Robin's (not remotely VW) Triumph Spitfire

robin356a

Robin's (not remotely VW) Triumph Spitfire

Postby robin356a » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:12 am

It was going to be my 356A but I want to improve my welding skills before tackling it.

This is a 1969 Mk 3 Triumph Spitfire that I first owned about 10 years ago, I then gave it to my Father as a 60th birthday present (he owned a Spitfire back in the 60's but had to sell it when us kids came along). He drove it for a year and then started to strip it for restoration. After he died in 2008 it sat in my brother's barn and now I've finally made space in my garage to start work on it.

The plan is for it to become my daily driver so rust resistance and practicality will take priority over originality (it had already been fitted with a later engine and wheels when I bought it).

My aim for January is to remove the body and strip the chassis down and if possible strip and rebuild the engine.

ramzrod

Postby ramzrod » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:31 pm

Cool project! Definitely a keeper car especially with your dad's involvement in its history.
Ramsey
|o\®/o|

robin356a

Postby robin356a » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:53 pm

Worked on stripping down the engine today. Luckily it had already been removed from the car which saved some time, unfortunately lack of garage space meant it had stood outside under a cover for about a year so much surface rust and seized bolts.

Left it with penetrating oil in the bores and hopefully the pistons will be free in the morning.

Dan-o

Postby Dan-o » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:34 pm

Sweet spitfire Dude! I have a 69 aswell as a 79. I've owned the 79 since I was 13. Funny that it's your answer to the 356, as mine is my answer to the Lotus 26R. Definately fun little cars to work on. I can't wait to follow your progress.
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

robin356a

Postby robin356a » Wed Jan 04, 2012 2:28 pm

Not much progress today, hours spent removing seized crank pulley and pistons meant no progress on bodywork.

No new pictures, imagine my last post with the first picture showing just a bare engine block and the second with a bigger pile of parts on the bench. Smile

Corrosion in bores means new pistons and rebore but at least current pistons are only first oversize so this will be possible. Better dust off the credit card, this won't be the cheap rebuild I was hoping for. #-o

robin356a

Postby robin356a » Sat Jan 07, 2012 2:28 pm

Thought I would make good progress on the bodywork today but after a few hours digging out fibreglass and filler used directly over rust a new plan is needed. :-k

They had even fibreglassed over the inside of the floor, after chipping it off I find the floor is one of the few panels without much rust. #-o

Nothing to do with the Spitifire build but I thought the thread needed some air-cooled goodness in it. Smile

robin356a

Postby robin356a » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:22 pm

So feeling a bit down after yesterdays setback with the bodywork (more rust and fibreglass than metal) I received a box in the mail.

Shiny new engine parts =D> \:D/

Then headed out to the garage to put new plan into action;

1. Tidy garage and make more space to work on car.
2. Divide garage into clean and dirty shops using heavy guage polythene.
3. Remove body and strip suspension components from chassis.
4. Strip chassis to metal, repair any holes and check alignment.
5. Flip over body and strip underside, repair any holes.
6. Bolt body back onto chassis and start replacing panels.

Plus rebuild the engine when the body repairs get too boring.

Not sure how far I'll get this month but at least I have a plan now.

Notchyours

Postby Notchyours » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:40 pm

Sometimes coming up with the plan, is the hardest part. Looks like you have made a good start.
Franz wrote:
I like seeing our customers cars get beat-up. Rock chips and scratches are cool.

slammed and shiny

Postby slammed and shiny » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:31 pm

356 heads are weird. had some come through the shop a while ago and we had five guys standing around one 356 head trying to figure out why its better than a vw head. finally decided its not. Smile
Franz wrote:.that late model shit is for late models.
Broken glass and a broken jaw.
Lies are told in a southern drawl.
Poor-house poverty's your schtick.
The real thing would kill you quick.

john jones

Postby john jones » Wed Jan 11, 2012 6:54 am

This is a cool project.. I am always apprehensive to work on something I am not very familiar with...

I like your garage...

robin356a

Postby robin356a » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:24 am

Notchyours wrote:Sometimes coming up with the plan, is the hardest part. Looks like you have made a good start.

And like all the best laid plans this one went seriously awry.

Finally back working on the project after 3 weeks of life and illness getting in the way. Most of the plan will now move into the February build-off but I did manage steps 1 and 2

1. Tidy garage and make more space to work on car.
2. Divide garage into clean and dirty shops using heavy guage polythene.

This is now the Dirty Shop

Also picked up re-bored engine block from the machine shop so engine reassembly can start.

Summary;

Not much progress but still lots of enthusiasm for project.

January Is Dead. Long Live February.

P.S. New priority - Get a heater for garage, it's freezing out there.

robin356a

Postby robin356a » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:30 am

slammed and shiny wrote:356 heads are weird. had some come through the shop a while ago and we had five guys standing around one 356 head trying to figure out why its better than a vw head. finally decided its not. Smile

I think the main difference is the extra zeros added to the price for anything 356. :-k

robin356a

Postby robin356a » Tue Jan 31, 2012 11:44 am

john jones wrote:This is a cool project.. I am always apprehensive to work on something I am not very familiar with...

I like your garage...

I'm kind of the opposite, which is probably why I've never owned more than one of the same make of car. Although this had meant some expensive mistakes in the past, I think the 356 is the only sensible buy I've ever made.

My garage is thanks to an understanding landlord, it was a dirt floored single garage when I moved in but he had no problem with me extending it. I just copied the existing design (with some extra workspace at the end), joined the two together and then cut the wall out of the original. \:D/

From This.

To This

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:27 pm

robin356a wrote:Not sure how to move existing thread from January but maybe a new start is a good idea.

Target for February is to finish January Target;

3. Remove body and strip suspension components from chassis.
4. Strip chassis to metal, repair any holes and check alignment.
5. Flip over body and strip underside, repair any holes.
6. Bolt body back onto chassis and start replacing panels.

Got started on the body today, trying to be logical so started at front of car and worked back.

Removed bonnet, rad brackets, wiring loom back to bulkhead, all electrical components on bulkhead and pedal assemblies. Slow work but some bolts have not moved for 40 years so glad to remove them slowly and not shear the heads off.

Today's Progress

Bits of Spitfire (boring picture but it does show some progress Smile )

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:28 pm

robin356a wrote:Windscreen frame and screen removed today, glass came out in one piece =D>

Wasted a few hours trying to reach the nuts hidden up behind the dash to remove it but it finally came out.

Found even more fibreglass in the footwells, not sure how much car wil be left once the rust, fibrelass and filler is gone. #-o

Should have suspension removed tomorrow, things are moving faster as the weather gets warmer.

Return to “2012 build-offs”