50 chevy truck build

blitzd

Postby blitzd » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:14 pm

Been busy on this, slacking on updates. Front clip is painted and installed, hood took 3 rounds of paint to get right. The clear kept showing stripes, once I grabbed the wrong reducer and wrinkled it all to hell. Repainted the cab also, went with more gloss than before. I like this round of paint better, I call it low gloss. Its glossy but no reflective qualities.

Lots of custom work on the bed, here is one of them.

Lots of parts rolling in

Engine getting buttoned up. Waiting on a few more parts before its a runner. Brakes are done, new lines, booster, master, pads, rotors, etc.

blitzd

Postby blitzd » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:15 pm

Final paint on hood, still not perfect but im over it.

Sweet good fortune!

One of the more fun parts, finding a rad hose to fit this nice angle. Ended up with a cool flex metal hose knock off.

Finished off the frame in the rear. Old picture but the ends of that rear tube got boxed and everything finish welded. Still need to mount my air tank, battery and compressor in this area. USPS lost my new battery cable this week. :rolleyes:

blitzd

Postby blitzd » Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:19 pm

Started working on my single cab again this week too, nothing picture worthy. Its been sitting out side for a while so I buffed the nose again, the roof never got touched to it got the old CLR and buff treatment too. Cant wait to start working on it again. Need to go ahead and drop a few grand on some funky green goodness. You can see the WW front floor hanging (rusting) on the wall in the background of the above pictures.

tlambert

Postby tlambert » Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:23 am

Truck is looking killer.

I know you said it was on an S-10 frame. But from what? Pick up, short or long bed, or blazer?

Was the wheelbase correct to line up in the center of the wheel openings of the truck or did you move the rear end?

This is a cool swap, I know Yaril was doing something like this too.
Tim

john jones wrote:Sanding sucks balls, My balls have been about sucked off..:-#

S-10 BB Swap
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f10/1st-gen-bigblock-installation-223375/

blitzd

Postby blitzd » Sun Feb 12, 2012 2:35 pm

Thanks, the frame for this one is a regular cab short bed. I pushed the axle back a few inches and slid the bed forward around 3 inches. Most guys run a long bed frame, they are almost the perfect wheelbase.

It has been more work than I thought to get everything just right but it was a lot cheaper than trying to find a stock frame then doing an MII, then it would have taken a ton of boxing to make it as strong as this frame. Fab work has become my favorite part of the build now. Its something I never really got to play with building VWs.

john jones

Postby john jones » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:44 pm

this thing is sick!

john jones

Postby john jones » Sun Feb 12, 2012 5:46 pm

you gotta move this to feb build off and get it done.. I love it.. always wanted one of these trucks.. maybe soon! [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

tlambert

Postby tlambert » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:31 pm

Yeah I'm liking this for sure.
Tim

john jones wrote:Sanding sucks balls, My balls have been about sucked off..:-#

S-10 BB Swap
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f10/1st-gen-bigblock-installation-223375/

blitzd

Postby blitzd » Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:01 pm

Thanks fellas. I was hoping this one would be finished so I could work on my single cab for the build off but its been slow going.

tylorDURBEN

Postby tylorDURBEN » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:20 am

looking great! any more pics of the cab mounts you made?

blitzd

Postby blitzd » Wed Feb 15, 2012 9:56 pm

No, but I can take a few of them mounted. I used those big heavy things for the front and stock shackles for the rear. I wish I had came up with a better looking front mount, those are pretty ugly I think.

I came up with a good cheap alternative to body mounts. Wish I had used these instead of the more expensive body mounts I bought for the cab. These are for V8 belaire engine mounts part number 602-1044. 1045 is the same but a little larger. Best part is these are under $3 each. I used them for my rad support. (damn my welds look ugly in these pictures)

Finished up the frame section today, decided to punch some "speed holes" for some visual appeal and to help route wiring and air line. Mounted up the air tank also.

Made some mounts and hung the front bumper finally. Still need to adjust it.

Speed holes and frame graft. Wish I had thought this through a little more I could have made it look a little more seamless from the top if I had done it differently. Was more focused on strength even though this doesn't support anything really. Doubt I will be hauling anything in the bed of this one! Wait till you see the wood floor I built! :)

blitzd

Postby blitzd » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:00 am

Lots of little things getting done this week. Started wiring everything up, still waiting on a new battery cable that got lost by USPS (total pain to deal with, they wasted a lot of my time this week).

Fuel line is ran and gas tank installed, engine and front clip wired up. Air tank and compressor mounted. Re-engineered my brake pedal to work with the column moved over. The old column came out right into the header so It got moved about 2 inches to the left. Also had to make a new bracket for the stop lamp switch. I wont bore you with those pictures.

Got a chrome column in trade for helping a buddy paint his truck, not my style so it getting painted vintage white like the dash. Waiting on a column drop and a u joint to connect it.

Broke out the good camera for some pictures.
Last edited by blitzd on Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

john jones

Postby john jones » Sat Feb 18, 2012 11:03 am

Your truck is super badd asss.... Congrats man!

Brotherbob

Postby Brotherbob » Sat Feb 18, 2012 1:35 pm

Home slice that lil' truck project is coming out perfect ! You really stepped up your game on this truck . Its Fk-ing bad ass .

Can wait to see it around.

Props , nice work.
BB
I'm pretty much an idiot that has a VW addiction.........Oh well!

blitzd

Postby blitzd » Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:55 pm

Thanks John and Bob. I love this truck but I cant help but think about my single cab constantly! I asked Franz to throw this in the build off, lets see if I cant get this finished this month! Single cab next month?

Return to “2012 build-offs”