'69 Vert

DaKine

Postby DaKine » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:20 pm

Jobe wrote:
BEANS wrote:Image

Holy Camber! you need to do a trans raise!

That pic is badass Smile
-Jon

Señor Ryan D wrote:I MAKE YOGART TO THIS!!!!

http://www.vimeo.com/16806035

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:13 pm

Took about 30 mins, but I was able to get the rear axle nuts off this afternoon. Got the neighbor to come over and help. Had to heat up the passenger side and the 36mm on a breaker bar with 3 ft of pipe #-o

soulsurfer26

Postby soulsurfer26 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:58 pm

DaKine wrote:
Jobe wrote:

Holy Camber! you need to do a trans raise!

That pic is badass Smile

x2, must be even cooler with some big wheels in the back and a nice vert on top of it =P~
'55 extremely early oval
'55 rusty oval ragtop
'61 ratlook or Madnessssss

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:50 pm

No updates picture wise, but my machinist stopped over at lunch yesterday and we went over the final plan for the front air brackets. I made some changes that will enable me to run a shock in the center. He's going to get them cut out for me by the weekend, and I'm hoping for some assembly action.

66111 monroe is what I'm planning on using. It has the shortest collapsed measurement I could find that will bolt up, and still pretty beefy in terms of diameter on the tubes. <----- Its a shock used for those big rig cabs that have airride on the back to cushion the ride.

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:40 pm

progress tonight

-Rear drums off (driver side was a bugger).
-Front lower torsion cut and drilled.
-Upper through rod, fitted, cut, and drilled.
-metal parts that lock onto through rod cut (.75"x.75" machined out of some plate)

So now I have a list buildup for the visit to the steel warehouse. May make that trip tomorrow, or Monday.

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Fri Feb 17, 2012 8:44 am

So I've come to the conclusion that if I want to have any chance of driving this car this year, that I need to get moving. With that said, I've put the airride on hold and am going to go static. I know I change my mind way too much......

Last night I was able to get both springplates notched, cleaned up, and bolted in. They will need adjusted later on once I get the body and engine in. Got the front adjusters in, bottom one is good, the top one I still have some metal work to do on. I ended up just using the beam I had built for the air. I was able to slip the top adjuster in and get the position where I wanted it, then I drilled a .75" hole from the back and welded it there. Next i welded both visable seams, and then im going to finish it up, by adding to filler pieces of pipe that I had previously cut out to fill the gaps and really strenthen it up. Both torsion packs are cut and in. Finally got the inner bearings from my late model spindles in and installed so its a roller!

Also got my shifter in and got the parts figured out that I need for that. ONe of the previous owners hacked a hole in the tunnel to get to the shift rod. I'm going to get that fixed up this weekend.

I have that 1x1 sitting on the front steering area to see where everything would fall, as I saw a thread on thesamba where jer-fab did a linkage connecting both wheels with one tube like shown, and then used the passgener side linkage from the steering arm to the passenger arm. I'm going to use the heim joints I bought for the rear spring plates on this now. I'm also going to run a steering stabalizer shock, which I dont normally do, but with the 17s I think I'm gonna need it. Anyone forsee any problems with this setup?

Jobe- I'm also contemplating the panhead shortening now. My wheels already come really close to the front corner of the pan, so I'm on the fence.

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:36 pm

Woody
yo mama

Postby Woody » Sun Feb 19, 2012 5:49 pm

I HATE red convertibles :^o
Cheese

Franz

Postby Franz » Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:19 pm

body on!?!

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Mon Feb 20, 2012 5:39 am

It's just temporary to check clearance on fenders, body, steering, etc. I'll be splitting it one more time, at which point the pan will be getting finalized(painted, brakes, cables) and put in a friends garage.

Next up is the body. I'm going to metal work all the fenders and then my cousin will be doing paint on those. Still haven't picked up my heAter channels yet, but should be this week sometime. 2 weeks of work travel comin up (toronto, Los Angeles, then Boston) so I'll be collecting more parts and doing some small stuff in that time.

alykat

steering

Postby alykat » Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:57 am

Steering geometry is not my strong suit, but in my mind it looks like a potential problem with bumpsteer . A single cross rod and basically independent action on both sides might cause some big problems. Ie. if the left wheel goes up much it will compound the steering arm distance moved on the right side. Again, I don't know much about this , but the single cross rod seems to be best only on a straight axle ?
911 operator: What is your emergency ? Me: Some asshole just pulled out in front of me & totaled my car! 911: Are you injured? Me: No. 911: Is the other driver injured ? Me: Not yet....but you should probably send an ambulance.

frvngn

Postby frvngn » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:01 am

There's some attitude right there........^ ^ ^ ^=D>
_FahRVergNüGeN___________________________
Ron

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:05 am

Good call. I've been thinking more about it over the weekend and decided since its only a 6" I should be good with flipped tie rods and also running a steering stabilizer.

I am going to put a steering limiter on this one, as the inside of the rim will rub the arm at a certain point. I plan to grind down the lower arm in that area a little bit to help, but ultimately I'll have to put in a stop so i dont chew the rims up.

Pigpen
What vasectomy?

Postby Pigpen » Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:39 am

Late model vert looks good!!!

soulsurfer26

Postby soulsurfer26 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:26 pm

BEANS wrote:Good call. I've been thinking more about it over the weekend and decided since its only a 6" I should be good with flipped tie rods and also running a steering stabilizer.

I am going to put a steering limiter on this one, as the inside of the rim will rub the arm at a certain point. I plan to grind down the lower arm in that area a little bit to help, but ultimately I'll have to put in a stop so i dont chew the rims up.

Project done... Time to roll it ;)

No really, looking good!!
'55 extremely early oval

'55 rusty oval ragtop

'61 ratlook or Madnessssss

Return to “2012 build-offs”