Manx quickie

VWsArent4Hippies

Postby VWsArent4Hippies » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:29 pm

jb wrote:first crimp, strip insulation without slicing a finger off, then solder, then heat shrink... bit of a process but will last forever

Damn dude, they make non insulated ends Smile

Looks awesome!

jb

Postby jb » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:45 pm

Oh trust me, I know #-o this whole build is about using the odds and ends I have on hand..... Super b u d g e t style \:D/

russ scott

Postby russ scott » Fri Apr 27, 2012 3:58 pm

i just found this build
Jesus Josh is there anything that you don't go balls out on?
looks killer man

jb

Postby jb » Fri Apr 27, 2012 4:59 pm

russ scott wrote:i just found this build
looks killer man

Where ya been buddy? Thanks Smile I have a real hard time doing anything half ass 8-[

Old Speed

Postby Old Speed » Fri Apr 27, 2012 10:49 pm

Looks great!
I've been absent from the website for quite a while.
And all I see is progress!

russ scott

Postby russ scott » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:38 am

jb wrote:
russ scott wrote:i just found this build
looks killer man

Where ya been buddy? Thanks Smile I have a real hard time doing anything half ass 8-[

i have been around but never really check these builds to much
my 65 is still in a million pieces although stefan now has it and will start the metal work soon

i am just slowly working on the pan the trans just went to rancho
it's gonna be a budget build for sure

i still can't believe how good the manx looks,
russ

Whistlebritches

Postby Whistlebritches » Sat Apr 28, 2012 9:44 pm

=D>

jb

Postby jb » Tue May 01, 2012 11:12 pm

custom wiring like this is very time consuming ](*,) still picking away...

fuse box turned out pretty sweet I think.....have 2 spare for future use and all the signal wires and low beams fit on the treminal strip \:D/

also been working on how to mount speedo.....stock tabs didnt work with the aluminum face plate so I came up with this

since screwing anything into the flimsy glass dash would hold for maybe a week had to get some backing going on..

love this tool!!!! =D>

so basically these pcs. ^^^ get glued to the inside of dash and speedo will go in first with countersunk screws attaching to plate. then pretty outside switch panels sandwich it all together :-k

john jones

Postby john jones » Wed May 02, 2012 4:43 am

Nice... =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

jb

Postby jb » Mon May 14, 2012 11:39 pm

lots of litle shit done lately....nice weather is finally here and I want to drive this rig \:D/

gotta love having to run extra wire for everything that normaly gets grounded through a stel body ](*,) made a terminal block from a scrap of brass drilled and tapped and installed.....

the loot from march buildoff arrived, thanks again for the parts John!!!!!

seal I am using for the windshield frame to hood is a convert front bow seal sliced 2 of the 4 lips off verrrry carefully with a razor then blended with a fine grit rolock disk (should have got a before pic but didn't)

punched holes

and a test fit.....worked out tits!!!

dash backing plates in

hiding external voltage reg above trans using fuel tank mounting brackets

waiting till body meets pan to make sure I have enough clearance to clutch cable before terminating wires

quick glance noticed case sealing surface on bottom of barels was wider than machined area from spot facing deck.....either have to grind down the cast flash there its proud or turn the barrels a bit narrower on bottom fin

Image :-k

oh and rebuilt carb and got this super turbo race filter for the monster one barrel :^o

jb

Postby jb » Mon May 21, 2012 11:09 pm

gonna have to re-name this one manx not as quickie as one had hoped #-o

updates are longer in between but still getting shit done.....pics from last couple weeks.......

wetsanded the centerline copies after knocking out all the fake rivets. shit was pretty oxidized but they came up real nice after some mothers on the ol chip foose bowerball 8-[

this is after polishing all rivets by hand on buffer wheel....

brakes up front just needed a quick clean up and cyls changed

check out the old flex hoses.....fuck all pass through those [-X dug out a set of SS ones off my old oval

ordered new front cyls and the tabs that push shoes out have much wider slots than originals.....will this be ok sloppy like this or should I get some more?

also been thinking about brake bias on this light ass little thing and doing some reading seems lots of buggy owners up the capacity it the rear installing bigger bore wheel cyls in the back instead of the traditional front.... see how it works out

re using all the bent up hard lines cause im being a tight ass....

brings us to this weekends task at hand......narrowing stock beam 3" to tuck fronts a bit

band saw made for real nice straight cuts after taking time to scribe it all out square

just gotta get some flat bar to cap old shock towers.

when I was narrowing the torsion leaves one of the skinny ones fell apart in my hands......I was contemplating running with a leaf removed out of the stack due to the glass buggy being so light up front and the broken one sealed the deal :-k used the little chunks cut from ends to take up the slack where they pass through the square block on adjusters and arms tack welded them on .....see how it rides I guess

ended with narrowing the tie rods but you are gonna have to use your imagination cause the camera battery died Smile

Franz

Postby Franz » Tue May 22, 2012 7:21 am

Those wheel cylinders should be fine...I've noticed that before too. I think that you could probably do without the small torsions like you are thinking too. The front suspension of that buggy is going to be significantly lighter that it would be in a beetle...Just make sure that you cut little chunks of the spring to go in the center blocks and torsion arms to keep the spring pack tight.

VWsArent4Hippies

Postby VWsArent4Hippies » Tue May 22, 2012 7:42 am

Yea, I do not like those Chinese wheel cylinders

jeremy

Postby jeremy » Tue May 22, 2012 12:42 pm

[quote="jb"]Image

Looks like this quicky is requiring a few beers as well.

jb

Postby jb » Tue May 22, 2012 6:43 pm

Franz wrote:Those wheel cylinders should be fine...I've noticed that before too. I think that you could probably do without the small torsions like you are thinking too. The front suspension of that buggy is going to be significantly lighter that it would be in a beetle...Just make sure that you cut little chunks of the spring to go in the center blocks and torsion arms to keep the spring pack tight.

Yup did use the cut offs to take up the slop. I only removed the narrow Torsions on the one side of the pack in both tubes, see how it is I guess.

Return to “2012 build-offs”