Metal working tools? Good, bad, info wanted.

vwfool

Metal working tools? Good, bad, info wanted.

Postby vwfool » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:50 pm

I sold one of my Cushman scooters recently so I have a couple dollars to spend on tools. I am not sure where to shop, quality, bang for the buck etc. I am also not sure where to start. I am thinking a Shrinker/stretcher, smaller sheet metal brake, hand tools etc. I only have about $1000 to spend. What does a guy buy first? Any info or guidance is greatly appreciated.

BBWB

Re: Metal working tools? Good, bad, info wanted.

Postby BBWB » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:06 pm

I'm assuming you already have most of the hand tools. Friend of mine made a pretty neat simple sheet metal break out of 2 or 3" angle iron. That could be made practically free. Shinker/stretcher is something I don't have, but I think I'd want an english wheel first. Kinda weird, but I'd like an old tire machine and simple bubble or static balancer. Do my own wheels then. Dream list, a TIG welder!
Let me draw you a fucking picture!

Glenn A

Postby Glenn A » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:35 pm

I buy tools based on my own needs. Or when I'm thinking of learning a new way to do something. I recently bought a spot welder, which pretty much nobody needs. But I'm finding it pretty useful.
You need to figure out what you really need and can get a lot of use out of.
60 doublecab.
63 ragtop.
65 EzCamper.
66 doublecab.
10 sportwagen. TDI buyback.

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Postby rustabus » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:03 pm

Well, whatcha building?????? :-k :-k Just buy the next tool you don't have for the next step of your latest project!!!! =D> =D> Smile

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:35 pm

Just going to work on the stretched bus. Had hand surgery last Friday so I have been unable to play with my cars or work so I have been sitting on my ass shopping online. ](*,)

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:44 pm

BBWB wrote:but I'd like an old tire machine and simple bubble or static balancer. Do my own wheels then.

My dream, too. I hate paying money to tire jockey's!!!!
Living!

K Leake

Postby K Leake » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:15 am

vwfool wrote:Just going to work on the stretched bus. Had hand surgery last Friday so I have been unable to play with my cars or work so I have been sitting on my ass shopping online. ](*,)

How's your hand doing ? And what happened #-o
Kevin

Franz

Postby Franz » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:28 am

x2 on buying as needed for project.

A stud gun and slide hammer and puller tools are always useful and small.

Glenn A

Postby Glenn A » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:15 am

I just picked up one of those little ding/dent pullers. I've seen it so many times laying around while John is doing his thing. I had no idea what it was or really how much I actually needed it! I already have a stud welder that I scored off Ebay.

60 doublecab.
63 ragtop.
65 EzCamper.
66 doublecab.
10 sportwagen. TDI buyback.

Big Dizzle

Postby Big Dizzle » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:40 am

yardstore.com

Browse these guys. They have a good veriety of stuff and it's all pretty good stuff. They have used and rebuilt air tools as well that are lots cheaper than the tool trucks.

john jones

Postby john jones » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:58 am

the best tools I ever get come from old guys... Cause "Old guys rule" =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
if you keep going in circles.. Your never gonna get anywhere :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:14 am

I am planning to hit yard sales this weekend since I am still off work. Never know what I might find.

Thanks for the help guys. I remember John having those dent pullers around, cheap and always needed. Going to get one of those today for sure.

I had surgery on the palm of my hand last Friday due to severe trigger finger on my middle finger. It kept locking my hand in a fist and I was starting to have a problem breaking it free. It was also why I dropped a grinder with a cut off wheel at full speed on my thigh during the build off. So it was time to deal with it. Never realize how much you use your dominate hand doing everyday stuff until you can't. Stitches come out Friday hopefully so in a week or so I hope to be back to normal or as close to it as I get.

BBWB

Postby BBWB » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:45 am

I know that feeling. When my hands get used heavy, I get involuntary fist clenching. ](*,)
Let me draw you a fucking picture!

andym

Postby andym » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:47 am

Shop craigslist, I have a garage and back garage full of cool shit. None of them were forced buys. Time is on your side. Hell don't you have 16 more bags of foam to remove before then?
Andy In Modesto
"one shot, one opportunity, are you gonna capture it?"

alykat

Postby alykat » Thu Nov 03, 2016 12:11 pm

What Andy said. I picked up an English wheel and a bead roller (both harbour freight) both still new in boxes from two differnt guys and for less than half of what they advertize on sale. Not the best units in the wold, but they work well enough and beat the hell out of a mallet & sand bags or a wooden relief mold and hammering out a bead an inch at a time. Craigslist can be your friend, but you have to stay on top of it , because the truely good deals go fast.
911 operator: What is your emergency ? Me: Some asshole just pulled out in front of me & totaled my car! 911: Are you injured? Me: No. 911: Is the other driver injured ? Me: Not yet....but you should probably send an ambulance.

Return to “Bullshit”