internship?

john jones

Re: internship?

Postby john jones » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:59 am

But ya know.... I hope my kids never do what I do... I want better for them.. and so... fact is...

I also want more for Will..... and for all the youth.... I guess, as you can see.. I have my own set of issue's and bitterness I need to deal with... :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ :-$ Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
if you keep going in circles.. Your never gonna get anywhere :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k

Clatter

Postby Clatter » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:24 am

john jones wrote: but I think I am benefiting them more than they are benefiting me.. and that just doesn't make a bit of sense to me. :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k

Well, if it's any consolation,
They are the ones out in the 15F blasting booth grumbling about having to work for free..!! \:D/ \:D/

Do know what you mean, though...
You are sitting there, using your facilities to coach someone, as they work slowly and do lower quality work.
If you were there doing the work, it would go faster and be better.

Sounds like you're just being too nice.
Instead of welding and fab school, get some real work out of him...!!
(People pay good money to go to trade school, not the other way 'round)

Didn't I see a Harley chopper parked there somewhere?
What kind of a Tattoed Biker Boss doesn't haze a prospect?

Don't any of those parts cars out there need sawzalled up?
How about some core beams and suspension parts stripped down, cleaned, blasted and painted?
Wouldn't it be better if your scrap panels collection was blasted and primed?
I always thought solvent tank skills mastery came before any blasting was allowed.. [-X [-X
You 100% sure every single brake backing plate on the entire property is clean and shiny?

I used to work summers as an AC mechanic in Phoenix.
It made me SO happy to go back to school...
Like a little kid who just got a spanking, holding his ass and blubbering as he goes to clean his room..

If you don't send your intern home really, really, glad to be back to school,
Then you are doing BOTH of you a disservice!!

Say it after me..
"THIS is why you stay in school, kid!"

O:) O:) O:) O:) O:)
If you don't get your project done in a "reasonable" amount of time.. You risk having an "dated" rig.. -John Jones

C.Hamburg
purple drank

Postby C.Hamburg » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:57 am

john jones wrote:Corey.. I never thought of you as an intern... There really isn't anything I could teach you Corey... From what I have seen, you got it down..

Yeah I know that John. I do wish I had met you earlier, even then I still probably would have been fresh out of college.

I had a lot of fun working on VW's at the unsuccessful VW shops, but no job security at all, always wondering if boss man was going to pay me.

Not pushing my boys to academic college, if they want to go I'll help them with it, but if they are anything like me they'll want to be craftsmen of some sort of hands on trade. I'd like them to go to trade school or something like that.

Or of course, an internship at KCW, lol you gonna offer them 15-17 years from now? Wink Smile
-Corey

Gretchen Jones

Postby Gretchen Jones » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:14 pm

dmastro wrote: Sounds like both of you are better for the experience. =D> =D> Smile !

I agree with that 100%. There are always benefits to both the teacher and the student..... we "old folks" need to share our knowledge and experiences.... we all benefit!!!!

"Only by giving are you able to receive more than you already have"

\:D/ \:D/ \:D/

willmoss

Postby willmoss » Wed Jan 04, 2017 12:23 am

Well I'm finally checking in on here, and I have to say that I've been having an awesome time learning from John. Aside from honing my welding skills and trying to figure out how to spread mud well enough so that I don't have to spend the rest of the day sanding out mistakes, I've learned a lot about what hard work, taking pride in and having a passion for your work looks like. JJ is really the master of that part. =D>

I think there are other places out there that can fit replacement metal, lay welds, spread, mud, shoot paint, and assemble cars as well as Franz, George, and John can, but none of those places can claim to have the same emotional investment that these guys have in these cars and KCW as a whole, and thats why we're all here cheering them on. Thats also why I can't think of anyone else I'd want to have build a bus for me (not that I'm going to ever have that chance), because John is just a real, hardcore VW guy, and I think thats the draw for me. :-k

I don't know if I can speak for Matt, but even if we interns never had to do this work for a living I think there is a lot of value in learning how to do things yourself; be independent. In my opinion, the value that comes from building something yourself, for yourself, far exceeds the value you'd get from something that you buy already finished or have made. I'm glad I know now how hard work and skill can result in something far more valuable than money could buy, and I'm grateful I've been given the opportunity to learn that from someone as talented and bus crazy as John Jones. =D> =D>

After all this I hope I could have benefited him half as much as he's benefited me. Maybe its more in ways like having someone to be a sarcastic smart ass to late in the evening or give shit to, well, all the time. Pushing each other to keep going and kick ass on the Pamper in our spare time. Or it could just be that I showed him to to control the music in the dirty shop wirelessly and how to do more stuff with Instagram. Wink

But what do I know...I'm just barely 21 years old so everything I said could be totally wrong but oh well. I wish I knew how to use the emojis as well as JJ does though, because right now this post looks like a fucking essay... #-o #-o #-o #-o

Anyway, I'm still here in the boat trying to figure out timing for getting back to KCW tomorrow with this huge storm coming in. Winter storm warning until Thursday night... Shouldn't be a problem though, I've driven through worse. There aren't any major passes between here and there either. I'm antsy to be back in the dirty shop, apparently I'm having too much fun. \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

john jones

Postby john jones » Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:48 am

wow.. that was long.. Just stay there.. There is much more fun to be had there than here.
if you keep going in circles.. Your never gonna get anywhere :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k

john jones

Postby john jones » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:29 am

I forgot to say thanks.. Thanks for the compliments, I am happy I can help you out.. And your welcome... and if you make it back.. well keep doin what we were doin... Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

K Leake

Postby K Leake » Wed Jan 04, 2017 9:20 pm

Did Will find his way back ?
Kevin

willmoss

Postby willmoss » Wed Jan 04, 2017 11:45 pm

K Leake wrote:Did Will find his way back ?

I tried renting a car here today but they won't rent to me because my credit card isn't "major" enough. I don't know what makes them major, so I just booked a greyhound ticket back for tomorrow!

willmoss

Postby willmoss » Thu Jan 05, 2017 3:20 pm

Well, once again I'm stuck in Summit County. ](*,) ](*,)
This time in Frisco. Hitched a ride from Steamboat to the greyhound stop here and found out the bus is still in Denver because its route up here has been cancelled... #-o #-o #-o #-o
Currently working on alternative transportation. [-o< [-o<

I'm starting to think the "adventure" doesn't just follow the VWs, but maybe it just follows me... #-o

Franz

Postby Franz » Thu Jan 05, 2017 6:43 pm

You grew up in Colorado? Don't you know not to travel in the snow? Smile This storm has been on the forecast for days.

68tintop

Postby 68tintop » Fri Jan 06, 2017 7:16 am

willmoss wrote:Well, once again I'm stuck in Summit County. ](*,) ](*,)
This time in Frisco. Hitched a ride from Steamboat to the greyhound stop here and found out the bus is still in Denver because its route up here has been cancelled... #-o #-o #-o #-o

I'm starting to think the "adventure" doesn't just follow the VWs, but maybe it just follows me... #-o

Will if you need a place to crash u know where I am. I am headed to Kcw on Saturday if u need a ride.

Glenn A

Postby Glenn A » Fri Jan 06, 2017 8:16 am

willmoss wrote:Well, once again I'm stuck in Summit County. ](*,) ](*,)

Will its good to see you're getting better at emoji use. =D> =D> \:D/ \:D/

I used to spend all sorts of time with my dad in his workshop. He would pretty much let me do anything from as early as I can remember. I had free rein over his shop and tools, I had my first project car at 14 yrs old. I remember my shop teachers in H.S. and looked forward to those classes. Right out of H.S. I worked for the local town DPW and then A tool and Die shop as an apprentice in the tool room/ building maintenance. I never went to college I had no interest. I loved getting up and going to work looking forward to what I was going to learn. I have so many great memories of those early years.
I made a gross assumption that I would do the same things with my son (13), however he doesn't show any sign of being interested in this type of hands on work. Maybe I'm a piss poor teacher, or maybe its just something you have to be born with the desire for. He is a amazing student and a great athlete. He has actually taught me how to coach baseball/softball. I just hope he can find a path that will provide money and happiness. Because they say if you enjoy what you do you will never work a day in your life.

Good shit happening here at the internship \:D/ \:D/ =D> =D>
60 doublecab.
63 ragtop.
65 EzCamper.
66 doublecab.
10 sportwagen. TDI buyback.

BBWB

Postby BBWB » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:01 am

I have a friend here in Tucson. Total motor head from his earliest memories. Has Four sons. None of them want anything to do with the car hobby or trades. Two of them are fairly decent CNC operators, but don't have fab skills associated with the machinist trades.

My daughters are both in the food server/bartender biz. Oldest one, now that's she's married and has kids is killing it in real estate.

Out of my five brothers, I'm the only one to take up my father's trade. They all have the competence to fix cars and have, but do other jobs.

I think it is the interest. If its there, let your kid go to his/her maximum in what ever pursuit they wish. Support them all the way.
Let me draw you a fucking picture!

Dirtylawnchair

Postby Dirtylawnchair » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:41 am

willmoss wrote:I tried renting a car here today but they won't rent to me because my credit card blah blah blah!

This must be a new thing for rental companies. I've rented a lot of cars in my days and am a grown ass man who makes 6 figures ... tried to rent a car in MI last summer after a long flight with my wife and two young kids. They would not rent me a car because I do not have a credit card .. They would not take cash or my debt card either. Had to have my mother in law come use here card she has for emergencies. 'Merica!
Pigpen wrote:No babies have died in my bus, so it must be working.

Paulie

Return to “Bullshit”