'69 Vert

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:11 pm

Finally got confirmation tracking numbers from CIP1. My stuff will be here on Tuesday. I'm done ordering through them. For the few bucks I saved for "christmas savings" it wasnt worth all of my time and hassle. I plan to stay local buying parts from now on if I can. Once that stuff arrives, I'm going to get the new ball joints installed, and assemble the front end. From there I'll be able to simulate being on the ground by putting some cinder blocks under each wheel, and start to get the airride stuff in order.

Also scored a set of clean OG heater channels from a 67 standard, off the same guy I got the fenders. I'll make a trip out to OH to pick them up in the next couple weeks. Plan is to bolt them to the pan, make my own reinforcement rails to keep the profile lower. I'm going to do the 1x1 reinforcement treatment on the body, cut the old ones off, and then place the body on the channels while bolted to the car to make sure everything lines up just right.

Have to get through the next couple weeks of work travel, then it looks like I'll be home for a nice stretch.

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:35 am

My progress from start to finish is getting the beam built, airbag parts designed and cut out, framehead trimmed, and a ton of parts located. I ran out of steam pretty quick as I was put on standby for my front suspension parts from a certain distributor. Not looking for any pitty with that, but I have a certain way I was going at this and those parts were a key ingredient. :-({|=

Anyway moving forward, I'll have my parts this week and plan to hit it hard again for February. This build-off has been good for me in terms of getting me motivated to try and get a little bit done everyday/few days even if thats parts hunting or getting them delivered. :-#

Start of month
End of month/same week

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:20 am

Today is my birthday \:D/

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon Jan 30, 2012 7:41 am

Just in time for the end of the build-off ](*,)

Kill it next month, eh?

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Mon Jan 30, 2012 10:39 am

Yeah, i'm gonna give it hell. I got my garage cleaned out yesterday. Parts just showed up and everything is correct. Planning a build day for this weekend once I get back from Ol canada.

Goals this month
-front end assembled with airride working
-rear end assembled with airride working
-maybe a test fit of body????

DaKine

Postby DaKine » Mon Jan 30, 2012 5:55 pm

I don't know shit about air ride suspensions and learning alot from your build. =D> I want to try it out in my next build. Are you going to have to cut sheetmetal to use the center mounted bag? I was watching this guy's build on samba...are you going to have to hack the spare tire area like this or is there an alternative besides staggering the bag? What's the advantage of a center mounted bag?

-Jon

Señor Ryan D wrote:I MAKE YOGART TO THIS!!!!

http://www.vimeo.com/16806035

slammed and shiny

Postby slammed and shiny » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:46 pm

idk shit either but to me that looks like it would lean like crazy in the turns.
Franz wrote:.that late model shit is for late models.
Broken glass and a broken jaw.
Lies are told in a southern drawl.
Poor-house poverty's your schtick.
The real thing would kill you quick.

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:12 am

I didnt even see that build thread. Do you have a link? That is basically the same thing I'm doing. Its very similar to the way guys bag type3s. I dont plan on cutting out as much sheetmetal as he removed in that pic above, but yes the spare tire well will be cut.

I've built a few passenger side mounted bag beams, and just never loved the setup. I know they work, but I'd feel alot better about having the bag center mounted, and the forces evenly distributed across the front end parts. I'm willing to sacrifice some sheetmetal for this, which wont work in most peoples cases. I'm starting out with a front apron/sparetire well that is pretty much rotted away. I wouldnt do this setup on a clean oval...

If I can push the bag out a little further, I'm going try and mount a shock between the bag and the beam. Having it attached to the lower bag bracket, and the moving brackets that attach through rod and bag. I have to make a trip over to my parents as I have a few shorty shocks I picked up at a swap meet. If not I may just spec it out and order one.

Edit: and not critiquing the pic above, but I can tell that the bag would bind up a good bit if he had it lifted up. Looks to me like it is on jackstand currently with the suspension dropped out, which is why the bag looks like it is almost in the "perfect" alignment. Where he has his connection point on the bag side should be more centered on the bag to minimize twisting when pressure is applied. I've done enough custom airride setups in the past 10 yrs to know what will work and what wont. I started out using parts from local airbrake supply companies and having my brackets punched out using AutoCAD files I did at home. That was before any of the big name players made nice bolt on kits for trucks and cars. We had to make everything, and make sure it worked. A ton of trial and error.

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:21 pm

My last contribution for the month. Wife got out of class early so I was able to swing a couple hrs in the garage. Its 60 degrees here in Pittsburgh. I was working tonight in flip flops with the garage door open.... Crazy. Anyway I got the spindles mocked up, and everything to where it should sit when aired out. I'll gain a little bit more once I put the lowered ball joints on. Now I can take some measurements and get all the designs finalized when I'm sitting in my hotel room tomorrow and Thursday. Cheers

C.Hamburg
purple drank

Postby C.Hamburg » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:25 pm

Sweet chassis building table. Smile
-Corey

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:28 pm

Hell yeah, anything to save my back. I had the table built to get the pan up off the ground back in December. 2 weeks ago, my neighbor said he was throwing out some cabinets, so I said I'd take em. Found out tonight, they were damn near same height as the table. Good enough to simulate the ground :-$

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:12 am

Part numbers for shortest shocks? Pete & Jakes? I cant seem to find anything through search engine...

Making a run to the steel yard beginning of the week to pick up the rear suspension metal, and also a ton of box tubing to reinforce body for heater channel replacement.

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:10 pm

Made some progress today. Mainly small stuff.

Got the torsion pack for bottom tube out of old beam, cut, and ready to go in new beam. Pulled the inner bearings for the drum off a spare late model (4 lug) beam I have here at house (need those for the drop spindles to wide 5). Put the pan back down on the ground, so I can pull the rear drums off to swap rear to wide 5. Cleaned garage.. I don't have a socket for doing the rear axle nuts, so I'm going to go pick one up tomorrow morning.

Jobe
what flip?

Postby Jobe » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:24 pm

BEANS wrote:Image

Holy Camber! you need to do a trans raise!
Big belly Hoes

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:48 pm

Nahhh. The airride will fix that 8-[

Return to “2012 build-offs”