Formula V Trailer

GarryA

Formula V Trailer

Postby GarryA » Wed Jan 25, 2012 12:59 am

Finally decided that I would post up this project. Started jut after new years and have been working on it nights and weekends.
As I bought it. Built in the early sixties in the midwest. Inspection stickers show it spent some time in New Hampshire. I picked it up from a guy here in South Carolina. He sold his formula V car and had no use for the trailer. I wanted something to move cars around, pick up more rust buckets or haul carcasses off to the metal recyclers.
Plans were just to clean it up a bit. Suspend any further major rust, add some running lights, correct the tail lights, make new ramps, and weld up some ragged metal on the rear. Some good tie down points were also in the plan. HF put one of their small winches on sale so I opted to update that as well.
Not intended to be a show trailer, just functional and clean enough to make easy to use.

First thing I did was remove the tire rack.
That made the trailer usable for moving full bodied cars.
Discovered that the winch was to far back and would be too high for a lowered car.

First was a quick spray with the pressure washer. Then a once over with a wire wheel in a 4 inch grinder to know off any remaining scale and loose paint. A coat of Rustoleum rusty metal primer was applied. I did not take any pics before starting to apply the primer. Was not expecting to post this up.
Ring for safety chains added.
Front tie down points. HF specials.
Rear tie downs added. New brackets made to put tail lights back in original locations. Protected inside pipes.
The rear box rail was cut at a clean straight line. Flat bar was welded in and wrapped around the rear edge. Much better finished look and sure to have added strength. Plus no more holding water and rust potential. This also allows more clearance for lowered cars. Or a totally slammed Binz.
2x3 cross member was rusted out on the bottom. Cut it out and put two 1 1/2 square braces in place.
Fenders are made from sections of the barriers found on the interstate. Thick plastic. They will never dent or rust.
I had some anti skid additive left over from another project so I mixed it with some gray floor paint. Applied it down the center of the runners.
Literally poured it out of the mixing can and used a throw away roller to spread it out.
Primed and waiting to dry.
Runners turned out pretty good. Took two coats to get desired texture.
The wires rubbing against bare metal concerned me. So I split some vinyl tubing and placed it over the wires.
Laid on my back and painted the underneath first. Rustoleum again, and once again applied with a 1 inch diameter six inch wide roller.
Started wiring up the winch. Mostly just shortening the wires.
Rubbermaid tub used to cover winch. That should keep the weather off it.
I made this bracket to hold the winch, fairhead, electric box and control switch in one compact package.
Winch wired and mounted.
I used 1/2 inch stainless bolts run through the rear cross member and welded in. Hole drilled for retainer pin and wing nut to hold tight. This holds the rams in place in the rear. Bungee cords or straps keep them from bouncing around up front.
The finished product. Bungee cords hold the winch cover in place.
Tail lights are now protected inside original pipes.
Vinyl tubing over the wires painted black blends in.
The DC needs to take a ride to the DMV for a new title.
The replacement tail lights were left over from an 80s dune buggy. All the paint products were left over from other projects. Bits of scrap metal used for the winch mount. So I got off fairly cheap buying a couple of stainless bolts, both the tie down rings and a winch that were on sale at HF. Rubbermaid box, 2 new boards for ramps, and the running lights that were also on sale at HF.
Last edited by GarryA on Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Franz wrote:Your goals suck.

scottsain
Bryan Adams

Postby scottsain » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:32 am

looks good gary. will a narrowed front end car fit?

should have done that at tim's place so at least some work would be going on there.
VW Drag Night 2017!
July 7-8
Orangeburg Dragstrip, Neeses SC
www.vwdragnight.com
BE HERE! FREE FOOD! FREE DRINKS! FAST CARS! LOOSE WOMEN!
www.facebook.com/VWDragNight

CORPSEGRINDER

Postby CORPSEGRINDER » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:43 am

nice job!
much better than this giant steel decked monster I have here.
nice to see a trailer that weighs less than what it hauls.

GarryA

Postby GarryA » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:53 am

CORPSEGRINDER wrote:nice job!
much better than this giant steel decked monster I have here.
nice to see a trailer that weighs less than what it hauls.

It weighs more than you might think. But it's size does keep the weight down.

GarryA

Postby GarryA » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:55 am

scottsain wrote:looks good gary. will a narrowed front end car fit?

should have done that at tim's place so at least some work would be going on there.

Some of the work was done there. I took it home to paint. That way I could work on it each night as late as I wanted.

Woody
yo mama

Postby Woody » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:59 am

Good looking trailer Gary. Have you considered using some early Beetle headlights as back up lights ? Smile
Cheese

GarryA

Postby GarryA » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:35 am

Woody wrote:Good looking trailer Gary. Have you considered using some early Beetle headlights as back up lights ? Smile

I think they are all hoarded up.

Glenn A

Postby Glenn A » Wed Jan 25, 2012 6:59 am

Looks nice Gary. It looks like it's got passenger car rated tires on it. Probably good for formular Vs. You might consider a higher load rating for lugging those super beetles around.
60 doublecab.
63 ragtop.
65 EzCamper.
66 doublecab.
10 sportwagen. TDI buyback.

GarryA

Postby GarryA » Wed Jan 25, 2012 7:48 am

67singleturd wrote:Looks nice Gary. It looks like it's got passenger car rated tires on it. Probably good for formular Vs. You might consider a higher load rating for lugging those super beetles around.

Hey Glenn,
The tires are actually multi-ply truck tires. Would have to look at them again for the exact rating. They should be good for hauling around town. Not expecting to go cross country with it. Building drivers here, not trailer queens. Smile

Old Speed

Postby Old Speed » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:44 am

I like your tail light protection
That's one of the reasons I dont loan out my trailer anymore

GarryA

Postby GarryA » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:02 pm

Those were the original 1965 tail light protectors. The local guy that I bought the trailer from had put a modern set of big square lights behind those. They were very vulnerable there. I just made the cross brackets inside the metal pipes and put the lights back inside the protectors.
I have seen many a tail light get busted off. All my trailers these days have something similar. The actual lights were something I had laying around for years. They fit perfect. But I think that style of light has been around forever, and has been seen on many a home made dune buggy.

Return to “2012 build-offs”