    Participant

such a cool bus Franz

nailed it on this one bigtime ….enjoy in large doses this weekend

Franz subhatch

best pic of the year !

KIM
    Test Pilot @ Submarine Airways

Franz
    Participant

We did well on the Moab trip. I’ll probably disconnect the rear sway bar next time, so that it won’t lift a rear wheel on obstacles as badly.

I also want to try some Bilstien shocks on the front. It seems like with the extra weight on my rig blows through the compression too quickly.

645D1F29-006A-4B6C-8DEE-C31BF4F3BB31

John Jones

So nice to see this rig out in the desert again!!!   I second the Bilsteins… They are awesome.. if you can, all the way around is awesome!!

All work and no play makes JJ a dull boy🤣
    Keeping a lid on it😎
    Attitude is everything 🤔

Franz
    Participant

Alta lake is pretty cool. Have a great 4th everybody!

2FA887E3-CC16-490E-920D-E0B1E48216B8

Pat K
    Participant

Awesome!!! Enjoy the high country Muhr fam!

We will build it if it comes.

Pete
    Participant

Such a great set up!  Have a great holiday!

Audrey

Hell yeah!!! Alta Lakes is soooo beautiful!!!! Enjoy!!!!

Kill em with Kindness 😎

Viewing 15 posts - 451 through 465 (of 481 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.