Slow Steve's 67 bus build

fidysea

Postby fidysea » Wed Jun 06, 2012 4:40 am

Slow Steve wrote:
fidysea wrote:
Slow Steve wrote:Just a quick update. My son has a baseball game this morning, he plays for the Cubs. Seth walked a couple times, layed down a sweet bunt, hustled it out to first, stole a couple bases and scored twice during the game last night. And, after that I will be going and picking up my new 911 project. I have wanted one ever since I can remember wanting a car. Just like any other care, some years are cooler than others; but I didn't care what year I got as long as it was a coupe and the price was right... and this price was right \:D/ I couldn't buy a 70's bug for what I paid for it. Targas just don't look right to me, so it had to be a coupe. The thing is disassembled so that is cool, saves me some time. It's mostly complete, only missing the trans and windshield. The only rust it has is battery tray (of course) and outer rocker driver side that has a small hole. But I don't think I will start on this until I finish the bus and Kelly's fasty... so who knows. I'm just happy as <insert any happy as ______ here>. Smile

Hopefully the weather holds out and I can paint the bus tomorrow, being that it's outside I need two days without rain. I have fininished welding and trying to smooth out the engine lid. The lid was worse than I thought.... pics

did you get the 911? pics?

oh yeah yo bro is right you should win!

Thanks man! I hope I do win. But, yeah I got the 911. It's a project for sure, but minimal rust. The only rust is the battery tray area (of course), and the drivers outer rocker. The rest is solid. I picked it up for cheap, and will keep it a low wife's limitations procject. Low wife's limitations and 911 you say? Yup, the car is complete minus front seats, windshield and trans. The big cost of these beauties is the engine; it'll cost you about 10k to rebuild one. I'm going with a Subaru engine, and bug trans. I think (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) cv axles are interchangeable between porsches and vw, so all I would have to do is fab up a mount for the engine and trans. I already have a 2.2 subi engine that I got from a 96 impreza for $200. I took the engine, ecu, wiring.. sensors.. balh blah blah. I sold the cats for $90, then scrapped the car for $230 so I came out on top with a free engine and bits. Body and paint I can do myself... not great but free compared to paying somebody to do it. The only way I can even think about owning a 911 is doing everything myself in my backyard. And for those that think it's blasphamy to put a subaru engine in a 911, think free engine vs. 10k, readily available parts, more power, more reliability... oh did I mention it was 10k to get the engine rebuilt. It's about 4-5K just for the machining... Subi power! \:D/ I will post up some pics, I haven't done anything to the 911 since I got it. May was over so we hit some brown signs this past weekend. I took some pics to revive that thread and will do so in a few. Thanks again!

Sounds like a cool project. I saw a cheap carcass of a 912 and was thinking bug trans and motor and front beam and super slam. I have too many projects and I not up to that level of a project anyway.

I caint wait to see it.

Slow Steve

Postby Slow Steve » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:13 pm

DO IT! Is that 912 still around?

Woody
yo mama

Postby Woody » Wed Jun 06, 2012 3:41 pm

put the Subi in and Smile while you drive it !
Cheese

Slow Steve

Postby Slow Steve » Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:46 pm

Woody wrote:put the Subi in and Smile while you drive it !

I cant wait for that first drive. I'll have grin ear-to-ear for sure \:D/

fidysea

Postby fidysea » Thu Jun 07, 2012 5:17 am

carrcass 912 I wish....Ijust caint, not now.

anyway, I have a friend that works at a Toyota dealer and he said there is anew Scion with a boxer 4 and rear wheel drive. Wonder if they will make there way in VW's :-k

Slow Steve

Postby Slow Steve » Thu Jun 07, 2012 8:06 am

fidysea wrote:carrcass 912 I wish....Ijust caint, not now.

anyway, I have a friend that works at a Toyota dealer and he said there is anew Scion with a boxer 4 and rear wheel drive. Wonder if they will make there way in VW's :-k

That would be cool, more competition for Subi, maybe the prices will go down on wrx and sti motors. :-k

Slow Steve

Postby Slow Steve » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:14 pm

A little update, not much but thought I would post a pic of the little stuff done. Got the wheels and hub caps painted with some new kicks. I'm going with the camper windows, the flat glass are just laying in there to keep the rain out. I'm starting to get ready so I might possibly get close to start to lower it... almost. Smile

Yeah I wear scrub pants (keeps the mosquitos off my legs and they keep me cool)and a funky yellow shirt 8)

Image[/img]

C.Hamburg
purple drank

Postby C.Hamburg » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:19 pm

Looks great =D>

Will look even better with some polished up camper windows.
-Corey

DaKine

Postby DaKine » Thu Jun 14, 2012 6:35 pm

58deluxerag wrote:Looks great =D>

Will look even better with some polished up camper windows.

X2

That bus looks friggin awesome Steve \:D/
-Jon

Señor Ryan D wrote:I MAKE YOGART TO THIS!!!!

http://www.vimeo.com/16806035

Slow Steve

Postby Slow Steve » Sat Jun 16, 2012 7:27 am

Thanks Corey and Jon Smile Can't wait to take it for a cruise.

Slow Steve

Postby Slow Steve » Fri Jul 06, 2012 8:12 pm

Got the box today. Thanks John and crew. =D> I will start the assembly this weekend. See how much I get done. Its supposed to be into the 100's this weekend

Jobe
what flip?

Postby Jobe » Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:43 am

Steve what are you doing with your windows. Im looking for some good glass and couple nicer popout frames
Big belly Hoes

Slow Steve

Postby Slow Steve » Tue Jul 10, 2012 8:18 am

Jobe wrote:Steve what are you doing with your windows. Im looking for some good glass and couple nicer popout frames

I have extra glass, how many do you need? Some frames are better than others.

Jobe
what flip?

Postby Jobe » Tue Jul 10, 2012 9:00 am

I have one cracked and three that are milky. I could use 4 nicer ones if you have them.
Big belly Hoes

Slow Steve

Postby Slow Steve » Wed Jul 11, 2012 5:59 pm

I will check tomorrow. I know I have extras, let you know.

Return to “2012 build-offs”