Zach's Garage

GTV
ninja

Re: Zach's Garage

Postby GTV » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:25 am

Some info real quick before I head to work...

When I disassembled the shorter (19 7/8") axle I noticed that one of the circlips was missing.

I found its battered corpse in the right side outer stub axle, here:

Right side inner drive flange:

Left side inner drive flange:

Left side outer stub axle:

Living!

K Leake

Postby K Leake » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:06 pm

Don't know, but that doesn't look good. :-k
Kevin

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:52 pm

I guess you can run without circlips, but what I read from that is the 19 7/8" axle was a little on the short side.

I still have to figure out correct axle length. Somehow I need to lift the hub up as far as it will go while driving (whatever that is, no way it will reach horizontal), then I can take an accurate measurement.

I'd love to know what the distance is from cup to cup at ride height on an unmodified bay. The other one I have here has no engine or trans, so it's of no use to me.
Living!

tlambert

Postby tlambert » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:00 pm

Is it possible one axle is from an automatic Trans bus?
I thought I read somewhere the axles are different length for the automatic bugs or buses?
Tim

john jones wrote:Sanding sucks balls, My balls have been about sucked off..:-#

S-10 BB Swap
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f10/1st-gen-bigblock-installation-223375/

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:26 pm

tlambert wrote:Is it possible one axle is from an automatic Trans bus?
I thought I read somewhere the axles are different length for the automatic bugs or buses?

Both are from an auto trans Vanagon. And you're right, one axle is shorter than the other for auto's.
Living!

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Sat Oct 15, 2016 2:03 pm

image.jpeg
image.jpeg (143.24 KiB) Viewed 968 times
Pretty good morning at the show today. Participation was light because the weather sucked, but I still found some great deals in the swap. Picked up a drivers bumper step, shift knob, and some outside mirrors for the Westy. As well as a set of OG Sprints and a real 16x7 Fuch. For dirt cheap! I also brought one of my bus torsion housings I sold to a guy, so I ended coming home with more money than I left with!!
Living!

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Postby rustabus » Sat Oct 15, 2016 3:58 pm

Nice Score!!!!! =D> =D> =D>

way2cool

Postby way2cool » Sun Oct 16, 2016 7:52 pm

=D> =D> =D>
KIM -----------------
" whale oil beef hooked "
http://www.chalkboards.com.au

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:27 am

Dammit, fell off the front page!
I haven't made much progress on this lately. Every project I attempt ends up being more work than anticipated and it stalls me. Like the axles. The other day I got all my stuff together to recover the front seats and ended up finding a bunch of broken springs, so now that's on hold as well.
This morning was a small forward step. Picked up a football and did the trick to the nose. First time doing it, a lot of fun and very rewarding. Still ugly, but much improved.

Living!

K Leake

Postby K Leake » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:41 pm

=D> =D> =D> much better. O:)
Kevin

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:22 pm

So I just did a 3700 mile/10 day road trip back to AZ to retrieve some random junk I left there when I moved up here. I took the scenic route, also saw some friends and family, and did some National Parking (froze my ass off camping in Arches). At the last minute I threw the front seat frames from the Westy in my truck to have my buddy in AZ weld up the busted springs (ridiculous, I know, but I had the space).
I'm a pansy and it's been either too damn cold or too damn wet outside to mess with the spring plates (Westy doesn't fit in the garage), so I need to make a little progress indoors.

You know those high density foam pads that go on the front backrest frames under the upholstery? I only have one and it's pretty wasted. Does anyone make these or have a used pair they wouldn't mind selling?

Exploded view.
Living!

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:27 pm

While in AZ I also picked up an extra bus 15" wheel I found about 18 months ago. It's a little dinged up, but as they say, good enough for the spare. I just now knocked out the rivets, cleaned it up, and dropped it off at Les Schwab for black powdercoat. I used my $70 from General Tire to order up a 205/75, the biggest that I *think* will fit in the spare tire well. All five tires ended up costing $585 delivered, not too bad for big meaty off road tires.
Living!

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Sat Dec 17, 2016 6:50 pm

So I ordered my spare tire yesterday, it just dropped off at my door now. Delivered in onoy 27 hours!! Holy shit!
Living!

K Leake

Postby K Leake » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:54 pm

GTV wrote:So I ordered my spare tire yesterday, it just dropped off at my door now. Delivered in onoy 27 hours!! Holy shit!

Thats service
Kevin

BBWB

Postby BBWB » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:01 am

I just found a 15" bus wheel for my spare. Got to get it cleaned up and mount a used tire on it for the Havasu trip soon. Been traveling for years without a spare on board. [-X [-X
Let me draw you a fucking picture!

Return to “Bullshit”