'69 Vert

AlanWrench

Postby AlanWrench » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:10 am

Leave the rails...

Drop the bags and do a burnout sitting still.

We requires video of this....

-Alan

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:02 pm

I'm not partying it up tonight, plan on a trip to my best man's machine shop to get all the front suspension metal prepped in the morning. Starting the build-off nice and early

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:31 pm

Good bit of progress today. Crossed the river to my long time friend's shop. Had access to lathe, shear, belt sanders, and numerous other tools. Made quick work of all the front suspension metal. Came home and just got everything wire wheel'd and cleaned up.

Started mocking up the top tube support piece that I plan to run. I'll need to clearance the pan head for it to fit, but want to make sure that its strong enough.... Gonna take a break and go up to hang with the kids. Might get back on it later this evening.

Kennedy running the shear
Turning the insides of the outer tube parts for a "snug" fit
Back home and cleaned up

Jobe
what flip?

Postby Jobe » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:55 pm

Impressive work with the 3D cad stuff.

Since This project is going to be Air ride You should take a extra hour and shorten up that panhead a bit?

Its a easy job to get all the caster you want, center the wheels in the wheel well, and eliminate headlight bucket rubbing.
Big belly Hoes

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:10 pm

Thanks for the compliments on the modeling. I've been doing 3D CAD work for the better part of 15 yrs so it comes pretty easily to me at this point. Saves a good bit of time by proving out my concepts in the software. After that I just make the templates and cut it out however possible. If i had money or access to it, I could easily create some 2D dxf files to have all of this stuff laser/plasma cut, but for one time builds it easy enough to print it out on cardboard then transfer to the metal.

I was thinking about doing the panhead, but I'm not quite sure on where my ride height is going to be and with a shortened pan head and lifting it up, it might end up sitting toward the back of the wheel well instead of in the center of the wheelwell opening at ride height. Its still not completely off the table though.

I'm still waiting for CIP1 to straighten out my order. I'm missing the spindles, ball joints, and lugs. So until I get that stuff I cant really mock anything more up in the front. I plan on getting the beam welded up with the lower air bracket in, and the top center support welded and trimmed up next.

After that I'm going to concentrate on the rear air, and hope that my other parts come in. I'll scan the back suspension in its "slammed" position and model everything around that. I'm trying to come up with a 3-link system that the bag will sit on. I've built 2 link suspensions before for beetles, and I'm never happy with how the bag will twist and not be in the ideal position through the whole lift. I think by adding in a 3rd connection point I can eliminate the twisting effect. I guess we'll see..

Matt Faulkner

Postby Matt Faulkner » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:42 pm

Your tattoo looks sweet man! Your beam is gonna be killer too...I can't wait to see it working!
KCW Internship Graduate #1

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:23 pm

Watched Steelers game, ate some lobster tails, crab legs, and scanned/started modeling the passenger rear suspension...

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:43 pm

My progress for today... Everything is tacked currently, until I get the spindles and finalize all the positions of the tubes.

Also a side project I've been working on showed up today. I design furniture in my spare time (this is a prototype I just finished up for a lounge), and finally got this one laser cut and delivered to the house. Most of my pieces have a MCM feel to them. Now I just need to find some time to assemble it.(no hurry)

alykat

metal ?

Postby alykat » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:39 pm

Interesting styling. I always thought of Mid Century Modern as exercises in wood and vinyl. I'll be looking forward to seeing yours finished.
911 operator: What is your emergency ? Me: Some asshole just pulled out in front of me & totaled my car! 911: Are you injured? Me: No. 911: Is the other driver injured ? Me: Not yet....but you should probably send an ambulance.

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:51 pm

Definitely MCM with the wood and vinyl, thats why i wanted to change it up with the straight metal for an industrial look, but with MCM lines/styling. Should be pretty cool. I'm gonna run a set of them out on my patio next summer. I also designed it so that you can flip flop the design, and actually create a "mirror" of the chair using the same parts.

jah_BUS

Postby jah_BUS » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:11 pm

I like the MCM stuff, I am currentley remodeling my MCM house, should have entered that in the build off!

I am about to tackle the bathroom and i am gonna try and make it a quick turn arround.

Love the scanner and 3d design you are doing.
keep it up!
"Do you really drive that car?"

alykat

Postby alykat » Tue Jan 03, 2012 3:32 pm

BEANS wrote:Definitely MCM with the wood and vinyl, thats why i wanted to change it up with the straight metal for an industrial look, but with MCM lines/styling. Should be pretty cool. I'm gonna run a set of them out on my patio next summer. I also designed it so that you can flip flop the design, and actually create a "mirror" of the chair using the same parts.
Yeah, I actually thought about the mirror image possibility when I looked at the stacked pieces. Cool look.
911 operator: What is your emergency ? Me: Some asshole just pulled out in front of me & totaled my car! 911: Are you injured? Me: No. 911: Is the other driver injured ? Me: Not yet....but you should probably send an ambulance.

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:46 am

CIP1 finally got my order figured out, so my front suspension parts will be en route soon enough.

Going to get some more welding time on the beam today, and try to get everything buttoned up to the point that I'm waiting on the spindles.

I also got my rear air setup figured out, just need to place and order at summit/jegs today.

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:03 pm

DaKine

Postby DaKine » Fri Jan 06, 2012 7:34 pm

Looking good bro! =D>
-Jon

Señor Ryan D wrote:I MAKE YOGART TO THIS!!!!

http://www.vimeo.com/16806035

Return to “2012 build-offs”