Slow Steve's 67 bus build

tlambert

Postby tlambert » Thu May 31, 2012 6:37 pm

Been awhile since I've been to Mannassass. Framington is a good show with drag racing. CTS is good, Kips party, Buli, bugjam weekend and No Dough is good too.
Tim

john jones wrote:Sanding sucks balls, My balls have been about sucked off..:-#

S-10 BB Swap
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f10/1st-gen-bigblock-installation-223375/

Slow Steve

Postby Slow Steve » Thu May 31, 2012 6:49 pm

Summary for this month: I just gotta say that this is the first project from start to finish. And after this one I plan on always owning a bus. As far as progress...... I rebuilt the engine(my first one), replaced the rust and crust (first welder I have owned) , body work (also my first time taking on a project this big), paint (second vehicle painted). I'll post up some pics of the before and afters:

Slow Steve

Postby Slow Steve » Thu May 31, 2012 6:57 pm

fidysea wrote:Moab sounds awesome but. :-k I need to start small trips and work up. we should do manasas and farmington then CTS then no-dough in FL. It is going to need some shake down and sort out. I also need to know how to fix more stuff so I wont be stranded.

Sounds good starting local and setting a goal for Moab. The only show I have been to is Bug out and a local vintage VW show. I def like to check out the others next year. I plan on doing a lot of driving this bus this summer and on. I haev had it for about 3 years and I tihnk the most I have put on it is about 300 miles. Gonna have to change that. \:D/

Slow Steve

Postby Slow Steve » Thu May 31, 2012 7:01 pm

Wren wrote:I like those camper windows. What are they from a sundial? You don’t see those that much I’d go with them. Bus looks good! =D>

Thanks! I'm not sure what they originally came off of, but I can say I looked for a set of these for just about as long as I have owned this bus (about 3 years). These came off of a 66 11 window Kombi. I have seen a few for sale on the samba, but whole sets go fast.

tlambert

Postby tlambert » Thu May 31, 2012 7:04 pm

=D>
Tim

S-10 BB Swap

Slow Steve

Postby Slow Steve » Thu May 31, 2012 7:07 pm

tlambert wrote:Been awhile since I've been to Mannassass. Framington is a good show with drag racing. CTS is good, Kips party, Buli, bugjam weekend and No Dough is good too.

I have been to Mannassass a couple of times, but it seemed that they always landed on thehottest day of the year, no shade, and the AC crowd seemed to get smaller and smaller every year. I plan on checking out others next year for sure. Where's Kips party?

tlambert

Postby tlambert » Thu May 31, 2012 7:14 pm

Bradenton, Friday afternoon/night. Then Buli up around St Pete on Saturday and BugJam in Dade City on Sunday. There seems to be talk on TS on and off that he may not do it anymore but I haven't heard anything for sure.
Tim

S-10 BB Swap

cookiemonster131

Postby cookiemonster131 » Thu May 31, 2012 7:17 pm

=D>
"With all of those VW's in the parking lot i thought it was a Unitarian Church" Hank Hill

slow rick

Postby slow rick » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:18 am

=D> Whats up bro. Damn the bus looks good. you did alot of work to that thing. you really brought it back. Funny thing is i was going through the rest of the threads for MAy Build Off. I came down to this. I think you should take the win. why? Well if you look at all the entries yes "THEY" which was more than one person working on the car. Also "THEY" have garages,major tools. yrs of exp doing it. Rather than "YOU" did the work on your own with no help.Except Little Man doing a little welding. which is cool you were teaching at the same time. You have no garage, but yet you turned that bus around outside in the cold heat rain snow you didnt care you were dedicated to get it done and you did get it done on your own good job bro i say slow steve for the win. I think that they need to take that into concideration too."SLOW STEVE FOR THE WIN" dont need a poll to show that buddies vote for buddies and its about putting work in. and you did put lots of work in on that bus by YOURSELF. a 1 man resto good job . =D>

fidysea

Postby fidysea » Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:25 am

Slow Steve wrote:Just a quick update. My son has a baseball game this morning, he plays for the Cubs. Seth walked a couple times, layed down a sweet bunt, hustled it out to first, stole a couple bases and scored twice during the game last night. And, after that I will be going and picking up my new 911 project. I have wanted one ever since I can remember wanting a car. Just like any other care, some years are cooler than others; but I didn't care what year I got as long as it was a coupe and the price was right... and this price was right \:D/ I couldn't buy a 70's bug for what I paid for it. Targas just don't look right to me, so it had to be a coupe. The thing is disassembled so that is cool, saves me some time. It's mostly complete, only missing the trans and windshield. The only rust it has is battery tray (of course) and outer rocker driver side that has a small hole. But I don't think I will start on this until I finish the bus and Kelly's fasty... so who knows. I'm just happy as <insert any happy as ______ here>. Smile

Hopefully the weather holds out and I can paint the bus tomorrow, being that it's outside I need two days without rain. I have fininished welding and trying to smooth out the engine lid. The lid was worse than I thought.... pics

did you get the 911? pics?

oh yeah yo bro is right you should win!

Slow Steve

Postby Slow Steve » Tue Jun 05, 2012 10:46 am

slow rick wrote:=D> Whats up bro. Damn the bus looks good. you did alot of work to that thing. you really brought it back. Funny thing is i was going through the rest of the threads for MAy Build Off. I came down to this. I think you should take the win. why? Well if you look at all the entries yes "THEY" which was more than one person working on the car. Also "THEY" have garages,major tools. yrs of exp doing it. Rather than "YOU" did the work on your own with no help.Except Little Man doing a little welding. which is cool you were teaching at the same time. You have no garage, but yet you turned that bus around outside in the cold heat rain snow you didnt care you were dedicated to get it done and you did get it done on your own good job bro i say slow steve for the win. I think that they need to take that into concideration too."SLOW STEVE FOR THE WIN" dont need a poll to show that buddies vote for buddies and its about putting work in. and you did put lots of work in on that bus by YOURSELF. a 1 man resto good job . =D>

Damm bro, thanks =D> I appreciate the way you put. I'm also working a full time job, going to Seth's baseball games/practice, spending time with the little lady, house work... you all know the drill; and cranking in it when I can. I really busted my ass in May trying to finish it, but like others said. I didn't get as much done as I wanted, but got more than I thought when I tried to squeeze as much time as I could. Thanks again bro!

Slow Steve

Postby Slow Steve » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:01 am

fidysea wrote:
Slow Steve wrote:Just a quick update. My son has a baseball game this morning, he plays for the Cubs. Seth walked a couple times, layed down a sweet bunt, hustled it out to first, stole a couple bases and scored twice during the game last night. And, after that I will be going and picking up my new 911 project. I have wanted one ever since I can remember wanting a car. Just like any other care, some years are cooler than others; but I didn't care what year I got as long as it was a coupe and the price was right... and this price was right \:D/ I couldn't buy a 70's bug for what I paid for it. Targas just don't look right to me, so it had to be a coupe. The thing is disassembled so that is cool, saves me some time. It's mostly complete, only missing the trans and windshield. The only rust it has is battery tray (of course) and outer rocker driver side that has a small hole. But I don't think I will start on this until I finish the bus and Kelly's fasty... so who knows. I'm just happy as <insert any happy as ______ here>. Smile

Hopefully the weather holds out and I can paint the bus tomorrow, being that it's outside I need two days without rain. I have fininished welding and trying to smooth out the engine lid. The lid was worse than I thought.... pics

did you get the 911? pics?

oh yeah yo bro is right you should win!

Thanks man! I hope I do win. But, yeah I got the 911. It's a project for sure, but minimal rust. The only rust is the battery tray area (of course), and the drivers outer rocker. The rest is solid. I picked it up for cheap, and will keep it a low budget procject. Low budget and 911 you say? Yup, the car is complete minus front seats, windshield and trans. The big cost of these beauties is the engine; it'll cost you about 10k to rebuild one. I'm going with a Subaru engine, and bug trans. I think (somebody correct me if I'm wrong) cv axles are interchangeable between porsches and vw, so all I would have to do is fab up a mount for the engine and trans. I already have a 2.2 subi engine that I got from a 96 impreza for $200. I took the engine, ecu, wiring.. sensors.. balh blah blah. I sold the cats for $90, then scrapped the car for $230 so I came out on top with a free engine and bits. Body and paint I can do myself... not great but free compared to paying somebody to do it. The only way I can even think about owning a 911 is doing everything myself in my backyard. And for those that think it's blasphamy to put a subaru engine in a 911, think free engine vs. 10k, readily available parts, more power, more reliability... oh did I mention it was 10k to get the engine rebuilt. It's about 4-5K just for the machining... Subi power! \:D/ I will post up some pics, I haven't done anything to the 911 since I got it. May was over so we hit some brown signs this past weekend. I took some pics to revive that thread and will do so in a few. Thanks again!

tlambert

Postby tlambert » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:42 pm

you got my vote Steve.
Tim

S-10 BB Swap

Slow Steve

Postby Slow Steve » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:00 pm

tlambert wrote:you got my vote Steve.

Thanks Tim. I do appreciate it! \:D/

tlambert

Postby tlambert » Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:01 pm

hell of a job especially doing it where you do it.
Tim

S-10 BB Swap

Return to “2012 build-offs”