1952 Chevy 3 Window Truck Chopped...

Dirtylawnchair

Postby Dirtylawnchair » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:25 am

Pigpen wrote:No babies have died in my bus, so it must be working.

Paulie

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon Mar 12, 2012 7:56 am

Yarill is in the March build-off. This should be good.

tylorDURBEN

Postby tylorDURBEN » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:56 am

\:D/ thank you Franz!

quick recap of the weekend...

Saturday we spent the day taking the motor/trans and rear end out. i finished welding the rear end and we painted the frame and rear end. we also finished welding the motor mount brackets and trans cross memeber, painted them too.

Sunday we went in and finished prepping the motor/trans for its paint job. we wanted it to pop a little so decided to go with Gloss White. also painted the 4-link and pan hard bar to match in white.

that brings us to Monday night... reinstalled the rear end with the freshly painted 4-links and pan hard bar, also mounted the rear shocks. got the motor back in too.

tonight we plan to begin installing engine accessories (water pump, fuel ext) finally make some cab mounts front and rear and install the rear airbags. that should be a good push forward.

tylorDURBEN

Postby tylorDURBEN » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:55 am

progress for the past week was a bit weak. however it was progress non the less. we finally fabbed the cab mounts (i didnt snap pics, but will), mounted the air tank, fitted the stock brake pedal cause we are going to do an under cab master cylinder (more on that this week), got the cab off the frame and began the work of shaving the firewall, also got another coat of yellow primer on the roof. we also installed the airbags.

this week we will have lots more done, i promise.

i had to reposition the tank brackets and section them length and height to fit nice...

my plan for firewall shaving a bit cleanner than welding up 50 plus holes...

roof in primer, making template for firewall, using 16 gauge metal i think for the fill, it should be nice and flat for a smooth finish...

till next time!

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Thu Mar 22, 2012 5:16 am

Looks killer as always =D>

I use 16 gauge for all my sheetmetal repairs. Might be a little more work to get it into shape, but welding is so much easier and less likelihood for warp.

tylorDURBEN

Postby tylorDURBEN » Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:18 am

well we have made more progress on the truck. we can officially say that it has brakes. we bent and installed all the hard lines and rebuilt the rear drums. with the master cylinder mounted under the cab on the frame we were able to bleed the brakes. then with the cab off we began floor repair work. the center floor section was left off so that we can fab a hump to clear the tranny. once that is finished the cab will come back off for undercoating ext.

we also sealed battery box hole and a few other holes we will not be using. next we will open a hole for the dual reservoir master on the driver floor.

this week we hope to have exhaust intalled and the cab finally mounted once and for all so that we can begin electrical installation and steering connections.

tylorDURBEN

Postby tylorDURBEN » Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:31 pm

today we got exhaust! ran pipes from ram horn style manifolds all the way to the back of the back tires. we also got a couple more parts on the motor.

here are some pics of the body mounts, for the rear cab mounts i kept the stock s-10 tabs and made spacers, large washers will shim the final bit of height if need be. the front cab mounts i made from box tubing. no spacer required cause i welded them up higher. you can also see the work done to mount the master cylinder / booster under the cab and maintain the stock brake pedal.

the trans tunnel was completed, using a 64 VW bug roof that i previously cut out for a ragtop install... good metal put back to use. the main areas of the firewall were also completed. only the smaller holes are left now.

lots of work! goal is now to undercoat the cab and secure it to the frame so that we can begin the task of wiring and plumbing everything!

ramzrod

Postby ramzrod » Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:14 am

=D>
Ramsey
|o\®/o|

tylorDURBEN

Postby tylorDURBEN » Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:28 am

well, im not satisfied with what we got done. but the month is up so here is what we did get done...

1. body mock up
2. swap rear end (weld new bag n 4link brackets
3. paint rear frame and rear end
4. mount / fab motor trans brackets
5. more mock up
6. paint front frame
7. paint motor / trans gloss white
8. install motor trans / add some parts
9. mount air tank (flip brackets / section)
10. shave firewall smooth
11. yellow primer roof
12. rebuild brakes
13. fab / mount master under cab to frame
14. bleed adjust brakes
15. rusty floor repair
16. more parts on motor / exhaust system
17. assemble rear airbags / shocks ect
18. finish body mounts

it was a huge push in the right direction. we are much closer now than ever before. we will be driving this in April, not to Austin as intended but i think that without a goal or "deadline" projects take much longer.

sorry for the copy paste Franz i didnt realize the "build off" was exclusive.

tylorDURBEN

Postby tylorDURBEN » Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:03 am

sorry for the copy past Franz but here is an update on this truck...

we hustled on the truck to make a local July 3rd show. fired the motor up for the first time since it was rebuilt. found water in the oil! rad fluid is making its way into the oil, so no show. we did manage to finish putting the body back together. John bought new bed from Mark-K and we bolted the old fenders to it. this thing sits low, the roof line is under my shoulder! we cant wait to drive this thing, but now we have to go deal with the engine builder, fuck our life!

Franz

Postby Franz » Sun Jul 01, 2012 11:38 am

That shit is hammered! Sounds like you have a leaking or incorrect head gasket...You guys can probably fix it with parts from napa....I'd be ripping those heads off to see what the situ is.

BTW, I saw your shoebox in a magazine last night while I was browsing. Cool!

tylorDURBEN

Postby tylorDURBEN » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:14 am

yeah the thing is that my budy spent top dollar to have that motor built and now he is all bumbed out. he is going to talk to the engine builder today (an older dude that has been doing this for 40 years!) to see what we can do, i would hate to have to take the motor out, especially if its only head gaskets!

ill keep ya posted see what news i get tonight.

yeah pretty cool i went and bought a few copies! thanks!

john jones

Postby john jones » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:17 am

That truck is sick...
Fortress has been secured.. Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
No new dirty shop projects. [-X [-X [-X don't even ask... [-( [-( [-( [-(

PeteSC

Postby PeteSC » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:38 am

Love your work, Yaril. =D>
Meh.

Phat Bug

Postby Phat Bug » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:48 am

That is Badass!