Home Forums Bullshit 67 Wrong Side Driver

Viewing 0 posts
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    Participant

I had to formulate some sort of plan for this thing. This is the order, since I want to keep it a driver the whole time I’m messing with it.

1) Make it a driver as is. Some seals, tune up, adjustments, decent tires; etc.

2) Rust repair. Both lower door hinge areas (drivers being the worst), some wheel well & rocker patches, rear window channel, rear floor sections…

3) Suspension, discs and peppy motor.

Typical type of car that may come into KCW for the full spa treatment… Literally everything was either way out of adjustment, installed improperly, never touched, wrong part, etc.. It had some square boxy master cylinder reservoir with the OG strap twisted around it to hold it loosly into place. Replaced it with an OG 67 reservoir. Replaced the bay window speedo cable with a correct RHD bug speedo cable from CIP1. New Boge shocks all around. It has all new brakes, but needed bled and adjusted. Theres still some sponginess in the rear. They wouldn’t bleed properly. Got them to work good enough for now. Rebuilt the 30 PICT carb, oil change, valves, timing, general once over on the motor. Turns out its an damn nice running 1500! Gave the car a quick hand job wax rub down to remove the oxidation. The baby blue respray looks as good as it can now… Sure wish it was down to the OG Zenith Blue. I’m not sure I want to tackle a full stripper job yet. The car came with smoothies and new Nexen 165s. I blasted a set of 67 wheels (with slots) and painted them up like original to replace the smoothies. Temporary until I swap to the 5×130… Replaced the roached steering wheel with a restored standard wheel I had. Rear view mirror was frozen and it had no outside mirror. Ordered both good used mirrors from the UK; on their way now. It had no glove box, ordered one from VW Heritage, repop fiberglass unit fit nicely. Replaced the roached pop-outs with a less rusty set with new seals. Every running board bolt was broke off.. That’s a job that takes longer than it should! Some new bulbs & misc wiring clean up as well.

Finally when it was basically road worthy there was the rotten mess at the drivers lower hinge area (see video). Of the rust on the car, this was the worst because of the structural integrity of it. The door would have come com up more that an inch at the striker just to close. I’m no metal magician, but with the help of a friend, we got it handled. Installed operand lower OS hinge pins and door seals. Closes like butter now! Its not pretty or fogged in, just a shot of primer over the fix for now. Its functional and thats what I was after.

Pictures wouldn’t load for me…

Critter1
    Participant

I had to formulate some sort of plan for this thing. This is the order, since I want to keep it a driver the whole time I’m messing with it.

2) Rust repair. Both lower door hinge areas (drivers being the worst), some wheel well & rocker patches, rear window channel, rear floor sections…

Typical type of car that may come into KCW for the full spa treatment… Literally everything was either way out of adjustment, installed improperly, never touched, wrong part, etc.. It had some square boxy master cylinder reservoir with the OG strap twisted around it to hold it loosly into place. Replaced it with an OG 67 reservoir. Replaced the bay window speedo cable with a correct RHD bug speedo cable from CIP1. New Boge shocks all around. It has all new brakes, but needed bled and adjusted. Theres still some sponginess in the rear. They wouldn’t bleed properly. Got them to work good enough for now. Rebuilt the 30 PICT carb, oil change, valves, timing, general once over on the motor. Turns out its an damn nice running 1500! Gave the car a quick hand job wax rub down to remove the oxidation. The baby blue respray looks as good as it can now… Sure wish it was down to the OG Zenith Blue. I’m not sure I want to tackle a full stripper job yet. The car came with smoothies and new Nexen 165s. I blasted a set of 67 wheels (with slots) and painted them up like original to replace the smoothies. Temporary until I swap to the 5×130… Replaced the roached steering wheel with a restored standard wheel I had. Rear view mirror was frozen and it had no outside mirror. Ordered both good used mirrors from the UK; on their way now. It had no glove box, ordered one from VW Heritage, repop fiberglass unit fit nicely. Replaced the roached pop-outs with a less rusty set with new seals. Every running board bolt was broke off.. That’s a job that takes longer than it should! Some new bulbs & misc wiring clean up as well.

Finally when it was basically road worthy there was the rotten mess at the drivers lower hinge area (see video). Of the rust on the car, this was the worst because of the structural integrity of it. The door would have come com up more that an inch at the striker just to close. I’m no metal magician, but with the help of a friend, we got it handled. Installed operand lower OS hinge pins and door seals. Closes like butter now! Its not pretty or fogged in, just a shot of primer over the fix for now. Its functional and thats what I was after.

Pictures aren’t loading for me….

Critter1
    Participant

Critter1
    Participant

Test…

Large post isn’t loading.  🙁

Critter1
    Participant

IMG_0773

IMG_0779

IMG_0783

Franz
    Participant

Nice. I need to do this repair on one of my cars.

Critter1
    Participant

2) Rust repair. Both lower door hinge areas (drivers being the worst), package try area, some wheel well & rocker patches, rear window channel, rear floor sections…

3) Suspension, discs and peppy engine.

Typical type of car that may come into KCW for the full spa treatment… Literally everything was either way out of adjustment, installed improperly, never touched, wrong part, etc.. It had some square boxy master cylinder reservoir with the OG strap twisted around it to hold it loosly into place. Replaced it with an OG 67 reservoir. Replaced the bay window speedo cable with a correct RHD bug speedo cable from CIP1. New Boge shocks all around. It has all new brakes, but needed bled and adjusted. Theres still some sponginess in the rear. They wouldn’t bleed properly. Got them to work good enough for now. Rebuilt the 30 PICT carb, oil change, valves, timing, general once over on the motor. Turns out its a damn nice running 1500! Gave the car a quick hand job wax rub down to remove the oxidation. The baby blue respray looks as good as it can now… Sure wish it was down to the OG Zenith Blue. I’m not sure I want to tackle a full stripper job yet. The car came with smoothies and new Nexen 165s. I blasted a set of 67 wheels (with slots) and painted them up like original to replace the smoothies. Temporary until I swap to the 5×130… Replaced the roached steering wheel with a restored standard wheel I had. Rear view mirror was frozen and it had no outside mirror. Ordered both good used mirrors from the UK; on their way now. It had no glove box, ordered one from VW Heritage, repop fiberglass unit fit nicely. Replaced the roached pop-outs with a less rusty set with new seals. Every running board bolt was broke off.. That’s a job that takes longer than it should! Some new bulbs & misc wiring clean up as well.

Once I got the car road worthy there was the rotten mess at the drivers lower hinge area (see above video). Of the rust on the car, this was the worst because of the structural integrity of it (or lack of it). The door had to come up more than an inch at the striker just to close. I’m no metal magician, but with the help of a friend, we got it handled. Installed upper and lower OS hinge pins and some door seals. It closes like butter now! Its not pretty or fogged in, just a shot of primer over the fix for now. Its functional and thats what I was after.

Critter1
    Participant

Critter1
    Participant

Deck lid before and after. Plate was screwed directly to the deck lid. Re-mounted it with the proper LP bracket and a plate frame from a local to me, but LONG AGO closed down dealership. Also swapped out the Volkswagen script for the Euro VW1500 script.

IMG_0758

IMG_0761

IMG_0764

Critter1
    Participant
    Pat K
    Participant

Nice progress. Good plan.

We will build it if it comes.

Critter1
    Participant

Nice progress. Good plan.

Thanks Mr K.

Baja Mark
    Participant

Damn, you work fast! Looks great… Gives me some motivation to get my own ’67 on the road.

Franz
    Participant

Looks done to me. Get back to building your other 67 all nasty cal-look.

Critter1
    Participant

Hell Yeah! Thanks. 67s are cool! After messing with Type 3s the last few years, this thing is a joy to work on, and a blast to drive. I forgot how fun a stock motor can be just putting around.

Franz.. I still have some tinkering to do with this one before diving bank into a nut & bolt job. Kind of dreading that. I should bring that other 67 body to KCW. Also still need to finish the Notchback engine and stuff it back in the car by early spring, which isn’t far away.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.