'69 Vert

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:20 pm

Not too much progress in the past few days. You never know what little things life is gonna throw your way. Both kids have been sick, so its worked its way around the house at this point. 3-4hr nights of sleep have gotten the best of the wife and I. Luckily everyone is almost back to normal.

I probably won't get my parts from CIP1 for another 2-3 weeks...... Not going to get here any quicker for me being pissed about it. Just glad they are handling it.

Scored some clean complete 1963 front fenders for the car. Been getting parts off of thebugsmy59 on thesamba. He always has the cleanest well priced parts around. Picking them up this weekend. Also got 2 rear fenders off of a 66 that are in nice shape. Now I need to find some bumpers

Gonna try and get some welding time in tomorrow sometime.

Last edited by BEANS on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

C.Hamburg
purple drank

Postby C.Hamburg » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:35 pm

BEANS wrote:
I probably won't get my parts from CIP1 for another 2-3 weeks......

I hate CIP1. They have the slowest/expensive shipping. I had to order a few things from them as well. I hated to do it, no real other choice around here. The parts places around here love to bend you over too.
-Corey

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:30 pm

I've had pretty good luck with them up until this point, but this was a pretty bad experience. Its going to be almost 8 weeks from the time I originally placed the order. BS

DaKine

Postby DaKine » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:59 pm

^ I always found their delivery times slow. ](*,) They use to have free shipping over $50...don't know if they still do that. I ordered brakes for the '58 from vee dub parts unlimited on Saturday, they shipped today.
-Jon

Señor Ryan D wrote:I MAKE YOGART TO THIS!!!!

http://www.vimeo.com/16806035

C.Hamburg
purple drank

Postby C.Hamburg » Mon Jan 09, 2012 4:05 pm

Yeah they have free delivery if you wanna wait two or more weeks to get your stuff.
-Corey

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Tue Jan 10, 2012 8:54 am

This is my game plan for the rear spring plate replacement setup. I might switch to a rod style with plate area. Not sure yet. I've made a few similar setups before, and think this one will yield the best result. I stepped in the mounting point of the heim joint by .25" so its centered in the original mount area. As far as the model goes, everything has clearance at this position..

john jones

Postby john jones » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:05 am

You roll like Kevin and Franz.. Wheels and tires are the first thing!!!

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Wed Jan 11, 2012 7:26 am

LOL. That is true. I always do my builds that way since they are all usually going to the ground. Figure out what you want to "tuck". Order them, and when they come in figure out how to get them on there and actually work.

Picked up a 2002 VW Jetta Wagon yesterday. Parts hauler status. Now I can go pick up my engine on the other side of the city.

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Sat Jan 14, 2012 8:48 am

So, I haven't gotten much done on the car in terms of actual hands on. One main reason is the delay of parts. I don't want to move forward with anymore suspension work until i get the front assembled and on the ground. Its been busy here, with my wife starting back to school 2 nights a week and everything else with life.

On a positive note, I'm going to pick up my fenders, pedal assembly, and shifter this evening. Also picking up my engine on Monday.

Ordered my rear suspension parts from QA1 so that should be arriving beginning of the week, and I'll start fabbing up my spring plates.

Got up early this morning, and have been itching to see how my sheetmetal chair project was going to go together. Turned out great!! My main area of concern was the 2 rear "sweeping curved" pieces, but they fit up everywhere side to side with less than a 1/16" of gap. So I'm going to work on that some today, and tomorrow while I await parts for the beetle. I'll try and get some better pics later

DaKine

Postby DaKine » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:17 pm

anything new? parts show up yet?? :-k
-Jon

Señor Ryan D wrote:I MAKE YOGART TO THIS!!!!

http://www.vimeo.com/16806035

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Sat Jan 21, 2012 2:50 pm

I just sold my 95 Passat so that frees up some funds and time... My heim joints and inserts showed up for the rear suspension. Still no word or parts from CIP1 ](*,) Its putting major damper on getting the suspension done.

I also have to travel for work the next 2 weeks (LA this week Wally Parks NHRA Mueseum for an open house then a few other places in Anaheim, then the following week up to Canada Toronto/Ontario and possibly Boston), so progress is probably at a halt until February.... Sucks, but all I can do is keep pushing forward when I get a chance.

Your build is coming along quite nicely. I love the look with the whitewalls :thumbsup:

Jobe
what flip?

Postby Jobe » Sat Jan 21, 2012 5:33 pm

[quote="BEANS"]Image
quote]

what size did you go with? 5/8"?
Big belly Hoes

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:54 am

Thread size is .75". Bolt size is .5" I wanted it to be beefy

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:50 pm

CIP1 says my order will be at the house this Tuesday so that will make a nice start for February I guess....

Its 82 and sunny here in LA, flying back to PIT tonight.. Probably be 15 and snowy when I get back. Ugh.

My goal for the weekend is to get the garage cleaned back up, and get ready for more work on the pan. Seeing all these other builds going on is making me wish I were home wrenching.

Jobe
what flip?

Postby Jobe » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:25 am

I got my cip1 order today. one week with the free shipping. thats gotta be a record or something
Big belly Hoes

Return to “2012 build-offs”