Scott's 1964 Homebuilt Highroof Hack

Pigpen
What vasectomy?

Postby Pigpen » Wed Jan 11, 2012 11:55 am

That's what it's all about Scott... It's great to see how motivated you guys are right now.. The website is crazy with readers rides and updates.. It's honestly hard to keep up.. ](*,)

You guys rock!! Keep up the progress.. =D>

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Wed Jan 11, 2012 2:57 pm

I learned alot from you and John when it came to metal work on the stretched truck. I still have a ton more to learn. If I can scare up some more cash this summer I want to come up there and get the truck in color with your guys help again....and John's permission. =P~

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Sun Jan 22, 2012 8:11 am

Well after a two week hiatus I am back on it. I spent last weekend visiting my grandpa in Albuquerque, NM for his 93rd birthday with the whole fam damily. ](*,)

Yesterday was my first day back on this project. I was determined to finish up the rust repair on the roof. I got the rust repair done next will be to strip the house paint off of it and do some minor body work to it and get it primed. Once that is done I can start fitting the poptop roof. I was outside working on this at 7am and didn't go inside again until 6pm. Damn long day.

I know it doesn't look like much but it took forever trying to get the curvature on the patch pieces to match the roof. I think I did an ok job with it. This morning my friggin shoulders are killing me from having done all the work at my eye level.

I also lost focus for an hour or two to play with my latest acquisition a '66 poptop walk thru westy. The previous owners were some hippies who had lived out of it at times etc over the last 29 years they had owned it. I had to clean it out and fill up my 2 garbage cans with the crap before the garbage man comes this monday. Can you say disco kiddies?

Yeah the bundle of wires hanging off the passenger side mirror arm was for the tow lights so they could haul this behind their 1959 Chevy school bus. The wiring was made from an old orange heavy duty extension cord and runs the length of the bus. [-X

Pigpen
What vasectomy?

Postby Pigpen » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:05 pm

Scott.. You always have the coolest shit!!! Smile

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:07 pm

No cool shit, just lots of shit and limited skills, money and time.

Woody
yo mama

Postby Woody » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:27 pm

Hippies, living in it, I would Love to smell the inside of that thing :^o Scott how do you find all this stuff ?
Cheese

Woody
yo mama

Postby Woody » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:29 pm

OH, I am just old enough to remember when those rear wheels were the SHIT ! wanted a set so bad I couldnt stand it, luckily I was never "lucky" enough to get a set Smile
Cheese

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:26 am

Both my build off bus and the poptop were both on craigslist locally over the last month or so. The build off bus sat on there for a week before I even bothered to look at it and the poptop came up for sale while I was out of town recently and when I got back days later only a couple people had looked at it and no one bought it so I grabbed it. Luck and patience I guess? :-k

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Sat Jan 28, 2012 6:04 pm

Busted ass on the bus with little results....again. I thought I would aim to DA the whole roof spread some filler and prime the top by the end of the weekend. Scratch that, as I started to sand I found more rust in the drivers side roof above the rain gutter. ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

So I spent my day cutting out more rust and welding in more patches. Got most of them welded in today. Tomorrow I will aim to sand the roof and start skimming the welds with filler.

Off to dinner with the wife for her birthday.

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:55 am

Again not much done. ](*,)

I pulled the drivers seat out, another previous owner install to find one of the seat sliding mounts cut out. I spent a good hour or two playing with different seat ideas but my results for that will come in next months build off. Got to wait on parts I ordered.

I also wire wheeled about half the house paint from the roof of the bus. That was a chore.

Last but not least I finally figured out what the hell the creative use of a shelf bracket was all about. Gotta love backyard engineering to solve the whole popping out of 4th gear issue on long drives. So now I am assuming I will be having to rebuild the transmission in the future as well.

john jones

Postby john jones » Mon Jan 30, 2012 6:16 am

NICE mod to hold it into 4th!!!

ramzrod

Postby ramzrod » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:06 am

john jones wrote:NICE mod to hold it into 4th!!!

x2
Ramsey
|o\®/o|

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:21 pm

Most of you guys kicked my ass in this first month so I am not in the running in my eyes. Just makes me want to bust ass more next month. Anyhow, here is my January summary.

- Cleaned out the bus of 2 tons of crap
- Pressure washed it in and out
- Removed about 400sqft of styrofoam
- Removed the big ass highroof top
- Welded up the 80+ holes that held the roof on
- Fixed multiple sections of rust above the rain gutter (should have just welded on a donor roof, probably would have been quicker) ](*,)
- Removed hacked in front seat

Thats about it, got more done than I thought when I looked back at everything. Next month however I expect myself to have the top painted, poptop on. front seats figured out and maybe this thing running?????? Lofty goals but I am determined. I got other toys wanting my love and money.
Start:
Present:

Thanks for the motivation

C.Hamburg
purple drank

Postby C.Hamburg » Mon Jan 30, 2012 4:29 pm

I like that 4th gear mod. I needed one of those in my old EZ Camper.
-Corey

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:16 pm

I finally spent some time on this rig. Spent all last weekend doing other shit so I was determined to get on this. I fabbed my own swivel seat for it. I couldn;t find a damn flip seat like I had hoped so I went with option 2. I found a set of old NOS swivel seat mounts from a boat on Ebay. These are unique in that they lock in 12 different positions. Most boat swivels have no way to lock them into place. So here are a few pics of my creation. Not bad for my first time out I guess. It works! Now I need to trim the bulk head back but it worked! I am amazed with myself. Now the drivers side is going to be tricky, Oh yeah, this will be a double swivel seat camper. HAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Then I started spreading a little mud on it as well. My goal next weekend will be to get the drivers seat done and hopefully get the pop top on the bus.

My pictures.

Return to “2012 build-offs”