64 pick up

soulsurfer26

64 pick up

Postby soulsurfer26 » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:49 am

Call it an inactive account or simple lurking, the January build off made it time to bring up my story and one of my projects...

My name is Martin, 30 years old, Dutch VW addict.. on weekdays between 9 and 5 I’m an IT nerd, on Tuesday nights and Saturdays I’m a do it all at a Dutch VW shop called VW Classics.

During the past years I’ve had quite some projects and most of those never finished before they went out of the door, but three years ago I gladly bought an OK standard beetle from 1960 that I lowered and detailed to my liking, drove it to some events and being a car that needs double clutching and has cable breaks, I really like it.

Being one of two that does most of the car loading at the VW Shop, I got a task last January to go to south of Belgium to pick up two oval window beetles late on a Thursday evening. Entering the garage of the customers I saw this amazing black plated 1955 USA oval ragtop shell on wheels.. minor rust “issues” and great “patina” as u can imagine I had to have it and called the boss, stating it should become mine, since it was already late in the evening, he decided I’d put it in the shop on my return and we’d talk about it in the morning. On the 2 hour drive back to the shop, I completely build the car in my mind, keep the rusty patina, new interior, bling wheels, everything was there. The day after that, a deal was made and “another” project was on my name. The same weekend we had a big Dutch event called Kever Winter Festijn (Beetle Winter Fest), it’s the first (big) Dutch meeting of the year so you meet all your VW friends and get to talk about all that you’re working on. I tried to keep my new project a secret, but couldn’t keep my mouth shut and said “ I’ll drive it to Ninove in the Airmighty cruise to Ninove..”. Ninove is a small village where loads of VW guys drive up during a short weekend in March and have one of the first meetings of the season, but as this meeting is held in March, I set quite a deadline for a guy with a rolling shell and jobs worth 6.5 days a week. Since the ideas were there and the paint/rust wasn’t going to be touched except for three out of four fenders that needed to be matched to this patina, I decided that this 3 months deadline was reachable. So.. being allowed to keep the car at the VW shop many of my free evenings I drove from one job to the other to get this project on the road, spending more time and money than expected, but also having less setbacks than expected. 1 week before the 500 km trip, the car went to the test station where it’s mechanically checked and the American title was taken. All that was left was some serious lowering and wait for the title to be sent to my address... The day before the big trip the car was ready, but no title, feeling kind of sad everything was ready except for the paperwork making it impossible to drive, my boss decided I could use the company plates, u can’t believe how great I felt driving up there and back.... \:D/

Now both the Beetle Winter Fest and Ninove are approaching again and the January build off sounds to me as a great motivation to move into this project and get it back on the road...

So, what is it? I found a 1964 T1 Pickup from Denmark at a local guy that buys and sells a lot of VWs. It that has serious rust issues underneath, but also some nice looks that ask to be left as is. It needs Dutch license plates and lowering. I’m considering a faded sexwax logo on the doors and original 14 inch wheels on it.

As for Janury.. during the last week of December I’ll try to do a lot of work to this project, but I’m sure there is still a lot to do during January....

Franz

Postby Franz » Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:56 am

The first overseas built participant. YEAH! Keep em coming. More builds!

Pigpen
What vasectomy?

Postby Pigpen » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:31 am

Two trucks in the Showdown.... \:D/

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:43 pm

If it ain't dutch, it ain't much Smile

john jones

Postby john jones » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:24 am

That beetle is pretty sick.... nice SC.. any progress yet?

soulsurfer26

Postby soulsurfer26 » Wed Jan 11, 2012 12:07 pm

Thanks John,

SC had much much much more rust then anticipated, so I put it up for sale and it's allready gone, didn't feel good to go for it since the main chassis beams were very crispy... I'll be back next month with a serious update on my gray standard.
'55 extremely early oval
'55 rusty oval ragtop
'61 ratlook or Madnessssss

Return to “2012 build-offs”