vwfool

Re: Zach's Garage

Postby vwfool » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:20 pm

Any progress?

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:43 pm

Nope. Pretty unmotivated lately. In a fucking funk or some shit. I need to "finish" this thing and get it out of here. I'm tired of looking at it.
Living!

jb

Postby jb » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:00 pm

GTV wrote:Nope. Pretty unmotivated lately. In a fucking funk or some shit. I need to "finish" this thing and get it out of here. I'm tired of looking at it.

Welcome to life on the wetcoast ](*,) shake that shit, bundle up and DO WORK :-$ :-$ I'm going to grind on a barndoor in a few hours till I pass out Wink

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Wed Jan 25, 2017 7:40 pm

jb wrote:
GTV wrote:Nope. Pretty unmotivated lately. In a fucking funk or some shit. I need to "finish" this thing and get it out of here. I'm tired of looking at it.

Welcome to life on the wetcoast ](*,) shake that shit, bundle up and DO WORK :-$ :-$ I'm going to grind on a barndoor in a few hours till I pass out Wink

I wish I lived closer to you! I like working on my friends shit more than I like working on my own stuff a lot of the time. The weather doesn't bother me very much, my clusterfucked garage is my biggest problem now. Going to start getting that into shape tomorrow.
Living!

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Wed Jan 25, 2017 8:39 pm

I have been in a funk too but I am starting to get out of it. Weather doesn't bother me either. I actually love it. Once I got more organized I started wanting to get out there and do some stuff. Cleaning stuff helps

BBWB

Postby BBWB » Thu Jan 26, 2017 5:15 am

Strange that everyone is talking about a 'funk'. I've been in one for awhile now. Havasu helped me snap out of it some, but I still feel like not doing shit. It's not the weather for me either, just a general dis-interest in everything. My dad used to say the same thing. He said he always tried to keep busy. So that's what I've been doing. Asked the boss if I could do overtime to help fill in the day more. He nixed that. So I'll have to come up with a different plan. I got an airplane to finish, but no real excitement to do so. Same with two motorcycle projects. I did go out and ride last Sunday for about two hours. That cleared the head. If the weather holds this coming weekend, I'm taking the Yamaha out for a good run. :-k
Let me draw you a fucking picture!

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Thu Jan 26, 2017 9:53 pm

To recap...

GTV wrote:Ok, so back on the scenic route. Green mountains give way to wide open spaces as we cross the border into Utah, just outside of Monticello. I'm still behind the wheel and my buddy is looking far out the passenger side with a pair of binoculars. He sees something bus-like that is red and white about a 1/4 mile away. Eagle eye!! So I turn the truck and trailer around and we make it to a property that looked very busy at one time but is near dormant now. There's the house, a barn, two mobile home out-buildings, car port, horse stable, and about a half dozen tiny cottage looking things. Only one car on the property had current plates, that's the only way we could tell it wasn't abandoned. There was probably 20 old cars outside, a 63 T-Bird, a couple junk late model bugs, a couple late 40's Chevy fastbacks, a rotten Alfa convertible, 55-57 Chevy truck, 80's Ford pickup, 49-ish Packard....
And then the good stuff. OG paint light grey 62 single cab next to an OG paint 64 13 window deluxe (sitting for YEARS but look at that sky reflection on the roof!!)
AZ Yellow 68 bay
The red and white 66 that beaconed us there.
There was also another 65 13 window we spotted inside one of the out buildings. But... No one home :-({|= We left a note on the door and once again hit the highway, it was all we could do!!

Still towing my ex's Sierra Yellow 71 deluxe sunroof, we headed a little further west, then south on the 191. As we were coming into Blanding my buddy remembered seeing a few VW's in a yard here years before, it didn't take long and we spotted them, a few Beetles mixed among a few dozen other cars not too far off the side of the road. We pulled in, saw a few kids on bicycles and asked them where dad was. One ran inside the door and a dude in his 30's came out and told us the cars belonged to his father, who happened to live next door. He went and fetched his father, Jim. Jim is a big guy, long gnarly grey hair with the beard to match. An ex gold miner, he lugged around a big oxygen tank to help him breathe. We asked him about his VW's and together we went for a walk around the yard. In all, there were probably 50 cars out there from the 30's through the 60's. He had a story to go with every single one of them. Lots of American stuff, some of it scrap, some worth working with. Tri-Five Chevy's, shoebox Ford's, and 15-20 VW's in various states of disrepair. It didn't take us long to spot what we were after...

There wasn't much to them, but it was something. No drivetrains. We could see the 64 had a rear seat but outside of that it was seriously rusty and roached. The 62 was pretty bare other than the front seat but it showed some signs of promise. We worked on Jim for a couple hours, but he couldn't be rushed to come up with a price. I offered $500 for both (a little over scrap value I figured), but he had to think about it. It was getting to be late afternoon/early evening and we still had a LONG drive ahead of us, so I was getting really ansy to hit the road or make a deal, something other than just bullshitting! The conversation went near politics when I saw a crack in Jim's armor. He made it clear that he didn't trust the government or the dollar, so being a former miner I asked him if he would prefer payment in gold. That was it! He liked that idea, and asked for 1/2 ounce of gold (roughly $750 or so at the time) in exchange for the two old bus shells. They weren't anything to write home about, but damn it we made the deal! We agreed to come back up in about a week and a half to load up our first splits.
Living!

john jones

Postby john jones » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:17 am

=D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Fortress has been secured.. Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
No new dirty shop projects. [-X [-X [-X don't even ask... [-( [-( [-( [-(

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Fri Jan 27, 2017 9:03 pm

So we finally cruised back to AZ. We started by cleaning up the 71 Deluxe and getting it running again. We found out why it was parked, the little clevis pin by the throttle pedal linkage busted. It was put out of service for nearly ten years by a $2 part! Over the next few months between other projects, starting my new job and starting school again we turned it into a pretty respectable driver. Then sold it for way too cheap to a local guy who immediately filled the rusty rockers full of spray foam. He said it was a temporary fix ](*,) ](*,)

Living!

john jones

Postby john jones » Sat Jan 28, 2017 7:06 am

looks like Bay central there.. :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$
Fortress has been secured.. Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
No new dirty shop projects. [-X [-X [-X don't even ask... [-( [-( [-( [-(

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:17 pm

That's at my buddy's shop in Prescott, Arizona. Air Cooleds Only. A lot of those cars in the background are customer vehicles. Those pics were taken back in August 2013.
Living!

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Fri Feb 03, 2017 5:46 pm

We made the deal for the '62 and '64 Standards on Monday, July 29th. August 8th I was hired at Whole Foods, but I didn't start until September 17th. That means I was also living on Top Ramen until then, remember I only had $1500 to my name and it was quickly getting spent on buses, and fuel to retrieve them ](*,) Somewhere between that time I also started my second semester of school. But after 7 months of boredom, things were starting to get really busy, and really fun.

We procured a half ounce solid gold coin (not an easy task we found out), and headed back north to Blanding from Prescott on the morning of Tuesday, August 13th. Two V8 trucks, two twin axle single car trailers. We had to make the most of this trip. A 1971 bay window and a couple of rough 11 window splits were not going to make this bus hunting endeavor financially rewarding. So, we made a few plans... since Monticello wasn't that far away, we decided we would 1) stop by that place we found with the 5 buses and try to track down the owner, and 2) try and pick Jim's place clean, if we could talk him into it. There were a couple crashed ragtop bugs with nice roofs, and loads of parts scattered everywhere. If we could fill up the trucks with that stuff, things would look a little more promising. But what we didn't plan for was the real gem...

My buddy Chris is cruising a little ahead of me as we roll into Tuba City. If you haven't been to Tuba City, you aren't missing anything. It is on the Navajo Indian Reservation (NE Arizona), and it is an absolute butthole of a place. Trash blowing around everywhere, poverty, mangy dogs looking for scraps, dusty, hot, and no shade to be found. Chris was far enough ahead of me that I didn't see him make an impromptu left turn to do a little VW scouting. He radioed me right at the point when I passed the turn, so I just said I would keep going down the highway, a little slower so he could catch up with me after not finding anything. I'm about ten or fifteen minutes outside of town and he texts me this picture.

I immediately pull over to analyze.
Living!

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Fri Feb 03, 2017 6:39 pm

I'm thinking, it's a deluxe, for sure! Probably a 13 window. But why are there tarps on top? Fuck me, that must have a hole in the roof!! I call him up, but to be honest, the details of the conversation are a little fuzzy. My heart is pumping, and I can tell by his voice so is his. Just then he finds the owner and has to hang up.

I sit and wait.

I'm waiting for what feels like forever, but probably only a few minutes, when he calls back and he says it is a 21 window and he made the deal! $2,000, and we have to get it out of there before they change their mind. DONE! I flip a U and head back. On my way I start thinking about my finances... I've got the $1000 to split this bus with Chris, but I won't have enough money to survive the next 6 weeks until I start getting a paycheck. So I call my other friend Chris who I built the cal look 67 beetle for, and he sends me $750 through Wells Fargo (I paid him back $1250 later). I can breathe a little easier now.

I arrive at this dump, I mean this house, and we check out our new 21 window walk thru. It has a mattress lying on the cargo floor, now the tarps make sense. Someone was sleeping in here! The owner says it was her landscaper... I look around the property and think "riiiiggghht". The building next to the bus had caught fire months before and got the paint on the passenger side good and hot, but the metal was fine. It had evidence of a very light roll over on the passenger side of the roof, it only had one seat (the drivers), very little intact glass, it was rusty, no motor, had a factory ambulance step, and had been picked pretty clean. It was also sunk deep into the super fine Tuba City red silt. So this was it, this would be our first bus extraction! And fuck me, were we unprepared!! Long story short, it took us 6-7 hours in the disgusting dusty heat to get this pile loaded up. Wheels were stuck, our spare rollers weren't holding air, etc, etc. It was agonizing but we were laughing the whole time. And the drunk neighbor who kept coming over every 45 minutes to tell us stories about this bus. "The first time I had a beer was in this bus" escalated to "The first time I smoked pot was in this bus" concluded with "The first time I did coke was in this bus". Dude, this bus was your downfall!

Check out the cargo "floor". This is what was under the mattress. That someone slept on.

We decided that I would take the 21 window back down to the shop in Prescott (about 175 miles), and Chris would continue north and stop by the place in Monticello. When he got there no one was home. So he sat and waited until someone showed up :)
Heading back to Prescott.
Stopped for fuel in Flagstaff

I quickly dumped the 21 off, got the rest of the tools we should have brought the first time and headed straight back north again. I made it as far as the KOA in Flagstaff where a friend who worked there set me up with a hot shower and a teepee for the night. I was totally depleted and my head was spinning. I couldn't have asked for a better day.
Living!

BBWB

Postby BBWB » Fri Feb 03, 2017 8:48 pm

Zack, you need to write a book about this adventure of yours. Short story at least. I bet HotVWS would pay for a story like this.
Let me draw you a fucking picture!

Franz

Postby Franz » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:30 am

DANG!

We stopped for gas in Tuba City and had a guy tell us that he had a 49 split window beetle just up the road. Kind of blew him off. Maybe you should go check that out.

You guys see money in all these old junky busses....all I see is headaches and work.

Return to “Bullshit”