Zach's Garage

GTV
ninja

Re: Zach's Garage

Postby GTV » Thu Sep 29, 2016 10:26 am

andym wrote:Zach I didn't forget about you, finally this week you'll have your box! Sorry man!

Thanks Andy! Now I just have to find a OG paint 65 bug to put it in [-o<

My work schedule has been fucked lately! I was working early mornings and getting off in the middle of the day, so I would get home early and have time to wrench before the missus comes home. Now it has changed to this bullshit 12-8 shift where I can't get much done before work and nothing done afterwards ](*,) Most every day off in the last couple months has been devoted to family visiting, us visiting family, and now this weekend more family visiting us. So today I'm not feeling 100% anyway, thought it was a good day to play hooky and get to all of these little projects around the garage and house that I haven't had time to. That'll teach 'em :^o

Tomorrow I'm going to go pick up that other 69 Bay, today I'm going to swap the rear hanger mounts and mock up an idea I've got for an exhaust... Maybe fix that passenger window regulator as well.
Living!

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Thu Sep 29, 2016 6:08 pm

Swapped in the rear mounts. SO MUCH BETTER. The old ones were thrashed. Why the fuck would you go to all the trouble of building a performance engine and not put new $10 mounts in?! Anyway, played around with exhaust ideas, ordered a muffler. Sample vinyl swatches from WW arrived, figured out beige (not tan) is the seat color I need to match the original door panels. Loaded up the truck for the trip tomorrow, cleaned up the yard, got the house ready for the missus' parents arrival tomorrow evening. All in all a good productive day. Still sorta feel like shit though :-({|=
Living!

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:09 pm

Fresh meat bench seat.
Long and productive day today. That's a good thing because nothing is going to happen over the weekend ](*,)
Living!

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:33 pm

Wow, that is one seriously neglected bus

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:10 pm

vwfool wrote:Wow, that is one seriously neglected bus

It looks pretty solid under all that grime. Very little rust, straight and OG paint except for the sliding door. A few hacks of course ](*,) Tuesday I'll have a chance to go over it.

Got my high angle CV's in today also! \:D/ Just need the time to put them in!!!
Living!

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Sat Oct 01, 2016 11:29 am

So I wake up this morning thinking how much more awesome this bench seater would be if it had an OG paint Delta Green sliding door. I look on samba, see a lot of doors but none that are a match. Ohh well... A couple hours later I'm having breakfast with the missus' family, I get a text from a friend in Vancouver... He saw my post on the samba bus hunting thread and he has an OG paint Delta Green door for me! He's bringing it down to the Bellevue show in two weeks. Hell yes!! VW people are the best.
Living!

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:54 pm

Hey guys... I'm having axle issues/questions here, I'd really appreciate a little advice.

I bought the EMPI off-road 100mm high angle CV's, and I thought it would make it a little easier for me to rebuild the axles from my other '69 Deluxe I just bought, then swap them over to the Westy (the Deluxe has no drivetrain, the axles were hanging off the outer stub's). This would keep the Westy mobile, then I could just swap the axles out when I had a minute. That was my thought at least...

I built up the axles from the Deluxe, no issue there. I then removed the axles from the Westy this morning and they are much longer... By my calibrated eyeball one axle is 1" longer than the stock Deluxe axles at 19 7/8", and the other is about 21 1/4". I called up the PO and he said something about them being from a Vanagon with an auto trans (he didn't know they were different lengths and wasn't much help). I'm not sure which side the long side was on, I wasn't paying attention and expected them to be the same.

So I'm not sure where to go from here. All I know is I'm pretty sure I shouldn't have two different length axles on there. Please help!
Living!

BBWB

Postby BBWB » Mon Oct 10, 2016 9:06 pm

Might be the reason you heard lots of clicking. Do the insides of the stubs axles and the trans outputs look dinged up?
You also don't want to swap sides with axles. They develop a memory twist and can break easily if reversed.
Let me draw you a fucking picture!

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Mon Oct 10, 2016 10:00 pm

I'll check the flanges tomorrow Ben. If I would have known this was going to be all fucked up I would have paid more attention while I was pulling it apart!

I'm hoping to still make the show with it this weekend but this axle ordeal could ruin those plans. Between my shitty schedule, waiting on parts, and messed up stuff like this I haven't got half the work done that I wanted to. So there isn't much to show off anyway.
Living!

Franz

Postby Franz » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:18 am

I measure axle length by jacking up one side of the suspension, until the flanges are on the same plane. That should be the shortest axle length possible. Measure from the very bottom of the cv flange/cup to the other flange. You want your axle to almost bottom out in the cups.

This way the axle is as long as it can be to reach the suspension when it's unloaded, or in the raised position.

BBWB

Postby BBWB » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:43 am

^^^ Yep. So in your case Zack, one axle was either to long or to short. Short one (if to short) would pull hard on the CV causing lots of clicking you heard. Long one may be just fine in high lift mode, but would interfere with flanges on compression if to long.
Let me draw you a fucking picture!

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 am

Franz wrote:I measure axle length by jacking up one side of the suspension, until the flanges are on the same plane. That should be the shortest axle length possible. Measure from the very bottom of the cv flange/cup to the other flange. You want your axle to almost bottom out in the cups.

I've read this somewhere else and I understand the concept but I don't see how it applies to my lifted application. Follow me on this... If I could get both flanges on the same plane then I would use stock length axles (right?). With the lift the axles come no where near parallel to the ground, the torsion bars are way too stiff to allow for that.

So I was thinking about this ^^^ yesterday. Imagine the stock axle at 18 3/4" parallel to the ground. Then imagine lowering the hub 4" (lifting the suspension). Now you have a right triangle, and the new axle length (the hypotenuse) can easily be calculated. You end up with 19.2". So theoretically, if my suspension was lifted 4" (which is just an educated guess right now) then both of the axles I had in there were wildly too long. But they obviously did work.

I need to get the tape measure out and do some investigating. Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate it.
Living!

john jones

Postby john jones » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:32 am

talking about the different length axles... I dunno if this pertains.. but when piggy was making that nice baywindow of his useless.. :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ I remember something about the tranny being offset or something?? sounds right.?? seems when he put his swing axle in there he had to move the horns or something.. sound familiar? :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k
Fortress has been secured.. Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
No new dirty shop projects. [-X [-X [-X don't even ask... [-( [-( [-( [-(

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:59 am

I know when you put a bus trans in a bug the engine gets offset 3/8" to one side.
This shouldn't have different length axles, the PO just didn't know what he was doing.
Living!

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:03 am

I've got seat covers, new pads, and a new windshield seal on the way from WW. \:D/ Next week my schedule changes back to early shifts so I can finally get something done around here!
Living!

Return to “Bullshit”