V8 mid engine 4wd bay

alykat

Re: V8 mid engine 4wd bay

Postby alykat » Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:24 am

Are all the mechanicals sorted now ? Ready for body mods ? \:D/
911 operator: What is your emergency ? Me: Some asshole just pulled out in front of me & totaled my car! 911: Are you injured? Me: No. 911: Is the other driver injured ? Me: Not yet....but you should probably send an ambulance.

roverv8bay

Postby roverv8bay » Tue May 02, 2017 1:38 am

G'day all. Alykat the front wheel drive assembly is finally sorted now start on the rear differential tailshaft & axle shafts. I have the diff mounting sorted just have to find the final position for it so I can measure up and build the rear tailshaft. I have ordered new rear hub bearings then simple matter of bolting the rear brakes together. most of the engine ECU wiring is sorted now to fit & solder plugs to it.

alykat

Postby alykat » Tue May 02, 2017 7:08 am

Sounds like positive movement. =D>
911 operator: What is your emergency ? Me: Some asshole just pulled out in front of me & totaled my car! 911: Are you injured? Me: No. 911: Is the other driver injured ? Me: Not yet....but you should probably send an ambulance.

roverv8bay

Postby roverv8bay » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:40 am

G'day all. for those wondering what the tube is. Here's the answer. I'm building stepside type rear wheel arches to clear the off road tyres. by cutting the tube into half the 1 section into half again it gave me the rolled edge to extend the new panel away from the body.
I don't know how I managed to move pics around

Due to limited space off 32cms the rear tailshaft has been a problem. getting a slipyoke type shaft to fit has been impossible to get 1 to fit it has to be shortened in the spline area. this would weaken the shaft. The next option was 2 CV joint integrated somehow.

1st attempt 2 commodore diff flanges. with an axle shaft out 1 end. Still to long.

2ndversion 2 commodore CV's with empty case as spacer to allow the plunge to work on them without ends hitting.

custom flange plates to bolt to Nissan transfercase & Commodore diff.

flange will fit to machined shafts

Now for frontend update. I have finally sorted out the drive shafts & CV joints the inner joints are modified Mitsubishi Magna with their spline machined down to form a spigot that is pressed into Holden Commodore IRS diff out put shafts

roverv8bay

Postby roverv8bay » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:50 am

G'day all. I have made a bit of progress on the FWD setup in the last week. I had a set of chassis rails & floor section given to me to use as a setup jig. this saves the old mans shoulders lifting bits into place on the Kombi on the ground. I have used a L300 Mitsubishi bevel box. I have pics of a conversion using a T3 bevel box & I consider my setup stronger in mounting to chassis. the drive shafts are Mitsubishi Magna also the inner CV's. The CV's have been machined to a spigot then the Holden commodore diff output axle flanges machined to press fit to them then welded. The steering rack is Daewoo power unit. I have to make 2 inserts to fit into the recess on the RH side. I will have nuts welded to it for the second 1 with the rack rubber & mounting clamp bolted to it then it will bolt in to place. The LH side will have bracket mount welded to the inner chassis rail.
The suspension is currently in the full lower position. When I turn the stand head over the suspension will drop to full lift height. This is when I will fit the adjuster plates to hold it for final set of steering arms.

alykat

Postby alykat » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:34 am

Coming along bit by bit ! \:D/

roverv8bay

Postby roverv8bay » Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:49 pm

G'day Alykat did more work on the front end last week than the last 2 months. Due to the floor section being in a better position. I'm doing some concreting shortly to the floor area under the roof where the kombi is. when this is finished I can then put the bus o to the body tilter I have. this will be a lot easier then to do the complete under body Mods.

volksaddict

Postby volksaddict » Fri Jun 23, 2017 6:45 pm

Dayum, that's some impressive fabrication =D> =D>

roverv8bay

Postby roverv8bay » Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:27 am

Good evening volksaddict. all the machine work is done by a small firm & their pricing to me has been very good. This helps keep the build cost down. If something has to be made I build a pattern. then go get it done. I make all the plates & mount brackets including the plates & sheet metal work.

roverv8bay

Postby roverv8bay » Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:06 pm

G'day all. This is the notch required to set the rack above the diff. I will be folded out of 4mm plate with nuts for mounting the rack to welded into the backside. Then it will be welded to plates to bolt either side of the chassis rail. If I can undo the bolts for the rack insitu I will weld the plats to rails instead of bolting it up.

This is the left side. It's a simple job a piece of heavy wall tailshaft tube welded to the notch. I will be plated as well. the bracket for the rack mount will bolt angle welded to the plate

Return to “Baywindow Central”