V8 mid engine 4wd bay

roverv8bay

Re: V8 mid engine 4wd bay

Postby roverv8bay » Mon Sep 12, 2016 2:34 am

Now for a run down on the rear end set up. starting with the lift plates. As I needed extra wheel track to fit the Holden IRS diff centre & adaptors for bus CV's I put the 12mm plates between the hub carrier & the spring plates. I have yet to make some form of bracket to add strength to the back of the plate

bolted up for trial test of lift

lift is good now to reinforce the plates

Last edited by roverv8bay on Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:29 am, edited 5 times in total.

roverv8bay

Postby roverv8bay » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:10 am

Now onto the rear disc brake assembly> I'm using Pajero rear discs with the Bus hub carriers slightly modified to accept the diff housing flange along with a spacer & original Pajero caliper bracket. I had 1/2 mm machined off both the bracket & hub carrier to allow the 2 to fit a slide on fit the spacer screws through the back of the hub carrier then the caliper bracket screws to it from the outside.

The parts machined to start fit up for positioning of caliper bracket. Note the machined surfaces on the inside the caliper bracket & the hub carrier.

This is the axle flange. I found that it needed an extra spacer between the spacer & the hub carrier. I used some steel flanges made for irrigation pipe work perfect thickness.

1st fit up found the need for spacer then.

roverv8bay

Postby roverv8bay » Mon Sep 12, 2016 3:37 am

The rear differential.
The both diffs are LSD 3.08 ratio. The ratios are high for the simple reason that I don't plan on much off roading in ECLECTIC so with the low 1st in the Toyota diesel box & low in the transfercase it should be ok for what I will ever do. Then the on road cruising shoul work fine in the rev department

john jones

Postby john jones » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:10 am

impressive motivation and desire! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

alykat

Postby alykat » Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:13 am

Well thought out. Very nice work. =D>
911 operator: What is your emergency ? Me: Some asshole just pulled out in front of me & totaled my car! 911: Are you injured? Me: No. 911: Is the other driver injured ? Me: Not yet....but you should probably send an ambulance.

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon Sep 12, 2016 7:38 am

You must be in the parts business? To have the knowledge to make all of these different pieces fit together.

roverv8bay

Postby roverv8bay » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:00 am

G'day all. this is the front lift after a lot of work on the beam to get a lift to suit the bigger tyres I want to run off road. Turning the adjusters all the way to create lift. It wasn't enough. I have been told by a respected VW mechanic to elongate the hole to allow the adjuster bolt to go down further to between 5 & 6 0clock. I picked up a pair of new front coilover shocks off a new Ford Ranger along with the rearshocks for $10.00 the lot. when I 1st fitted them they bolted to the bottom shock bolt. After setting 1 up in the kombi I decided that the bolt may not be strong enough on it's own. after sitting looking at how do what it needed I cut out some printer paper for a pattern then cut these out of steel plate to this shape. The bracket will have a clamp type setup on the leading edge along with a nut onto the original shock bolt & a bolt through the sway bar bolt hole.

this is the ride height on the standard torsion bars.

this is sitting on the coilovers

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Postby rustabus » Thu Nov 17, 2016 6:22 am

This is Cool!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> I love the variety of projects that pop up on this website!! Smile

roverv8bay

Postby roverv8bay » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:50 pm

Now for the rear lift. Instead of moving arms on the torsion bar splines I have opted for 1/2 thick lift plates. these serve 2 purposes 1 is the extra width I need to allow the cv shafts to bolt onto the Holden commodore IRS diff centre with the CV adaptors in place & allows me to lift the vehicle by 6cm's. After looking at some methods of doing this on different VW sights I didn't find anything I thought would be strong enough to do what I expected, After some careful planning cutting & welding this is what I came up with. using 2 inner arms I cut 1 up & removed the fitting off the tube then turned the tube 90 degs before hammering it back onto the end fitting. this gave me a double arm configuration to support the bottom 2 holes to prevent twist in the plate.
1st set up to work out length & angle of bend.

sketch of what it will look like

this is the finished item still some small welding to finish for appearance.

roverv8bay

Postby roverv8bay » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:59 pm

G'day all. another little job started dash panel will be painted in black crinkle finish & recessed into dash 25mm then covered with perpex cover. note the silver bezel odd 1 when delivered all the rest were black. Texta will fix it

alykat

Postby alykat » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:40 pm

I keep looking for updates on this. =D> =D> =D>
911 operator: What is your emergency ? Me: Some asshole just pulled out in front of me & totaled my car! 911: Are you injured? Me: No. 911: Is the other driver injured ? Me: Not yet....but you should probably send an ambulance.

roverv8bay

Postby roverv8bay » Sat Feb 04, 2017 3:46 am

G'day all. current update for anyone watching. I have been chasing 1/2 shafts through a CV joint catalogue for matching spline sizes to suit the rodeo CV's I found the Aussie Magna units to be the same spline & the right length to fit in. This has saved me cut & welding or having them made at a cost of around $800.00 pr.. I had to have the inner CV housing machined with a spigot on it & the axle flange off the commodore machined to press fit together. to let the cv fit into the diff centre. I also trial fitted the rear arms to check the lift. I would like a bit more but will have to wait until it's back on 4 wheels. I plan on reshaping the new rear arch panels a style similar to the rear stepside guards on pickups to weld on. the plan is to get some 2inch pipe with 2 bends line up with were the rears have been cut away. Then I will cut them down the middle twice to give me 1/4ters then weld the 2 together then to the body.

with the new panel sitting against the body shows the need for moving it out

the standard tire sitting under the body shows the lift so far

PeteSC

Postby PeteSC » Sat Feb 04, 2017 9:08 am

Looks like it'll be a beast when done. Nice work....keep the updates coming!
Meh.

john jones

Postby john jones » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:32 pm

I'm pretty sure you have lost your marbles.... But I admire your dedication to the project.. Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

roverv8bay

Postby roverv8bay » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:30 pm

This is the latest freebie a Toyota Town Ace moonroof with some smart cutting it will fit into a cut out section in the kombi roof

Return to “Baywindow Central”