Re: Snail trail

Postby frvngn » Sat May 02, 2015 5:04 pm

That's Awesome!.............bucket list trip right there for sure. =D>
_FahRVergNüGeN___________________________
Ron

NUG637

Postby NUG637 » Sun May 03, 2015 3:26 am

I totally forgot.... before we went to Tasmania we were halfway down the east coast and got caught in a really locallised storm, had winds of up to 130kmph and hail the size of golf balls, hit us at 2:30am and we were parked in the middle of an open park.... it was just one crack of lightening and thunder then the hail came down and we started the car aiming to drive for cover but with the heavy rain and minimal vision i mounted a gutter and backed in under a shrub to try gain some shelter.... sounded like shot guns firing inside the car.... I've never been scared of/in a storm but i can honestly say this left us both shaking like mad! and after the adrenalin wore off the misses burst into tears... i thought the 0.8 alloy would have holes and the solar panels would be buggered but other then a few dents nothing was broken. Because of the wind the hail was coming down horrizontal so the solar panels held up sweet... The back really copped it, and so did the driver side as i backed it out and swung around to get out of there....

the pictures don't highlight the dents like they are but its peppered in them with a few really big ones over the rear window.

this wasn't where we were when the storm hit but you can see the mess it made..

Its all fixable and when it first happened it broke my heart as it was all so straight and fresh, but now looking at it, this car was built for a purpose and thats to do this trip.... rain, hail or shine... so i reckon ill leave it as part of its history now...

so far that was the biggest low on our trip and it was within the first month of being on the road.... other then that its been nothing but good times!!

ran into this fellow traveller on the road... made our rig look tiny, you guys are probably used to big rigs getting round tho

we got shouted coffee by the owners of this cafe for letting them take some picture of the snail for promotional purposes... best coffee I've had on the road to date

Stanley - Tasmania

drove the snail over the oldest working bridge in Australia. Richmond - Tasmania, Also built with convict labor.

another traveller... so much for the simple life, this dude had his entire house packed into a double decker bus towing a rav4 with more storage in the enclosed car trailer.... no thanks!

This was a cool conversion

Mole Creek Caves - Tasmania.

hard to get a good picture of these little buggers but saw heaps of wild platypus in tasmania, another native Australian animal.

The Big tree - Tasmania - 16m circumference

I really don't want to bore you guys with photo's. We have millions! and you can see them all on our Facebook page "Vw Snail Trail". Once again tho, let me know if you would like to see more.... got a week at home before we take off again and it can't come quick enough... i wanna hit the road again \:D/ \:D/

michaelth

Postby michaelth » Sun May 03, 2015 5:50 am

Moore pix please.. No facebook here...
It is never too late to give up.
And to start all over with old experiences as a basis.

andym

Postby andym » Sun May 03, 2015 7:41 pm

This is the best thread on here currently!!!
Andy In Modesto

Maybe Subaru parts could fix it?

tlambert

Postby tlambert » Sun May 03, 2015 9:31 pm

Yup more pics. =D>

No Facebook either.
Tim

john jones wrote:Sanding sucks balls, My balls have been about sucked off..:-#

S-10 BB Swap
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f10/1st-gen-bigblock-installation-223375/

corysvdub

Postby corysvdub » Wed May 06, 2015 8:29 am

Nice pics, do you experience any heavy rocking when you hit a bump while driving? What type of shocks are you running?
Subi What? Subi do!

john jones

Postby john jones » Wed May 06, 2015 12:58 pm

fuckin awesome trip dude!
Fortress has been secured.. Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
No new dirty shop projects. [-X [-X [-X don't even ask... [-( [-( [-( [-(

Dasdubber

Postby Dasdubber » Wed May 13, 2015 3:40 am

Awesome updates Nug, I'm sure you and Shana (and pooch) are having the time of your life - definitely a great move before you start to settle down (marriage, kids, business etc) when it gets harder and harder to do trips like this! A lot of us certainly envy your skills to build something so rad to cruise your home country in style!
Al

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Postby rustabus » Wed May 13, 2015 6:49 am

Where ya heading next?? You have a small army of supporters on the KCW website Smile bet you could travel all over North America or the UK for that matter and not be too far from a local who checks the website and would be happy to welcome you! Add Durango Colorado to the list! Smile =D> =D> =D>

NUG637

Postby NUG637 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:19 am

Sorry i haven't been doing the forum thing while travelling, since leaving the coast we have gone a few weeks at a time without any phone reception meaning no internet (sometimes a blessing in disguise).

Man we have done some k's in the last few months... actually we have covered 3000 miles in the last month.... the more "outback" you go the further you have to drive for anything! If i can get my head around it ill post a map of everywhere we have been.

Last week we parked the snail in a "friend of a friends" lock up yard in the Northern Territory and are currently back in Brisbane (home) waiting for omr007's baby to show her face \:D/

Snail is running on song *touches wood* and spent many of days sitting on 60mph in 96F with the temp gauge hovering around 200-210F = Perfect \:D/. In the scheme of things we haven't even covered half of the Australian coastline but the funds are now starting to get low so have used the excuse of dibs baby to fly home (we know a guy who hooked us up with cheap flights) and work for a month before we fly back and jump in the snail to continue our journey.

since the last update the snail got a 6 page spread in the "Volkswagon Magazine Australia" which we were pretty stoked about. Happy with the write up to as it cut out all the shit they usually write and covered the actual build [-o<

here is a few more photos of the cool shit we have come across since i last touched base....

as we headed north the fridge started to run bit hot as i never vented it to the outside, so some camp site mods were bound to happen, got lent a generator from one bloke, a grinder from another and the vents i picked up and painted them at a free camp.

In Yeppoon we drove the snail up the beach and landed a sweet flathead for lunch

miles and miles of sugar cane fields on the way to Cairns

NUG637

Postby NUG637 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:31 am

Been swimming in heaps of natural water holes, and sliding down rock slides. Cheap fun

Cairns

the ocean is full of crocs up north so they have built heaps of swimming pools around the place to compensate

pretty good view from this camp spot

then we left the coast and hit the outback... you will drove for days and see no water them bam! a beautiful natural spring in the middle of fucken nowhere!

this was a natural spring where the water was so clean and clear we were drinking it straight out of the stream, bathed in it and just enjoyed it... again... in the middle of nowhere. not even a shop.

found a dumped bus in one of the wash outs, check out the roo (kangaroo) bar

NUG637

Postby NUG637 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:40 am

they don't call it the red centre for nothing... rand sand/desert for miles and miles...

heaps of good camps spots tho

filling up with fuel and this big ass emu walks past...

then BAM we hit Ayers Rock (Uluru), i even climbed that sucker!

few more natural springs on the way to the north coast. mostly hot springs which are crazy clear but like having a bath when it stinking hot outside... would be much nicer if it was a refreshing cool off but beggers can't be choosers :-$

NUG637

Postby NUG637 » Thu Aug 20, 2015 4:44 am

corysvdub wrote:Nice pics, do you experience any heavy rocking when you hit a bump while driving? What type of shocks are you running?

No rocking or swaying... but we have changed lanes with BIG side winds but have been told thats pretty common with most vans. We are just running KYB shocks, and sway bar front and rear Wink

Dasdubber

Postby Dasdubber » Thu Aug 20, 2015 6:23 am

Great pics Nugget, you are making many people envious of your travels and adventures. Wise move to do it before your own kids come along!

Good luck for Dibba's bub, its your duty as an uncle to introduce your new niece to the 'fart game' as soon as she can understand what's going on ;)
Al

tlambert

Postby tlambert » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:38 am

Wow super nice trip. You guys are having a great time I'm sure.
Tim

john jones wrote:Sanding sucks balls, My balls have been about sucked off..:-#

S-10 BB Swap
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f10/1st-gen-bigblock-installation-223375/

Return to “Baywindow Central”