Vintage bicycles

Critter1

Vintage bicycles

Postby Critter1 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:03 pm

It seems like there's a lot of VW guys that are also into vintage bikes. I don't think I've seen a vintage bike thread on here, so I thought I'd start one. I remember seeing some pics of the guys on some vintage bikes at the shop one night...
I have a 67 bug and a 67 fastback project thats doing nothing at the moment and really hasn't had any momentum for a little while now. So I've kept busy by scratching my "build something" itch and put together some vintage bikes for my family.

I just finished the 1946 Firestone 24" for my eleven year old son. The yellow one is a 1940 Savage i did for my lady. We had them out to a small bike show, and did pretty good. We got best kids bike and best cruiser. The red one is a Savage also but a 1938 model. I did that one for my mother-in-law.

So lets see your vintage bikes. Some pics of vintage bikes on your roof racks would be pretty cool too!!

Last edited by Critter1 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 8:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

rowanfry

Postby rowanfry » Sun Jun 19, 2011 3:12 pm

Cool topic idea, Here is s alink to some super sweet path racers......
http://bishopscycles.blogspot.com/

I just picked a gnarly one up last night for my brother, unsure if we are going to restore it at this stage or roll as is,will get some pics

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:07 pm

Those are nice!
Where do you find parts? I picked up an early 50's Monark for my girl and I'm looking for a tank and a headlight and I don't have a clue where to find them.
Living!

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 9:20 pm

GTV wrote:Those are nice!
Where do you find parts? I picked up an early 50's Monark for my girl and I'm looking for a tank and a headlight and I don't have a clue where to find them.

There's a lot of good parts on these sites in their "for sale" threads. Bicycle swap meets pop up now and again too. Your local bike shop (that caters to vintage) usually have the swap info. You'll find out that the "road bike" shops look down their nose at you if you ask about coaster brakes and balloon tires... And last resort I look on ebay.

http://www.ratrodbikes.com/forum/
http://thecabe.com/vbulletin/forum.php

50s Monark... very nice, post a pic. My sons Firestone was made by Monark and badged by Firestone.
Last edited by Critter1 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:50 am

Thanks for the links dude! I've asked around at a couple of bike shops and they just look at me cross eyed. I'll post some pics up when it's a little more presentable. I'm trying to get it complete first, then I'll have a go at restoring it.
Living!

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Postby rustabus » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:30 am

Gotta keep this thread going!!!! I am a huge bike junkie, every couple of years I throw/give away most of my bikes and make a vow to not horde........... I am never successful for long.....Last time I purged all my bike stuff and the guys at the shop all made custom bikes, they still have a corner of bikes parts and frames over there :-$ I try to stick to old Schwinns mostly original paint green ones. This is my latest daily driver 1953 Schwinn racer Smile Smile Smile

cookiemonster131

Postby cookiemonster131 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:11 am

Rusty, bitchin bike!

I was lucky enough to work about 12 years ago at the 2nd oldest schwinn shop in the country. i worked there for 3 years through high school. I was the only non family member to ever work there. At the same time i had roughly 90 pre 1970 bikes mainly Schwinns and half of them rideable at a time. I miss all of my bikes but i try to stay away from hoarding anything else... ](*,)
"With all of those VW's in the parking lot i thought it was a Unitarian Church" Hank Hill

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:21 am

Ya that Schwinn green is probably my favorite factory color on a bike. Rusty, that thing is in excellent condition! Very nice.
I havent taken the time to find those pics of the guys and their drunken bike races, or skid mark challenges, or whatever they were doing. I just remember it was a mix of PBR and vintage bikes! :)

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:37 am

Not so much vintage as the others, but Peugeot put out some great bikes back in the day. I got this 1983 Peugeot for free and just had to do something with it. Where I live it's completely flat.. The only hill is where the road goes over the tracks! So I though this bike was a perfect candidate for a single speed conversion. I don't need gears. Its a fun ride.. I'll probably sell it off after summer to make room for more flips...

cookiemonster131

Postby cookiemonster131 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:19 am

critter you have a PM. Smile
"With all of those VW's in the parking lot i thought it was a Unitarian Church" Hank Hill

Bret

Postby Bret » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:00 am

I'm just curious what you did with that rear rim...haha. I would rock the hell out of that on my 80's commuter cannondale thats been redone. All polished aluminum and black carbon fiber. A black solid rim would look legit.

PeteSC

Postby PeteSC » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:12 am

I like what you've done with that Peugeot.
Last edited by PeteSC on Fri Jul 08, 2011 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:16 am

mrblyoung wrote:I'm just curious what you did with that rear rim...haha. I would rock the hell out of that on my 80's commuter cannondale thats been redone. All polished aluminum and black carbon fiber. A black solid rim would look legit.

Those are just covers. I took them off cus they were faded. Besides I polished the aluminum rim and I didn't want to cover it back up. The covers went into the trash..

Wren
Hey, KEEVIIN!!!

Postby Wren » Thu Jun 23, 2011 10:49 am

My bike collection keeps growing. This is my favorite, 59 Cosmic flyer. Has a little rust! Got it from a vw guy.

Critter1

Postby Critter1 » Thu Jun 23, 2011 11:42 am

Wren, that Cosmic Flyer is sweet! Looks to all be there too.

Return to “Bullshit”