'66 Japanese RHD

davebuckholts

'66 Japanese RHD

Postby davebuckholts » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:37 am

So I got this for Father's Day. My wife is awesome.

Got the pans out and going to take the body off the pan hopefully this weekend, maybe next weekend. Have a set of door braces coming next week, then I'll start on the heater channels. Have a rag clip to install too. The rag clip install video was VERY helpful. I'm going to tackle that myself too.

Ugliness...
Apparently this stuff didn't do its job!!
I've got the pedals out and soaking. Everything is present and they are in good shape. The passenger heater channel may be salvageable, but I may just go ahead and do them both.
Are the danish channels the ones to use? I'm aleready sold on the WW pans, they seem to fit best and are thick. Thoughts?

Also, I'm going to build a dolly like the one in the video, but I need some clarification on some stuff:
1) Is the measurement between the uprights 8 feet on the inside or outside?
2) Do you guys bolt the cross pieces to the body first and then put it on the dolly or lift the body onto the dolly then bot the body down?

Franz

Postby Franz » Wed Aug 03, 2011 5:40 am

Nice car. Was that a local find? I dig the hood too.

Put the cross pieces on the dolly, then lift the body onto them.

cookiemonster131

Postby cookiemonster131 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:05 am

yeah that hood is bitchin! paint the hood the color of the car but the back side white so the louvers glow Smile
"With all of those VW's in the parking lot i thought it was a Unitarian Church" Hank Hill

davebuckholts

Postby davebuckholts » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:20 am

The car was found in Moultrie, GA by an air force friend. He bought it, then his headgasket on his Jetta blew and he needed some $. In steps Dave! \:D/

The hood is awesome. Someone did a nice job with the spacing.
This was in the glovebox!

There should have been a 3rd VIN tag in the engine compartment, but from what I was told they just screwed it to the tar board, which is long gone from the car.... Frown

ramzrod

Postby ramzrod » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:47 am

Congrats Dave! Can't wait to see what you do with this =D>
Ramsey
|o\®/o|

DandK 56'

Postby DandK 56' » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:19 am

this car is cool!

davebuckholts

Postby davebuckholts » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:30 am

We have pan separation!

Jobe
what flip?

Postby Jobe » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:00 pm

Cool project! =D>
Big belly Hoes

davebuckholts

Postby davebuckholts » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:32 am

Now the fun begins.....
Classes end this week so my welding students won't have time to build my rotisserrie this week. Then the next week school is out so they won't get started on it til the week of Aug. 22nd. Should have it by the first week of Sept. Until then....

C.Hamburg
purple drank

Postby C.Hamburg » Mon Aug 08, 2011 5:51 am

Don't need a rotisserie Dave, just use some old tires. Smile That's how I did the '49 I'm working on now. lol
-Corey

davebuckholts

Postby davebuckholts » Mon Aug 08, 2011 6:53 am

Doodle Bugg wrote:you dont have long for bug jam you beter get on it

Yeah, that ain't gonna happen! I originally wanted to have it ready, but that's before I decided to pan-off it. Hopefully ready for Kip and Brian's party next year. It's going to be swap meet only for me at that show in Dade City.

Cory, my half crippled ass need the rotisserrie, easier to spin it to get to where I need it than strong arm the body all over the place!

davebuckholts

Postby davebuckholts » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:27 am

Played with the car a little bit the last 2 days I was off.
Installed the door body braces. The 2 bottom screwheads on the drivers side door were stripped. I wound up drilling the heads off so I could take the door off. Looks like I'll be replacing the very bottom of the A pillars anyway.

Got the pan ledges all ground down. Found some rust though in the tunnel that kinda concerns me. I think I can just cut out the bad spots, clean up the inside best I can, treat it with some osho type junk then just coat the crap out of the inside of the tunnel with POR or something similar
and then weld in some patches. I don't think any strctural damage is a concern though.

Should have the pans and heater channels the first of September.

Has anyone installed HC's by first bolting them to the pans and then lowering the body onto the pan? There is a thread on TS where a guy first tacked them on the body and was having such a pain getting everything to line up like he wanted so he cut them out, installed them on the pan and he said it was MUCH easier to get it all sorted. Just curious.

john jones

Postby john jones » Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:00 am

I've done channels both ways.. There are pro's and cons to both.. but for sure.. anything you can do to help get them in the right spot is a good idea.. I am sure no matter how you do it, something is going to be a whore..

The best channels are original and untouched... but thats not always possible...
if you keep going in circles.. Your never gonna get anywhere :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k

davebuckholts

Postby davebuckholts » Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:51 am

I kind of figured there was no easy way, just a different way.

Nice original channels are hard to come by. I've pretty much going with the Danish repops.

Return to “2012 build-offs”