The shift plates showed a little wear, but the cause of the problem was the gear stack getting loose (from the nut that fell off). I peened the nut in place, and used a little loctite. We had some better shift plates that I swapped out, and new synchros while this far apart.
Woo wee. That was a lot of grinding. I am like a sissy when it comes to grinding metal. I need goggles I hate getting shit in my eyes especially metal😬 I did pretty good I think I got all the metal out of my Ballz. Thanks for the help kcw. Hopefully a bad ass upgrade for the TRIP to BBB.
Dan G’s 66 beetle here for some love. We found the number 1 cylinder at 78% indicating a bad exhaust valve. Pat removed the engine and disassembled to a short block for inspection. It had dished pistons, worn exhaust valve seat, and bad lifter/cam contact surface. I suggested a rebuild at Painter’s Grinding. Dan approved.
I think this engine is one of those late 90’s all new long-blocks you could get from VW by the lack of numbers and Audi emblems on everything.
All of the lifters had a similar surface and I could feel the texture with a pick.
Viewing 9 posts - 2326 through 2334 (of 2334 total)