Wren's Ratty Oval

Wren
Hey, KEEVIIN!!!

Wren's Ratty Oval

Postby Wren » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:35 am

My main goal this summer is to get my bus on the road. It’s waiting for some KCW love before I can do much. So in the meantime I‘d like to get this thing running and driving. Don’t think I have a chance of winning but why not enter. Car is a Dec 56 Oval Beetle. This is the first Type one I’ve ever had so it’s all new to me. I’m feeling pretty poor at this point in my life and saving money for the bus project so this is going to be a very low budget build for now. The Beetle is super solid, no rust! The only body damage is in the front fenders. My plan is to try and hammer out the fenders, fix wiring, lights, decklid, brakes, small amount of welding, and get an engine in. Hope to have it running by the end of April. Not a big project but I’m a shitty mechanic so it will be a challenge for me. I’d like to do it all myself, no taking it down to Franz for help. Going to leave it stock height for some off road action. The inside paint is all original. The outside paint is also original but was painted over a long time ago with a darker blue. I’d like to try and buff off the dark blue and get it back to original paint. I’ve wanted a ratty VW for a while and this one has some cool patina.

I'm looking for cheap ass parts as well. Remmber I'm on a budget. Need -

-Ratty deck lid
-Turn signal front lights
-Tail lights
-steering wheel

Jobe
what flip?

Postby Jobe » Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:51 am

Wren, I have a W lid. Im pretty sure its the same color too. I was planning on using on that grey 59' i painted. But it looks like you need it worse. Let me know if you want to check it out.
Big belly Hoes

Cuba

Postby Cuba » Mon Apr 02, 2012 6:08 pm

Paint is going to look sick buffed out... =P~

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon Apr 02, 2012 8:10 pm

Thats a prime beetle-truck conversion canidate! :^o

Hey, I think Creig has 4 new 165 tires that he doesn't have plans for. You should hit him up. I think I have a 6 volt battery too.

jb

Postby jb » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:08 pm

You mofo's with all these rust free solid rides #-o

Looks like some good action with this months builds!!!

john jones

Postby john jones » Tue Apr 03, 2012 2:49 am

Wren if I can help ya out with some used parts I will... I've taken so long to get your bus done I will hook you up how ever I can Wren.. Gonna be a cool ride... I see 165's in the talk.. must be leaving it stock huh..

Wren
Hey, KEEVIIN!!!

Postby Wren » Tue Apr 03, 2012 7:02 am

I like how when you type B u d g e t the KCW spell check changes it to “wife’s limitations”. Thanks guys, I will PM Craig. And talk with Mr. Jobe about the deck lid. Don’t you worry about the bus John. I know you are crazy busy. I owe you for the rest of my life for all your help.
I’m new to the type one here are a couple questions,
-Are bullet bus turn signals the same as oval bullet turn signals? They look the same to me…
-What’s the difference between a 56-57 deck lid and the earlier oval deck lids?
-I have a set of 64 stock wheels are these the same as 56-57 stockers?

dcguy

Postby dcguy » Tue Apr 03, 2012 8:15 am

1) Yes, except the drain holes can be different.
2) Earlier ones could have larger decklid springs and different cut outs for the 'pope's nose (but that's very early).
3) They're the same. I know buses have date stamps, I don't know if the bug ones do?
jp

carpe diem, one day, one life, no more.

Franz

Postby Franz » Tue Apr 03, 2012 9:16 am

The major difference on a 53-55 lid vs a 56-57 lid is the shape of the spring mount. The early ones are triangle shape. The late ones are square.

55 and earlier spring mount:

56-57:

Jobe
what flip?

Postby Jobe » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:21 am

Wren,

My W lid is the mid 55-57 style for the smaller spring.

It is complete with the correct nose and light, but the lens shattered when it fell over in my shed. no rust, kinks, etc. It does have a bullet hole that i'll repair if you would rather not have it. or just say it was a 36hp getaway car.
Big belly Hoes

Wren
Hey, KEEVIIN!!!

Postby Wren » Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:57 am

Bullet holes are ALWAYS COOL! PM me some pictures and a price Jobe.

Jobe
what flip?

Postby Jobe » Tue Apr 03, 2012 11:20 am

I will as soon as i can. I should be back at the shop tonight. Im back down in mccook picking up more cars to move up north today.
Big belly Hoes

Wren
Hey, KEEVIIN!!!

Postby Wren » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:44 am

Started working a little bit on this rig the last couple of nights. Tuesday night I did a cleanup. Degreased the hell out of the underside, pulled out the seats and nasty original headliner. Headliner was packed with bees nests. Last night I got under the car with an angle grinder and wire wheel and knocked all the old under liner paint I could off. Most of the pan under the car and wheel wells still has the original paint! This car deserves a pan off restoration but for now, I’m just going to spray the underside with rubberized under coat. Sprayed most of it last night but left the sections where I need to patch holes or body work. Only have one section of rust. Was found under the passenger side wheel well. Guessing this is pretty normal for beetle rust. Going to tackle the small body work and welding this weekend. The pan on this thing is crazy solid. I’m thinking I may just POR 15 the inside floor for now. Also want to set up my horn audio system this weekend.

dirie1
'Merica

Postby dirie1 » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:23 pm

Wren

I have 2-135's and 2- 165's brand new, just fa you Smile

Lemme know if you need them!
What do you do with 365 used rubbers? Make a tire and call it a Good Year.

Wren
Hey, KEEVIIN!!!

Postby Wren » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:03 pm

Yeah Craig, that will be GREAT! Will the 135s look weird on a stock height beetle? Anyone?
I'm coming over to GJ next Thursday maybe me can meet up. I owe you Craig. Thanks!

Return to “2012 build-offs”