'69 Vert

BEANS

'69 Vert

Postby BEANS » Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:36 pm

Here's my entry. Progress up until this point has bascially been to disassemble the rusty/unusable portions, and I currently have the body sitting on a clean '66 pan with '68 tranny.

Plans for January
-Scratch built 6" airbeam
-2" Tranny raise <----- pending
-airride out back
-get tires mounted on wheels

For prep work up until January, I'm getting a good friends Lincoln 220 TIG wired up in the garage. Also getting the body back off the pan, and pan up on bench I built for this....

Wheels, tires, front suspension compenents, brake stuff, and a few other odds and ends will be arriving at my house in the next 2 weeks. CIP1/UPS lost my suspension stuff in the mail, so I'm waiting for that to get resolved. I'll still be able to get a good bit done without the spindles and ball joints
Last edited by BEANS on Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jobe
what flip?

Postby Jobe » Mon Dec 12, 2011 9:46 pm

Do you need a set of fenders? I have all four 68-73 reproductions sitting in my shed. I dont have anything post 67' so i have no use for them.

they are over $100 each from cip1

Hows $130+ shipping for all 4 sound, if you happen to need them?
Big belly Hoes

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Postby rustabus » Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:45 am

That project looks a ton better without those old fenders on it Smile Smile I would swoop up those replacements from Jobe!!! What are the plans for this rig in Janurary???

Tuned Perfection

Postby Tuned Perfection » Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:21 am

rustabus wrote: What are the plans for this rig in Janurary???

BEANS wrote:Plans for January
-Scratch built 6" beam
-shortened panhead
-2" Tranny raise
-get tires mounted on wheels
Greg

If you can't run with the big dogs....

Stay on the porch.

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:45 pm

Since this car is somewhat of a "basket (east coast) case" to begin with, I'm building it to my liking. That will include early fenders front and back, and EURO front/rear bumpers or at least US with the guards removed.

I got this car from my neighbors grandmother. When I moved back to the US about 3 yrs ago (from Holland), my wife and I bought this house and naturally I had some old rusty VW's in the driveway. My neighbor took notice fairly quick and stated that her grandma had some old aircooled in her garage that they were trying to move. This was the "gem" that I brought home. Had been sitting for the better part of 30 yrs. Sitting in a north east garage, is completely different than anywhere else, but still salvageable. For me to give this thing a second life in any way, shape, or form is a move in the right direction than the scrap heep. So yes I'm building it to what I want, even if it isnt period correct.

I'd also like to do a set of Albert Swan mirrors, just cause, but that will come in future months.

The wheels will be 5x205 17x7. I'll share once I get back home this weekend. Some of the part's eta is this friday, so I'll share some more pics then.

Traveling for work is part of my deal, as i've noticed are a few others on here. I'm in NJ this week (sun-fri) :-({|=

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Fri Dec 16, 2011 5:22 am

5 boxes came yesterday, and I'm expecting the front tires to arrive Mon-Tues...... Also ordered bags last night :-#

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:11 am

My drop spindles, one adjuster (doesnt matter now that I'm running air), and 4 lug nuts got lost in the mail so now I have to deal with that.

DaKine

Postby DaKine » Sat Dec 17, 2011 6:37 pm

bagged 'vert...i'll be watching =P~
-Jon

Señor Ryan D wrote:I MAKE YOGART TO THIS!!!!

http://www.vimeo.com/16806035

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:01 am

Front tires should be here today (came direct from Germany)

Also ordered chromoly stock for front beam, and going to pick up my 2" ID pipe for the lower/outer beam area.

Got body back off, and the pan up on work bench/table over the weekend. Cleaned the garage up and just waiting on garbage day to get rid of all the boxes and crap that have accumulated. Problems one must deal with working in such a small area.

May have an engine lined up as well \:D/ Barter deal for some welding

66VOLKY

Postby 66VOLKY » Tue Dec 20, 2011 9:05 am

This looks like an exciting build.....

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Tue Dec 20, 2011 2:10 pm

Its like christmas here everyday. Getting things inline

DaKine

Postby DaKine » Tue Dec 20, 2011 4:19 pm

Look at those headlight buckets!!
-Jon

Señor Ryan D wrote:I MAKE YOGART TO THIS!!!!

http://www.vimeo.com/16806035

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:23 am

DaKine- That video in your sig is awesome!

Yeah, someone was trying to get creative with their metal working skills and pop-riveted some tin around what remained of each bucket. They both fell out by the time we got it home.

LooseNuts

Postby LooseNuts » Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:42 am

DaKine wrote:Image

Look at those headlight buckets!!

what buckets. hahaha

looks like a cool project.
IG - @vwloosenuts
www.vwloosenuts.com

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Thu Dec 22, 2011 5:56 am

Got the tires mounted up last night. Front tires went on suprisingly easy. Also, got my 4140 for the front end and also picked up the rest of the beam metal in the morning.

Now waiting on the bags, and for CIP1 to straighten out my order. Not having spindles is definitely a hinder at this point.....

I'm also working on a design for a center mount front bag. I knows it been done before, mainly on Type 3s. Probably going to pull out the 3D scanner and digitize some areas of the chassis so I can model up some ideas.

Return to “2012 build-offs”