hey honey, I spent the bus!

hubcap

hey honey, I spent the bus!

Postby hubcap » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:11 pm

Hi, It's been a while since I have posted much up on here, but I have been checking in every so often. This bus was supposed to be my wifes new/old 7 seater daily driver, get to the beach, fill with bikes and general good times bus. I was lucky enough to get it from John Ware from here and it was at KCW last year when I came out to GJ with Mike to pick up my bus and do the epic Shasta trip with JJ, Al and Dan. Unfortunately the outcome of this epic adventure combined with the opportunity to change the direction of my life shortly after getting home left me pretty broke, hence the thread title.

I love watching the threads on here and seeing stuff get done, I haven't had much time lately so this thread is more a record to show that I didn't waste the bus, but rather gave it a new life!

Mostly from here on it will just be a chunk of photos from beginning to driving off into the sunset. hope you like it.

Here are a couple of photos that I bought the bus from, solid, but a bit tired!

"Plans change daily"

hubcap

Postby hubcap » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:26 pm

The story was a big draw for me, the lady that john had bought the bus from had been given the bus as a graduation present by her parents in 1971, but better than taht they flew her and a couple of friends to Europe to collect the bus and do a trip around before it was shipped to the USA. Who knows it may have even been to the UK before!

It had also had an altercation with an elk, generally been looked after and used.

Here it is getting a bath after arriving in the UK, we pulled the engine at KCW the morning after we arrived back from Shasta, I serviced it, mended oil leaks and fitted a stock cooler, john welded up the oil cooler carnage and blended the paint all in a day, we straightened the bumpers and painted them to, but ran out of time to get everything back together before I had to leave to come home. I don't have any pictures from that time, perhaps Mike does, he was living at a slightly less intense pace!

"Plans change daily"

hubcap

Postby hubcap » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:34 pm

Then this happened!

In Jones style, it was all or nothing, I bought a building worse still a project building, I have other photos some where and may even do a thread about it at some point, but suffice to say it all got a lot more serious about that time. we have put a new insulated steel roof on, re-clad the shell, had the flat roofs re paired, cut big holes for BIG doors, taken out a stage, moved walls, re wired, plumbed and so on and we have still barely got started! I was till working full time as a hazardous area paramedic, being a builder and trying to work on busses and RV's.
"Plans change daily"

hubcap

Postby hubcap » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:41 pm

The bus had to go, I didn't have to advertise it, the grapevine was more than adequate and a local couple wanted it, to add a bit of a twist they wanted me to build it. thank fully they were happy to go along the lines of preservation rather than restoration. Mechanicals, electrics, then comfort!

The VW badge was missing in action, but when I was washing the bus at my house a neighbour walked by on his way to the store, we had a chat, I didn't really know him much, but he said that when he had moved into his house the last owners had left a few camper items in the shed, did I want a badge? I followed him home with a couple of beers as a gift, he didn't want any money for it, and handed me an OG paint genuine badge. result!
"Plans change daily"

hubcap

Postby hubcap » Sun Mar 23, 2014 2:55 pm

Last one for today. It was great to work on a bus that had not been totally got at and abused. I was able to start using some of the parts from my stash gained from earlier bay window escapades. and true to form lots of buffing.

The building starting to look better with it's new skin and electricity!

New Doors

where did those 2 hours go? I also fitted all new soft lines, shocks, steering coupler, drive shaft boots, master cylinder, rear cylinders shoes etc etc

getting somewhere

euro lights all present and correct, picked up in Hessisch

Sorry, where did you say the bus came from?

"Plans change daily"

alykat

wow

Postby alykat » Sun Mar 23, 2014 4:14 pm

Wow Simon ! Building looks great. Was it an old school ? Kind of had that look. Good to see the old bus continuing its Euro life. Looking SO MUCH better than when I had it. If I ever bump into the folks I got it from I'll be able to give her the news on the next step in its travels. Please keep an update going on both the bus and your new building. Absolute case of shop envy as I haven't gotten the old horse shed revamped yet so I'm still working in the drive way. Smile
911 operator: What is your emergency ? Me: Some asshole just pulled out in front of me & totaled my car! 911: Are you injured? Me: No. 911: Is the other driver injured ? Me: Not yet....but you should probably send an ambulance.

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:54 pm

Very nice! Reminds me of the 71 I had last year for a short time.
Living!

Old Speed

Postby Old Speed » Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:10 pm

Good for you!
Hard work always pays off.

hubcap

Postby hubcap » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:30 am

Thanks guys, John you are right, it was an old school, we bought the gym a storage room and old classroom, the other classrooms and corridor got split up into 7 smaller units with everything from classic motorcycle builders to dog grooming and a music studio, its pretty cool place to hang out. Best of all though is that it is only 5 miles from my house and 2.5 miles from the Goodwood Historic race circuit. perhaps i will do a thread if people are interested.

Heres the next stage on the bus;

Retail therapy!

New shoes! no slamming for this old bus.
"Plans change daily"

hubcap

Postby hubcap » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:47 am

Here was a fun little job!

take out the OG refit with Brazillian OG! one might notice a slight difference in quality!

they bite!

fun fun fun!

blasted, powdercoated and dressed up! little victory! Smile
"Plans change daily"

hubcap

Postby hubcap » Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:55 am

Last ones for now.

the brakes were a little odd and the reservoir was always empty, but no fluid seemed to be going anywhere, turns out it was slowly filling the servo via the MC front seal!

just chilling whist other stuff gets done!

Little sprint to get back into it, all assembled, new exhaust and the last mechanical fixes, then off for the MoT Inspection, it was really nice to have heat, no rattles and a reasonable level of confidence that it would at least get me there and back! Have a good day.
"Plans change daily"

john jones

Postby john jones » Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:51 am

everything looks great!! Love that floor in your shop!

The bay got a new life in a new country with some new owners.. =D> =D> =D> =D>

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon Mar 24, 2014 7:06 am

Dang. Looking very nice. I hope those screws used to hold the rack on didn't upset you too much. Smile

Quiet Mike

Postby Quiet Mike » Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:44 am

Good work Si! =D>

Where are the photos of the camper interior though?

And yes, of course I took a few shots of it at KCW. Did you ever see me without my security blanket of a camera?

Simon's baywindow @ KCW by zombikombi1959, on Flickr

Simon's baywindow @ KCW by zombikombi1959, on Flickr
Gaffa Tape Tourist

hubcap

Postby hubcap » Mon Mar 24, 2014 11:42 am

Thanks Mike, knew I could rely on you! as for the interior, I'm getting there, it's almost like a build off entry in quick time, plus it does my head in uploading stuff to photobucket etc.

so anyways here are the next few pics!

the last exterior job before I got to the fun part, tiny bit of surface rust, this bus was clean! In total I had the welder out for about half an hour (thanks Franz!!! [-X ) plus a few pin holes in the drivers wheel arch and the other old rack holes.

I took a little video of the effect of fitting this for the new owners, it is great stuff. Closed cell neoprene foam, self adhesive, foil backed, really light and easy to work with, excellent insulation and sound deadening properties.

Next a layer of Dakron, again easy to work with, next time I may use wool.

Hessian for the look they wanted to achieve.

a Quick mock up with the bed and table leg.

cab area coming on nicely< they were still undecided on fabrics at this point, In fact they only knw what they were having about 5 days before they collected it, things like that really slow the build down. choice is not always a good thing!!!!!

still more to come!
"Plans change daily"

Return to “Baywindow Central”