Manx quickie

jb

Manx quickie

Postby jb » Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:52 pm

OK heres what I have to offer

picked it up on an impulse buy couple weeks ago, been itching to drive something fun for a while now and know the oval is a ways away yet. this should be fun for my daughter and I to buzz around in this summer \:D/ \:D/

Came as a pile of parts but most is there, needing some bits and pcs.

the good:

rolling shortened pan done rather well, reinforced quite a bit.
nice case with fresh machine work done (cut for 90.5s)
all stock internals in good shape
new header/muffler
new berg shifter
new poly lowbacks

the not so good:

PO had the body soda blasted and just painted it brown with a roller ](*,)
lots of holes and gouges in fiberglass to fix........fun!
dash is swiss cheese

So far i've messed around with it a bit....... chopped windshield frame down 4" or so, figured out a simple roll bar out of some pvc I had lying around to get the shape I and angles I wanted. will be getting it bent out of 1 5/8" dom soon.
Got the seats as low and as far back as I could and bolted them in.
Got some templates make out of card board for some aluminum panels to cover up the behind seat area.
Removed stock heater outlets from shroud and blended in some patches

For some reason my photo bucket account is screwed right now and won't give me the links.......will update later

Anyway the plan is to be a bit of a cheap ass and do this quick and dirty, old school style (bias by fatties and all) goal is have on the road by april.....we'll see!

Janurary's contest goal is to have :

rollbar done
body off, sanded, glass repairs done, bodyworked and painted (bit optimistical)
motor built

We'll see how much I get done working 40 hr weeks at my dayjob, 20 wk on side bizz, and a young fam...... :-s

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:30 am

Thats going to be badass! Nasty flake paint job? ...I gotta say that I'm digging the vintage 70's stuff...The new Hot VWs was good too.

jb

Postby jb » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:11 pm

collecting parts for this tub, got new set of 90.5 slugs and jugs, all the bearings, pushrod tubes etc. Now that Xmas rush is over I can escape to the man cave.....couple pics

chopped windshield

mounted tail lights

Dash panel will be my first glass repair attempt (just a few extra holes!!!)

shaved heater outlets

figured out the roll bar angles with PVC I had laying around after doing the in ground sprinklers

bought 20' of 1 5/8" DOM NHRA legal tubing for it and wholly shit!!! I can see why guys pay the bux for chromoly!!! shit is heavy duty

Not sure if I can pull off using these disco boots......with the long axles, adapters and gasser backspacing the offset is rediculous #-o

may have to mock up my ercos just to see \:D/

jb

Postby jb » Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:15 pm

Oh ya, bought some simpson 5 pt camlock belts for it and had all the tin cleaned and powder coated satin black with manifolds, backing plate gen stand, pulleys and valve covers silver

jb

Postby jb » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:13 am

well here the fuck we go \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ January 1st 2012 what a sweet ass way to start a new year......wrenching on a VW (wife let me get in a solid 12 hours....thx babe) =D>

todays log included mic'ing out all the internals after a thurough solvent scrub. Everything checked out perfect first go around!!!
assembled the crank and rods......

New Mahle piston/cyl kit was bang on the money too!!! I don't know if anybody in here has had the pleasure of using a "dial bore gauge" before but it is THE only way to check the ID of a cylinder fast and accurately
(picked this up very lightly used off the calook a couple yrs back)

First find a rod and shim combo that fits the bore and zero the dial indicator to the size you want to see (in this case it was 90.5mm)

then run it up and down 360 around the bore to check for any taper or out of round

the head self centers itself on the horizontal plane with the little rollers on either side of the pin and all you have to do is keep it 90 degrees........very fast,accurate and repeatable... beats the shit out of the old telescoping T gauge meathod that if you are sloppy or miss one little spot can really bite you in the ass!! (pic for reference)

Case i am building this 1776 off of is a nice dual relief with 10 mm head studs got it with the buggy already machined for the 90.5 jugs and fresh 1st cut line bore.
Tapped the main for full flow even though I probably won't put an ext filter on it but will be good to go in future. I like putting the fitting here instead of the one above....if you look at the path of flow you will see why!!

Realized I couldn't find my case splitting tool....probably lent it out and never came home ](*,) cheap little pc. of shit was crap anyway so I made this fucker up last week and got to try it out

Machined it to the perfect size out of some sched 40 black iron, worked great with a 19mm box end wratchet wrench!!

Test fit some fresh german tin.....

also dialed in the doghouse cooler after a good clean and pressure test. fresh foam tape and the "elusive hoover bit" installed that shit is ready.
oh yeah and got the crusty heads dissasembled and discover I need to do at least 3 exhaust guides ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Last but least not VW related but makes working in the shop much more comfortable...... after 2 years of living in the house finally got the ductless split heatpump up and running. turned out to be a stupid wiring issue that was low on the priority list.....Should have been up way higher on that list cause it's dipping into freezing temps at night, now im working in a tee shirt at 68 sure is PIMP!!

Ordered a bunch of shit yesterday to get in on the last day of the 20% off CIP sale, in there will be lifters and the short block can go together this week \:D/ \:D/

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:31 am

Badass!

Whistlebritches

Postby Whistlebritches » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:56 am

Something tells me this Manx is gonna be off the hook.. Mr detail is on it Smile

jb

Postby jb » Mon Jan 02, 2012 1:41 pm

Whistlebritches wrote:Something tells me this Manx is gonna be off the hook.. Mr detail is on it Smile

Trying not to get too carried away on this...... It's hard =D>
Caught myself measuring for a full cage and had to slap my hand....goal for this will be quick and simple but clean

tlambert

Postby tlambert » Mon Jan 02, 2012 3:34 pm

jb wrote:
Whistlebritches wrote:Something tells me this Manx is gonna be off the hook.. Mr detail is on it Smile

Trying not to get too carried away on this...... It's hard =D>
Caught myself measuring for a full cage and had to slap my hand....goal for this will be quick and simple but clean

Yeah after seeing the detail in the Oval I don't see you leaving this simple for very long!
Tim

john jones wrote:Sanding sucks balls, My balls have been about sucked off..:-#

S-10 BB Swap
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f10/1st-gen-bigblock-installation-223375/

Pigpen
What vasectomy?

Postby Pigpen » Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:11 pm

Lets see you get crazy on this pig!!!

jb

Postby jb » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:46 pm

Still waiting on CIP order for lifters so had this brilliant idea to start fiberglass repairs ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) think im high right now 8-[

Attacked body with a 40 grit on the DA to remove some of the beautiful brown tremclad......... there has to be 40-50 1/4" holes wraping the shell. looks as though there was at some point a soft top snapped to it along with antennas and whips. Took a countersink bit and beveled all the holes from both sides then losely taped the bakside, mixed up some crazy "structural putty" meant for these kinda repairs and filled em all. I was warned this shit is a whore to sand so was very careful to feather it out nice.

Next up will be mixing up some resin and fixing the headlight pod mounts that are all busted up.....got them prepped and taped up the backs ready for a 1/2" SS fender washer to be glassed in for reinforcement.

Also prepped rear where there was a tear, and chunk missing.....

Just for fun threaded the camlocks though seats.....

jb

Postby jb » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:48 pm

I need some paint ideas.......lets hear em :-k how hard is the massive flake to shoot?

IfItAintSplitItAintShit

Postby IfItAintSplitItAintShit » Wed Jan 04, 2012 4:38 am

I LOVE IT ! .... I LOVE IT ! .... I LOVE IT ! .... =D> =D> =D> =D>

CAN'T WAIT ! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ to see this thing completed... When I was a kid in what we call "Primary School" (5 years - 12 years of age) I had a lil' "Matchbox" Purple Flake Beach Buggy car, played with it CONSTANTLY ! =D>

http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch ... .5.2.1l8l0

Heres some paint ideas from "Your Friend - Google Images" for starters...

Bring It On Brutha ! Get That Shit Done ..
If It Ain't Split ... It Ain't Shit ...

Life's Too Short ... Without VW's ...

Wee Andy In "Bonnie Scotland"

Woody
yo mama

Postby Woody » Wed Jan 04, 2012 6:00 am

I just LOVE doing fiberglass work :^o As far as paint, I only shot big flakes once, on the UGLIEST bike you ever saw, it was a pain for me, others may say different, I kept seeing tiger stripes in my dreams for weeks after that fiasco. How about a really heavy flake green or blue, or even really wanna go old school GOLD !
Cheese

alykat

flake

Postby alykat » Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:22 am

You will need the appropriate size nozzle for your gun. About the size of a fire hose. As above, tiger stipes are a problem as well as getting the flakes to lay down. I found it best to take plenty of time working on some practice panels to get the air pressure and air/paint mix just right. It has been many years, but I recall needing several clear coats and working them down to get a nice smooth finish. We only did a few with the super big flakes 'cause it was such a pain in the ass, but damn they looked good !
911 operator: What is your emergency ? Me: Some asshole just pulled out in front of me & totaled my car! 911: Are you injured? Me: No. 911: Is the other driver injured ? Me: Not yet....but you should probably send an ambulance.

Return to “2012 build-offs”