57 Single Cab Project

vdubinit

57 Single Cab Project

Postby vdubinit » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:39 am

Here's my new Project that I've been slowly working on when time allows but hopefully this build off challenge will kick this project into the next gear !

I bought it with a scary type three rear subframe transplant sooo out with the old in with the new !

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

vdubinit

Postby vdubinit » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:45 am

vdubinit

Postby vdubinit » Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:56 am

It took forever to get these gates off half the bolts were snapped off and the other half broke off while trying to get those off as well. There were just regular hex head bolts holding the gates on, one bolt per hinge .

Broke to many snap on drill bits on that job [-X

I had to open up the body a bit to repair the nut plates becuase some of the nuts started to spin in the nut plate behind the body so that was awesome too lol what turned out to be just taking the gates off turned into a great few days . I also got some 2x4 and other blocks are tweaked the gates straighter than being bowed out in the middle like how I bought it

vdubinit

Postby vdubinit » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:01 am

the front floors were wasted so I got that crap out and the front nose was hit and a little rusty so got that out as well

vdubinit

Postby vdubinit » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:08 am

A little Sandblasting

vdubinit

Postby vdubinit » Wed Dec 14, 2011 3:20 am

got the floor trimed here and there to fit right stuff the steering columm back in checking the angle

I had to transfer the gas pedal tab to the new floor little drilling and chiseling weld weld

Anyone one know why my old floor had two holes in it veruses the new floor from gerson ? (in between the screwdriver theres two holes in my old floor and zero holes in my new floor

Jobe
what flip?

Postby Jobe » Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:07 am

It looks like your off to a good start! =D>
Big belly Hoes

Pigpen
What vasectomy?

Postby Pigpen » Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:49 am

Oh yea!!! I'll be watching this one..

vdubinit

Postby vdubinit » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:38 pm

Pigpen wrote:Oh yea!!! I'll be watching this one..

Awesome I'll probably be asking a grip of questions I'm sure but first question is when does this contest start ? January 1st ?

vdubinit

Postby vdubinit » Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:48 pm

Hung the sheet metal

As for now this is were it stands I need to find a way to get this outer skin to line up without stressing the metal to conformto the OG metal.

then the bottom nose looks wrong so gunna sleep on it and try something else and make sure every thing is fitted right ... its been a while since I cut all the rust and damage out.
I can also see the nose needs to be pulled on due to the impact .
THe gerson lower nose panel wont cover all the damage that happened so I;ll probably have to pull on it and hammer and dollie the edge were its cut so it can be flat again and not wrecked in at an angle????

Oh ya the rear end got hit too ](*,)

vdubinit

Postby vdubinit » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:12 am

Damm this is late for me but im just gunna get it done I want to fix the rear end sheetmetal already lol

I was reading the rules ... guess I didn't introduce myself

well long time forum member everyday lurker lol, love the rides and enuthiasm on this site and all the cool info and pictures on the builds and all the B.S. that keeps my VW blood pumping.
My name is Ryan from the Central Coast CA just turned 32 been into VW's forever it all started with a go-kart I dugged up out my parents backyard when I was 12 got it running the rest is history my older brother got a 70's convertible bug I thought it was the coolest thing ever, I think I worked on it more than he ever did just. becuase I always took off in it when I was 14 to cruise the nieghborhood to find the chicks lol.
I thought I was all cool and shit lol I've basically have been imployed by VW Audi since I was 18 been working on all that new waterpumper hooplaa lol and ventured off to the other fine german maunfactures bmw and mercedes
But Aircooled is in the blood its been my hobby forever just like "you" if your still reading this ! lol . But I can happily say I got my own shop now been open for 3 years ... a hard ass three years but rewarding but thats my story for the most of it hopefully I can share some other projects I have brewing
Well anyways yeah this shits cool a build off challenge VIA Internet I want that shirt !
Last edited by vdubinit on Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

vdubinit

Postby vdubinit » Fri Dec 16, 2011 1:45 am

Well this is definetly the most metal work I have ever had to do on any of my rides but some other projects I have need welding as well so that why I figured why not just start fixing the single cab I cant hurt it anymore than what is was, with its type 3 rear subframe okie straigh axle kit all welded up there. lol
As for practicing I had that lower inner valance panel on wrong I think theres a pic of it lol those end pieces had to be tucked behind those flat panels on the lower A pillar piece once I did that and pulled the OG nose a bit things started lining up a bit but I still had to modify the gersone panel to fit don't know if anyone else had to do that but it was the only way I could get it to fit but its tacked up and looks titties

Uploaded with ImageShack.usKCW BEAM!!!

Buck67

Postby Buck67 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:50 am

what are those copper color small pins holding together your new sheet metal in those pics before welding? And where and I get some?

AlanWrench

Postby AlanWrench » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:11 am

Buck67 wrote:what are those copper color small pins holding together your new sheet metal in those pics before welding? And where and I get some?

They are called Clecos.

Used in manufacturing of aircraft and race cars.

Aircraft Spruce sells them as well as many other online suppliers.

-ALan

Scorpion

Postby Scorpion » Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:13 am

those things are called cleco's they are most often use in the Aircraft industie

-Wilmer-

Is There life after death? Steal my Golf and you will know it ;)

Return to “2012 build-offs”