Home Forums KCW Current Projects Tabeguache 100 Nov. 16th Whitewater to Gateway.

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Keymaster

We talked about doing something like this last year. I think we should do it. I’ll officiate the timing with help from Jesse.

Not trying to make a big race, or get too serious, just a group of guys rally’ing the best sections of trail. 4 timed stages, with transfer sections. We will have to be super careful and courteous of other trail users.

Open to all VW suspension vehicles.

Thinking we put some money on it. $20 or $100? Or just do it for fun?

Saturday morning driver meeting 10am at Tabequache trailhead – 1 mile down hwy 141 in Whitewater (or earlier at Randy’s Southside diner orchard mesa).

– We will start timing here and race to cactus park.

– From cactus park timing is restarted going towards divide road, where timing will end. We’ll have a tuck available to carry your fuel, food and supplies to the checkpoints….with time to re-group and repair cars before the transfer sections.

– Divide road is a wide strait gravel wash-board road and not very fun. We’ll transfer a few miles on this up to 416 Big CR road (or TS road/rim trail if you’re looking on maps). This is a cool section trough old growth ponderosa pine trees.

-After completing the 416 rim trail, times will be recorded and restarted for the final leg of the race down to Gateway. We still have to figure out this section and make sure its going to be safe.

If everything goes perfect, the first guy could be in Gateway by 2pm.

We may also decide to run the trail backwards at the driverโ€™s meeting….by taking hwy 141 to almost gateway, and dropping down the Uncompahgre Plateau.

Rustabus
    Participant

If Iโ€™m back from Humboldt and the Green Machine is good Iโ€™ll loose $100 to cruise around and come in last!!!!! ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚ ๐Ÿ™‚

John Jones
    Keymaster

Sounds like a blast to me…. But I would rather Franz drive with us!!!!

Pat K
    Keymaster

Iโ€™m in.

We will build it if it comes.

Dario
    Participant

Sounds like a good time.

John Jones
    Keymaster

I wish we could gather up about 10-12 of us…… come guys… who wants to have fun and race and camp with us?? ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Dario
    Participant

Pic of Gateway from Ute creek off Divide Rd.

20191013_112253

Had a fun time scouting out the trails we want to use for the race. Should plan on wearing orange when we’re out there next time. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

Franz
    Keymaster

Glad we went scouting, thank you for driving Dario Andretti.

We found a really nice sandy trail though old growth ponderosa and some younger aspen trees. If we get a light dusting of snow the sand/soil mix will be an awesome surface, and great for pictures.

6AC524E4-E965-4F11-BEFE-1A5488F63A94

F480EB31-6FFC-4AD4-ADC5-21E09825AC67

Looking into Moab on the horizon, Gateway bottom left.

FFA350FB-8404-48EC-8F18-DC67A7B590D1DA131443-626C-4658-8BAE-8F704F40BDE3

Franz
    Keymaster

Our route parallels hwy 141 with several access points, and we’ll be able to cruise back to town after the day is done. I think the trails will be mostly empty, frozen in spots, maybe light snow (easier to see/follow tracks). Plan to spend all day on the trail. Iโ€™ll cook lunch for everyone at divide road.

Dario
    Participant

Shit…like tomorrow 9am?…๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜ณ๐Ÿคฏ Would be nice to do the whole thing once through.ย  I’ve done everything except cactus park to divide rd.

As far as 404 or 19 1/2 rd to 6 3/10 rd gateway exit…it’s all down hill switch backs with lots of ledges๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ˜ฌ. But when you get to ute creek you can drift corners at 40-50mph fucking rad!!!

Resized_20191014_131820_3353Resized_20191014_154408_9308Resized_20191014_155340_2080Resized_20191014_155458_6519

Dario
    Participant

Wow amazing sky last night… stars were so bright… you could see parts of the milky way!!! We did a midnight run through another section.ย  It’s a totally different experience racing at night, definitely less traffic. Who’s ready to go again?

mtnbus
    Participant

this looks sweet !

John Jones
    Keymaster

You guys are baja crazy right now….. ๐Ÿ˜Žย  Midnight runs and shit…. ๐Ÿ˜Ž

why is the thread a different color on the home page?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.