Zach's Garage

GTV
ninja

Zach's Garage

Postby GTV » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:25 pm

So as some as you may know my missus and I moved to Seattle last year. Now we are looking to buy a home. To say the market is brutal here is a huge understatement. So we've had to expand our search to include town homes. Not ideal, but we want to live close to where we work and play. I've never lived in one so I don't really know what to expect. I want to know from fellow car guys, if you've done it how was it? I still want to be able to play (and flip) cars and bicycles occasionally, I feel like that may be a huge challenge in a place like that. Of course anything we would buy would have a 1 car garage, for what it's worth.

Any insight is appreciated. Not being able to work on anything is making me fucking loose my shit!!
Last edited by GTV on Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Living!

jb

Re: Have any of you guys lived in a town home??

Postby jb » Sun Apr 03, 2016 4:57 pm

If you want to have anything to do cars I would stay away from that type of arrangement #-o there's that and the fact that strata council places lick big hairy nut sack! My first place was part of a strata and fuck me, NEVER AGAIN! ](*,) the drama!!!!

21views

Postby 21views » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:19 pm

jb wrote:If you want to have anything to do cars I would stay away from that type of arrangement #-o there's that and the fact that strata council places lick big hairy nut sack! My first place was part of a strata and fuck me, NEVER AGAIN! ](*,) the drama!!!!

For all of you USA folks

Strata = homeowners association

:-$ :-$ :-$
Damn canadians

21views

Postby 21views » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:21 pm

GTV wrote:So as some as you may know my missus and I moved to Seattle last year. Now we are looking to buy a home. To say the market is brutal here is a huge understatement. So we've had to expand our search to include town homes. Not ideal, but we want to live close to where we work and play. I've never lived in one so I don't really know what to expect. I want to know from fellow car guys, if you've done it how was it? I still want to be able to play (and flip) cars and bicycles occasionally, I feel like that may be a huge challenge in a place like that. Of course anything we would buy would have a 1 car garage, for what it's worth.

Any insight is appreciated. Not being able to work on anything is making me fucking loose my shit!!

City life is crazy $$$$ another option is apartment and rent a storage spot near stadium
It allows the car passion and less cost of living in the big city

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:41 pm

Luckily the places we've been looking at have no HOA, I agree that could be a deal breaker.

I've been looking for reasonable garage space to rent and have been coming up empty. Dirt is just too fucking expensive here. I'd totally be down with sharing space with a few guys, but I can't find anyone like me in the city! Seems like all the car guy types are either loaded and/or live out in the burbs.
Living!

jb

Postby jb » Sun Apr 03, 2016 5:59 pm

I had a feeling you yahoos had a different name for it [-X

C.Hamburg
purple drank

Postby C.Hamburg » Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:18 pm

Fuck no I would never live in a condo, it's like buying an apartment, and living in those suck ass too.

I understand the housing shortage s well as wanting to live close to work and play.

Tough decision. I could never ever live that close to other people. Bad enough 20 feet from my neighbors. One side moved, but they used to bitch about the paint fumes. others about the grinding for hours.

I have never found another person to split rent on a shop space. It would be awesome, but I've given up the search for that. Everyone I know lives at least an hour from me.
-Corey

russ scott

Postby russ scott » Sun Apr 03, 2016 7:25 pm

i live in one just because of the house prices when i sold m last one i could only afford a town home

i dislike strata but i have built my car in the garage, the door was almost always closed though

i can tell you if i worked on them all the time and flipped they would not be happy.

like josh said strata sucks and as soon as i can afford a house again i will

21views

Postby 21views » Sun Apr 03, 2016 8:57 pm

GTV wrote:Luckily the places we've been looking at have no HOA, I agree that could be a deal breaker.

I've been looking for reasonable garage space to rent and have been coming up empty. Dirt is just too fucking expensive here. I'd totally be down with sharing space with a few guys, but I can't find anyone like me in the city! Seems like all the car guy types are either loaded and/or live out in the burbs.

It's a bitch finding a spot, it might be a shot in the dark but there is a monthly meet up at griots garage in Tacoma. First Saturday of every month. Bunch of gear heads might be able to find a spot for your passions or at least a couple guys who want to do the same thing. I think that event still goes on :-k :-k

jb

Postby jb » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:04 pm

Sharing shop space can either be awesome or a total flop! I got real lucky with the boys here....its been nothing but good times...not one issue so far \:D/
Can either ruin friendships or build great ones....which one is anybody's guess :-"

andym

Postby andym » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:13 pm

Get something free standing, sharing space or "sound zones" will just make you go crazy being in a small condo.
Andy In Modesto

Maybe Subaru parts could fix it?

Pat K

Postby Pat K » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:20 pm

Neighbors..... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

C.Hamburg
purple drank

Postby C.Hamburg » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:23 pm

Pat K wrote:Neighbors..... ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

I can count the number of good ones I've had on one finger. lol

At least they still live here.
-Corey

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Sun Apr 03, 2016 9:51 pm

21views wrote:
GTV wrote:Luckily the places we've been looking at have no HOA, I agree that could be a deal breaker.

It's a bitch finding a spot, it might be a shot in the dark but there is a monthly meet up at griots garage in Tacoma. First Saturday of every month. Bunch of gear heads might be able to find a spot for your passions or at least a couple guys who want to do the same thing. I think that event still goes on :-k :-k

I'll look into it, thanks!

jb wrote:Sharing shop space can either be awesome or a total flop! I got real lucky with the boys here....its been nothing but good times...not one issue so far \:D/
Can either ruin friendships or build great ones....which one is anybody's guess :-"

I've got no friends up here yet, so nothing to loose! Seriously though, all of my "true blue" friends are car guys. I get bored as fuck with just about anyone else, I can only talk sports for so fucking long ](*,) There doesn't seem to be as many car guys up here as there was in Phoenix. In my old immediate neighborhood there was three other guys always wrenching on some shit. When I tell people around here what I'm into they just look at me cross eyed, or tell me about how much they loved their 2001 New Beetle like I could give a fuck. Don't get me wrong, I love most aspects of Seattle, but there's some parts that make me feel like a damn alien.

Thanks for the two cents worth guys. I think I talked the missus into looking for an actual house a little further out of the city limits. She's still pissed off at me \:D/ Probably in Shoreline or something.
Living!

ye olde kraut burner

Postby ye olde kraut burner » Sun Apr 03, 2016 11:58 pm

"There doesn't seem to be as many car guys up here as there was in Phoenix. In my old immediate neighborhood there was three other guys always wrenching on some shit. When I tell people around here what I'm into they just look at me cross eyed, or tell me about how much they loved their 2001 New Beetle like I could give a fuck. Don't get me wrong, I love most aspects of Seattle, but there's some parts that make me feel like a damn alien."

I can relate! Phoenix has an incredible car culture that the northwest just can't match. Thats not to say I don't love it here, its just a different vibe. Maybe its the weather?
1958 Karmann Ghia
1956 Karmann Ghia (project)

Return to “Bullshit”