Pathfinder the Resurrection. Not a movie, just a Nissan.

AlanWrench

Pathfinder the Resurrection. Not a movie, just a Nissan.

Postby AlanWrench » Wed Jan 04, 2012 12:16 pm

Yeah, Not a VW... so sue me.

January is already here and I don't have anything collected for the VW projects ATM so I scrounged for something I had lying around I DID have the parts for. I need a truck for hauling and towing things around, taking trash to the dump and something I don't care if it gets messed up. I also want to go goof off around off road from time to time. Winter is here and I got caught out last year with 2 separate snow storms.

So, the subject:

91 Nissan Pathfinder XE 4WD

Goal:

Get it driveable. As cheaply as possible. Possibly more.

The back story:

My mom had a 96 Pathy 4WD that toasted the trans. Seems Pathfinders have a chronic habit of clogging the trans cooler in the bottom tank of the radiator. Once that happens the rear section of the trans is starved for fluid and it burns up the planetaries. You end up stuck in 2nd gear and no reverse!

Dad and I found this 91 Pathfinder 4WD in the local trader rag for like $300.

(insert photo here)

Didn't run, the fella had obviously not treated it well. He said he had the trans rebuilt shortly before it quit running. Talked the guy down to an even $200 and dragged her home.

Once home started inspecting closer. Took off the front splash shield. I noticed that the trans cooler lines had been looped together with one of those glass fuel filters as the splice. One cooler fitting broken off at the radiator. This couldn't bode well for the condition of the trans. Gotta test this thing before dropping it then installing it in a different truck to find it's bad too...

Managed to get it running and I beat on it in the 'yard' (approx 20 Acres to play on at mom and dads) through the woods and up and down hills. The trans held up and no obvious slipping, shifts were solid and where they should be.

Dropped the trans and transplanted into moms truck. No fuss, still running strong today.

Fast forward to ~ 1year later...Monday Jan 2, 2012.

The 91 is still sitting in the same spot we left it, front windows down, exposed to the elements. Trees starting to grow up around and thru it.

(insert photo here)

The old trans I pulled out of moms Pathy is lying outside the shop on the ground, upside down in the dirt. Parts scattered around the shop, some used for other projects probably. I boxed up what I could find, put it all in the cargo area of the truck.

Since it ran until the trans was pulled the first step should be to put a trans back in it right? I grabbed up the remains of the old 4WD trans and a nice 2WD one I had lying around from a JDM engine swap I did in a 240SX.

No pics of the trans tear down. I didn't find my camera until Tuesday night. Disassemble reverse of assemble anyway.

Starting Tuesday night:

Warning, LOTS of PICS. canadians (and 56k) go pound snow 'eh? O:)

Spill yer guts:

The Guts removed:

The hole it left:

2WD output shaft:

Old crusty rusty 4WD trans leftovers:

That's where I left off Monday night.

Now for the reason I'm tearing this apart. Parts comparisons!

4WD vs 2WD shafts:

V6 Bell. and Extension Housing vs. I6 turbo Bell. and tail shaft housing.

Now, time for the Tuesday nights work to commence!

The incriminating evidence.... My GF works evenings and doesn't get home until about 5 hours after I do. The house is mine during that time....it's at or below freezing, I'm not Jobe and I have no parts washer at my home.

Scrub-a-dub... not in the tub. Cleaning the 4WD pan. Dish soap is great for cutting grease... who knew! lol :

Extension housing has dirt in it too:

Halfway done:

I've got a small compressor at my house and it's noisy so I had to alternate between the next pictures and the cleaning above so it's not really in order but who cares....

The output shaft in the transmission has a bushing that supports the input shaft. The 4WD one was starved for oil in this location so the bushing was toast.

I had the output shaft from the 2WD one on hand and another from a different project. I tried removing the first one by pilot bearing removal tool.:

The bearing material was too soft and the bearing was ruined.

Next step... cut the damn thing out! Grabbed the other shaft and my cutoff wheel.:

2 cuts the majority of the way through, 180 degrees out from each other.:

Next I took a chisel and scored the bottom of the cuts to give it a sharp line to concentrate the stress for the next step.

Then chucked the shaft vertical in the bench vise and drove the chisel downward in order to spread the end of the shaft. There is still a small amount of shaft separating the chisel and the bearing that I have to crack open to remove the pressure from the interference fit.

Bushing is free!:

Didn't care about the toasty 4WD bushing. Came out really easily!:

Comparing bad and good:

Started new one in the 4WD shaft.:

IN! The input shaft fits too!:

Right about this time my GF came home an hour early so I had to scramble and get the parts outta the sink. Luckily I had the lights off in the kitchen as she walked through from the garage and as she went upstairs to drop her jacket and stuff off I secreted them away back into the garage and wiped the sink down while talking to her to hide the noise of what I was doing.

She said nothing. I assume I am safe.

Time to assemble!:

Output shaft in:

Circlip on the other side holds it to the planetary sun gear:

Guts halfway back in:

Reverse drum and brake band back in. Input shaft its all the way down.:

Pump set in place and bell housing bolts used to align with the main housing.:

Bell housing back on:

Adjusting the brake band. Tighten to ??in/lbs and back off 2-2.5 turns. Lock it doooowwwn.:

Parking pawl/output shaft speed sensor reluctor. Torington bearing, pawl and circlip:

Assembled:

Time to sort the pan and filter. The 2WD pans are more shallow than the 4WD ones. Nothing wrong with adding more fluid volume on a trans that'll see lots of high loads with more weight, lower (off)road speeds and less airflow over the cooler.

The 2WD in place:

New strainer and gasket:

Comparing the 2WD to the new 4WD strainer. Lower pickup on the 4WD one.

Don't forget the o-ring on the inlet. Lube with trans fluid when inserting. Makes it glide right in!:

The wiring for the shift solenoids is identical on most Nissans as are the plugs and pinouts. The only thing you run into is the length and the other optionals. In the case of the 4WD's you have a trans temp sensor that alerts you with a light on the dash if things get too toasty. I've only seen one come on once and by that point the guts had already let go.

Pulling the JDM harness out:

Pathfinder one in and new filter on.:

Extra temp sensor. I mounted it in a different location nearer the strainer inlet.:

Selector switch. Handles gear position indicator on dash, Starter interlock, reverse lights and computer input for gear position.:

Has an alignment hole here on the body:

When adjusted properly the holes align for the main selector lever, the switch lever and the body when Neutral is selected. There is a special pin for this but I just use the eyeball method and verify with a multi meter for continuity across the starter interlock terminals for Park and Neutral positions.:

That's the end of Tuesday night. Final assembly possibly Wed. night. I promised to go help put a Honda Civic trans together tonight so I may not get anything done worth reporting on. I am getting dinner in return so no single man meal tonight! I did make sure his wife was doing the cooking.

-Alan

Bret

Postby Bret » Wed Jan 04, 2012 1:29 pm

Wow. Thats pretty impressive. You got skills.

Franz

Postby Franz » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:52 pm

I would have kept my $200 Smile And collected another $100 when I recycled the other pathfinder. Smile

AlanWrench

Postby AlanWrench » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:27 am

mrblyoung:

Thanks. I learned to do a lot of this stuff on my own. By starting off watching my dad as a young boy then going on beyond what he knew as I got older. He was self-taught and I followed suit. I broke a lot of shit before I made it better.

Main thing is to not be scared of doing it. It's just metal after all. You put it together wrong and you'll know it.

Only caveat with the auto trans is cleanliness. It won't tolerate any dirt in there.

Franz:

I'll let you explain the economics of that to mom. Good luck! \:D/

There will be a pile to go to the crusher at the end of this so if that's what you want Stay Tuned!

OK! on to last nights work. I got home about 9... after feeding the animals and making sure they didn't destroy the house I got into it about 9:30.

More 2WD vs. 4WD parts comaros....

Smaller 2WD pan vs. the 4WD one.

Enough of that. So last nights work pictures showed how the pan gasket ships in the box... all wadded up in a nice ball that won't lay flat on the pan so what do ya do?

Leave it overnight in a gasket press. Here's mine.

Nice-n-flat.

I also swear by this stuff. It's a Toyota product called FIPG-102. FIPG stands for 'Formed In Place Gasket'. All of the local guys call it FIG-PIG. It requires a really small amount to work and it's not as soft as sillycone when dry. It's more like a soft rubber consistency. Less prone to bits breaking off in your engine or trans and it doesn't seem to be as sensitive to gasoline.

A very thin layer on the pan sealing surface just to act as a glue. Let it dry a bit to get tacky as it's really slippery until it does. Then a thin layer on the gasket and let it tack. No pics of that because it's like watching paint dry.

Pan On!

Time to put the extension housing on.

Assemble the parking pawl.

Pawl arm on.

Drop in the spring and the spool.

Pop the spring end down past the gasket surface. There is a machined recess that the housing centers on the back of the main housing. You have to go past the lip for that and make sure it's on the rough cast surface, not in the machined area or the housing won't drop on all the way.

Extension gasket on, oem gasket and no sealer.

When you put the housing on it's a smart idea to put the selector lever in low range. If in any other gear the engagement cone for the parking pawl might push on the pawl and make putting the bolts in fun.

Low Gear:

vs. Park:

Done.

Gotta install the output shaft speed sensor in the extension housing.:

Done.

Routed and secured the wiring harness. Installed shift selector lever and rod. Fill/dip-stick tube too.

Not needed now but I installed the transfer case selector because I was bored and ran out of stuff to assemble. I'll probably take it back off to move it around under the truck and won't go back on until it's up and on the mounts.

Speaking of mounts... I have the rear mount but I'm missing the bolts that secure it to the extension housing. Just as well because it'd keep the trans from sitting flat on the table. Probably will go back on once in the truck.

Pile of junk to go the scrap yard. Just for Franz. Smile

Wrapped things up by putting away all my tools and was washing my hands off at 10:30.

At this point I'm done until I can get the trans and the truck in the same place. I'm thinking the 64 beetle will go to live at the parents place for a week or two while the Pathfinder will come here to be worked on. Probably will do that sometime between now and Monday. I'll try to move it at night so the neighbors can't see the pile of crap I'm dragging into the garage! 8-[ :-$ O:)

-Alan

AlanWrench

Postby AlanWrench » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:46 am

Thursday night progress pics. This'll be a short one.

In the garage and showing her ugly side. Apparently it sideswiped something at some point in it's life. It had a passenger fender but I sold it to a co-worker over a year ago since we had no intention of doing anything with this thing.

I'll be fixing that mess as part of this build off. Trans work... just added body work... what's next? I'm gonna keep the surprises coming. Stay Tuned!

In and on the stands. Apparently stands tall enough for Beetles aren't high enough for trucks. I need 2 more tall ones.

-Alan

john jones

Postby john jones » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:24 am

damn.. thats a project.. I like your parts washer!

Franz

Postby Franz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:52 am

I wished I cared enough about pathfinders to read all of that. Smile

cookiemonster131

Postby cookiemonster131 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:16 am

ignored this for a few days and then finally read it. Great read and very good mechanical skill and knowledge!
"With all of those VW's in the parking lot i thought it was a Unitarian Church" Hank Hill

kafur1

Postby kafur1 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:07 pm

Franz wrote:I wished I cared enough about pathfinders to read all of that. Smile
thats funny! =D> =D>

Return to “2012 build-offs”