Scott's 1964 Homebuilt Highroof Hack

vwfool

Scott's 1964 Homebuilt Highroof Hack

Postby vwfool » Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:09 pm

Here is my entry into this competition. I picked up this little gem off craigslist locally. I bought it by flashlight late one evening. Once I got up the next morning I gave it a good once over. Turns out to be an odd ball bus. It's an early '64 Kombi so it has the large rear window and inward vents but still running ice pick front doors. It was originally a solid dove blue Kombi and for some unknown reason the previous owner felt he needed to build a funky highroof on it. He constructed it out of aluminum and hacked a big ass hole in the roof. He also didn't like the stock front seats and hacked the wall into a "V" walk thru and installed only a drivers seat. Guess he didn't have any friends. At least it is fairly rust free outside of the outer rockers and a small section of the cargo floor behind the drivers side seat. The story I was told was the previous owner used this bus to drive all thru Mexico and South America on extended journeys. The old man previous owner died in 1995 so the bus has sat since.....should be interesting to see if anything still works.

But now it is mine and I am trying to figure out which way to go with it when it comes to unfucking it. The top was beat to hell and not done very well. Plus every spot you could put styrofoam in as insulation this guy did using some funky glue, hence all the dots.....everywhere. I filled both of my garbage cans today with styrofoam and other trash I found in the bus. Then I moved on to removing the top. 80+ screws later I was able to toss the roof off the bus. Then I gave this pile a good bath with soap and water until I ran out of daylight. Today was a long ass day and I made some good progress. Not sure what I will do tomorrow.

I am thinking of making this into a camper of some sort. I would like to convert it to a flip seat front seat. Anybody out there have a set of flip seat brackets to sell me? Ronnie, I am sure you have a few sets collecting dust somewhere.

Anyhow here are the pictures.
Last edited by vwfool on Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:42 am

That looks 1000x better without that stupid roof on it.

Mounting the nose emblem on the roof probably kept all of the 15 year old Bestie Boy wannabe's from stealing it to wear on a chain around their necks. Smile

Whistlebritches

Postby Whistlebritches » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:03 am

What he said^^^^
Looks like a cool project now Smile
Funny.. getting that roof off alone would be a January goal for a lot of us :-# Smile

Pigpen
What vasectomy?

Postby Pigpen » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:17 am

Are you kidding Scott?!?! We got you over the hump on your deluxe truck, and you pick this pile??? ](*,)

RetroCustom

Postby RetroCustom » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:19 am

What you gonna do about the hole in the roof? Sliding sunroof?

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Mon Jan 02, 2012 9:01 am

Kevin, my truck needs ALOT more work done to it metal wise and I am not sure my skill set is at the level it needs to be to tackle it. Maybe I will have to make another trip up there this summer if I can afford it so you and John and I can work on it again for a week and maybe get it in color.

This hack job is a more budget minded build. The roof.......fuck no idea. I thought maybe I could do a sunroof clip and have a sunroof kombi but it is cut so large. I was thinking about buying a roof clip from my buddy Terry in Tucson and build some kind of one off ugly ass camper like this...

But then again I don't think my skill set is up to that either.

So my plan is to use the camper top I have been dragging around for a couple of years. Here is a pic of it on my old '62 standard.

Currently it is sitting on my 23 window locked away in storage. But first I need to fix the rust spots on the roof from the previous highroof thing that trapped moisture on the roof and caused it to rust in several places. ](*,) ](*,)

I also need to figure out something to do with the front seat set up. Ideally I want a flip front seat if I can get one. Otherwise I will have to find a bulkhead wall or a walk thru section.

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:25 am

Not alot done, at least nothing picture worthy. I took the roof to the scrap guy yesterday afternoon and collected a a cool $21.00

Then I started welding up the little screw holes on the passenger side of the bus, got those done and ground down then started working on the rusted out spots of the roof also on the passenger side. 2 of 3 patches cut out and welded back in......then the sun went down.

It's getting there.

ramzrod

Postby ramzrod » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:44 pm

You can probably just seal up the hole with a donor roof. But if you want the hole, a poptop of some sort would be cool. Maybe a "stretched" westfalia poptop.
Ramsey
|o\®/o|

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:31 am

The roof is so fuckered up that replacing the roof I would have to replace it thru the windows as the sides of the opening are bent up. So it lends itself to the poptop idea. Plus I have that camper top laying around so it is a perfect fit.

I scored a Type 3 engine hatch and surrounding metal yesterday afternoon only to discover when I got home the hole above the engine is cut for something larger like a Vanagon. Fuck! ](*,) ](*,)

Now I am going to try and locate a Vanagon opening and hatch this week if time allows.

Franz

Postby Franz » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:49 am

Put a Street Beat rag in it.

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Wed Jan 04, 2012 11:43 am

I could. But I have no money right now for stuff. Trying to save some $$'s up to buy my dad's sweet ass double cab. I will probably be selling off this bus along with some others to afford the truck in the coming months.

Plus I have always wanted to build a camper.

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:13 pm

No luck finding a vanagon hatch section yesterday. But I did find a stock section to cut out of another bus so it looks like I will be fixing it back to stock soon.

Continued to repair the patches of rust in the roof...nothing exciting and didn't get much time to work on stuff. I hope to hit it again tomorrow. I am doing family time tonight.

My one pic of my progress.....oh so exciting \:D/

john jones

Postby john jones » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:17 am

I like that big top on there.. If you made it all function.. So you are going to weld up that huge ass hole in the roof? humm... thats going to be fun.. :^o

Franz

Postby Franz » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:51 am

I've been thinking about this lately, as I have a bus that has a huge hole in the roof.

How hard would it be to make a fake sub-hatch. I think a guy could use a shrinker/stretcher on some 2" stips of 20 gauge to make a edge of the both sides of the hole opening. Then weld a piece of sheet metal to the inside piece, add some hardware, a seal, and done.

vwfool

Postby vwfool » Wed Jan 11, 2012 10:21 am

I guess it could be done. A big ass subhatch would be cool but probably way above my skill level at the moment.

I am going to install the camper top on the bus and make it fully functional. At least that is my goal. I want this to be a respectable camper. Plus it gets the camper top off of my 23 window so maybe some day I will get around to working on it.

I haven't done shit on this rig since my last posting, been busy with family and work obligations. I am losing another weekend of productivity as I will be in Albuquerque this long weekend to celebrate my grandpa's 90th birthday. But once I am back I have to hurry and bust ass on this bus so I can not only win month one of this build off but I am dying to get it going and have fun with it. This builder challenge is helping me stay motivated.

I am happy seeing the work everyone else is putting into their rides. This has been productive for many of us. Win or lose I will be closer to get this pig back on the road.

Return to “2012 build-offs”