hey honey, I spent the bus!

hubcap

Postby hubcap » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:00 pm

here's one for Franz, it's all in the detail!

Take one genuine VW radio, one retro sound radio, Blend them together et voila!

Starting to come together
"Plans change daily"

hubcap

Postby hubcap » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:16 pm

last ones now, the couple that bought the bus wanted to use their own carpenter, from experience I know that this will go one of 2 ways! the guy is really cool and easy to work with, but he did build monster furniture! I had to make a few adjustments with him and shed a considerable amount of weight, but in the end it all came good and they love the bus.

another fun thing was this gas lantern from an old caravan

Now powered up by a 12v feed through the old copper pipe, to a small toggle switch which controls a sheet of LEDs, lower power consumption, but good lighting.

pretty much there, still had to fit curtain rails and the like but it gives you the idea.....

one last exterior shot

Thanks for looking, not a monster build with anything outstanding, but nice to use a mix of skills to achieve the whole package. Mechanical, electrical, woodwork, paint, upholstery, jiggery pokery and liberal use of the Manchester spanner!

Smile Smile
"Plans change daily"

alykat

!

Postby alykat » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:32 pm

Very well done Simon ! Hope the new owners appreciate the transformation as much as I do ! Hard to believe that is the same old ride I was tooling around town in such a short time ago .
911 operator: What is your emergency ? Me: Some asshole just pulled out in front of me & totaled my car! 911: Are you injured? Me: No. 911: Is the other driver injured ? Me: Not yet....but you should probably send an ambulance.

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:33 pm

You gutted the stock radio and installed the retrosound guts??? Anymore pictures of that???

hubcap wrote:Image

hubcap

Postby hubcap » Mon Mar 24, 2014 12:41 pm

Franz, I tried to upload another one, photobuccket is not playing. I think it has gone into shock!

Not really gutted, just combined. front off and frame with retrosound kit. They had bought the wrong one, with a stupid square plastic chrome face plate, it was going to look rubbish. Maybe i made it sound like a bigger deal than it was, but the end result is what I needed to achieve. Smile

Thanks John, glad you like it, anymore you find kicking about the place, you'd be welcome to send them my way! I still need to get my wife a 7 seater!
"Plans change daily"

john jones

Postby john jones » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:12 pm

Your shop is huge!!! and so clean.. so fresh and so clean clean.....
Fortress has been secured.. Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
No new dirty shop projects. [-X [-X [-X don't even ask... [-( [-( [-( [-(

hubcap

Postby hubcap » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:30 pm

thats the plan, fun part is trying to keep it that way!

Another guy uses it part time aswell, plus a mechanic that comes and services the diesel engines on the RVs for me, but we make him work out side! [-X

Motorhomes (RV's) are quite big, even our european ones, it quickly fills up in there, but the best bit is the level of light. It has a long way to go, but people keep coming to get stuff done. I now only play at being a paramedic 2 days a week. maybe by the end of the year I will be making enough to stop. Shift work does not suit our family life anymore, mid you working 17 days a week isn't much better!
"Plans change daily"

alykat

!

Postby alykat » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:31 pm

I'll keep my eys open Simon. Although finding another like this one is unlikely, you never know. Sometimes the most unusual rigs just seem to hunt me down when I'm not really lookng.
911 operator: What is your emergency ? Me: Some asshole just pulled out in front of me & totaled my car! 911: Are you injured? Me: No. 911: Is the other driver injured ? Me: Not yet....but you should probably send an ambulance.

john jones

Postby john jones » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:43 am

That lights cool... I want to put some LED's in my next camper.. :-k :-k :-k :-k Low power.. great light..
Fortress has been secured.. Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
No new dirty shop projects. [-X [-X [-X don't even ask... [-( [-( [-( [-(

Franz

Postby Franz » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:53 am

You're going to ruin that beautiful basketball court with all of this car work!!!

I hate working on diesels....all of that aweful black oil/carbon...not sure which there is more of.

rekka

Postby rekka » Tue Mar 25, 2014 7:55 am

That is a dream shop for sure. I'ts so hard to find (semi) affordable commercial space in the UK compared to North America. I gave up and moved to BC. Props to you for making it happen.
http://www.zinkink.ca shirt printing and decals

Franz

Postby Franz » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:14 am

^^ you're a limey??

rekka

Postby rekka » Tue Mar 25, 2014 8:55 am

Yeah. Ten years here now, but still holding onto the accent as long as I can. I lived a couple of hours down the road from hubcap in Hastings.

hubcap

Postby hubcap » Tue Mar 25, 2014 3:25 pm

Its funny isn't it, we are all so different, yet the same...

Rekka, you ride bikes, play VW's lived on the south coast. 2008 my wife and I, headed out with the Kids to Canada, we checked out schools, had booked to view a couple of houses and so on, I was still back at Uni doing more Ambulance stuff and then within months the recession thing was happening and it all stalled. In the end we decided that we would still be the same people wherever we ended up so stayed put. credit to you for getting it done. Other friends of ours headed out there and certainly have good life now.

Franz, I try to take care of the floor (it doesn't like brake fluid much!), but being a UK Gym its marked out for a badminton court, there was a trampoline and all sorts when we got it. to be honest it's never empty long enough for any sporting activity!
"Plans change daily"

rekka

Postby rekka » Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:11 pm

Yeah. I got lucky with the timing when it came to house prices and exchange rates. It would be a lot tougher to do now. Only thing I miss is a decent pub, Vienetta, (got my UK baked bean supplie lines sorted) and Santa Pod.

Return to “Baywindow Central”