Snail trail

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Re: Snail trail

Postby rustabus » Mon Jan 26, 2015 11:44 pm

This rig never takes a bad photo!!!!!!!!! Holy Hail ](*,) ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Pat K

Postby Pat K » Tue Jan 27, 2015 5:32 pm

Just makes ya smile........ Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile

NUG637

Postby NUG637 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:40 pm

Thanks heaps for keeping these guys up to date Dibba! Thought I would have all this free time to keep On top of things but We have been crazy busy seeing the sites, driving and just generally living it up.

Alternator was a pain in the ass but lucky only 20mims away from Alan at Das Resto who ran us down a new one to swap on the side of the road... Then as Dibba mentioned a ridiculous hail storm that hit us in the middle of the night... Scared the fuck out of me... Hail bigger then golf balls... Donno how nothing broke including the solar panels but it sounded like gunshots! Other then panel damage to the snail Body we came out ok. Can be fixed if I ever wanted to... Will see how I'm feeling at the end of this trip... But this is basically what I built it for... To be on the road.

Have visited some really special places. Been free camping a lot with only pay to stay somewhere 3 times in the past 2 weeks

We clicked over our first 1000miles on this Trip yesterday with it running on song! We left brisbabe on a 39° day and that's the hottest the bus has run on this trip, getting as high as 215f at highway temps... While on the highway we sit consistently on 60mph unless there is bad head/side winds throwing us around... sometimes even faster if I'm feeling impatient.

Since that day the bus hasn't gotten over 200f at highway temps... The closest It got was 195f climbing up peats ridge coming into Sydney then 185f climbing the blue mountains but then dropped dramatically to 160f when we stopped climbing... which is probly abit cooler then I would like but better then being hot. The blue mountains where cold and wet which also contributes I guess but On normal sunny days these temps of 190f are the usual highway temps and about 175-180f are the around town temps.

Its used roughly 500ml of oil since leaving Brisbane QLD to Jervis bay NSW (1000miles). With a known very minor rear main leak and a leaking tappet cover I feel that is still a pretty good effort... But can't remember what the factory specs on oil consumption were. Other than that we worked out its using somewhere between 13.5-14L of fuel per 100k's which is better then the 16.5L per 100k's I was getting when I was using the h35 pdsit's and empi extractors, not to mention the performance/ drivability gain since doing the swap to the dellorto's.

To wrap it up I'm super stoked with this little stroker engine combo. To push a 2tone bus + windage around with those figures is pretty impressive in my book!

GarryA

Postby GarryA » Thu Jan 29, 2015 6:42 pm

Very cool. Don't worry about the hail damage. Consider it a badge of courage.
Do you have a map of your travels? Would like to see the route.

DOGO

Postby DOGO » Thu Jan 29, 2015 9:16 pm

=D> =D> =D>
...but that's just me.

Hotrodheb

Postby Hotrodheb » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:53 am

NUG637 wrote:Image

It just doesn't get much better than that! Sounds like it has been an amazing trip.
Rob C.

1967 13 Window Deluxe
1972 Heb project
1964 Convertible bug

Omar67

Postby Omar67 » Mon Feb 02, 2015 11:55 pm

=D>
Dry Heat Panzers - Established 2003
https://www.facebook.com/DryHeatPanzers

NUG637

Postby NUG637 » Fri May 01, 2015 4:17 pm

Holy Moly! it been a while since I've checked out whats been going on around here... ](*,) great to check up on some builds i was following.

so we have been on the road for over 100 days, and just rolled over 6200mile. For those that are interested we followed the coast line down the east coast to Victoria then caught a 12hour boat ride to Tasmania which we explored for 7 weeks. caught the boat back to mainland and with the cold weather coming in, we decided to head back north to Cairns via a different route and head west from there, giving us the winter in the north (much warmer) and hopefully head back to the south (much colder) when the summer roles in. We have recently just stopped back home for a week to say "Hi" do a couple of maintenance jobs on the bus and then hit the road again for the next stint to Cairns.

Its a pretty magic lifestyle on the road, you do meet a few hillbillies but generally people are great. We have a fair few "followers" following our trip online with a lot of people offering us places to stay or free coffee stops at cafes and things, pretty rad really, and waking up in a new place each morning is something else. Food and fuel is our biggest cost and money is gonna start getting low soon so hoping to get to the west coast and find abit of work for a few weeks to hopefully pay for the trip home :-$ anyway, here are a few of my favorite pic's so far.

Catching the Boat over, Not conforming to the mold

1500m dirt road climb above sea level up to Ben Lomond National Park - Tasmania, the bus's jetting was all out cut of the how high up we were and felt really under powered but still didn't stop us climbing Jacobs Ladder. Fuck it was cold up there

Parts of Tasmania get Rain 300 days of the year... and i believe it... but makes for hundreds of beautiful waterfalls through out the place.

Ran into friends from Mainland while in tasmania, this bus is called FAT LADY, in the 60-70's the previous owner wanted more room to travel with so basically cut the bus into 4 piece and extended outwards and upwards... fucken Rad!!

looking for somewhere to camp

Climbed the shot tower

Great free camp

Coles Bays

I could post thousands more, and i will if people want but for now i thought i would just touch base while i have some solid wifi. We are doing great and the bus is running like clockwork.... I'm stoked! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Pat K

Postby Pat K » Fri May 01, 2015 6:06 pm

More, more, more....Yes please... [-o< [-o< [-o< ...looks like a wonderful adventure, absolutely beautiful...how's The Snail faring?

john jones

Postby john jones » Fri May 01, 2015 6:25 pm

awesome.. a trip like that can change your life forever... =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>
Fortress has been secured.. Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink
No new dirty shop projects. [-X [-X [-X don't even ask... [-( [-( [-( [-(

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Postby rustabus » Fri May 01, 2015 6:39 pm

Sooooooooooooo Awesome!!!!!!! =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

GarryA

Postby GarryA » Fri May 01, 2015 9:02 pm

Like they said, awesome trip. You will never forget those times.
I expect if you wanted to tour the USA you would find a lot of people willing make you at home over here too.

Explain the shot tower. Is that where they dropped molten metal to form round balls as they cooled on the way down?
Shot for bullets or bearings?

I vote for more pics and stories.

jb

Postby jb » Fri May 01, 2015 9:10 pm

Just a little jealous! :-$ badass memories for you and your lady, thanks for sharing!!

NUG637

Postby NUG637 » Sat May 02, 2015 1:10 am

GarryA wrote:Like they said, awesome trip. You will never forget those times.
I expect if you wanted to tour the USA you would find a lot of people willing make you at home over here too.

Explain the shot tower. Is that where they dropped molten metal to form round balls as they cooled on the way down?
Shot for bullets or bearings?

I vote for more pics and stories.

Cheers guys, its been a bad ass trip so far, the last week tho we covered 1200 mile just to get back to were we started from so in a week we can keep on our adventure heading north. will get a few more shots up tomorrow if you guys want :-$

thats exactly what the shot tower is, this tower was built in the late 1800's, the guy built his house made out of sandstone cut by the convicts. He learnt how to build cylinder towers first on his house making a cylinder chimney, he then did the same but on a giant scale still made of sandstone cut by convict labor to form a shot tower, every few layers of bricks he set the frame into the mortar to make his next step and step by step he worked his way up to the top. This particular shot tower won awards all over the world (in its day) for the best formed shot ammunition. They have now turned it into a tourist destination and you can climb the original 20mm Tassie Oak stairs to the top where they have made a lookout platform etc. I loved it!

this is from the bottom looking up the spiral stair case where the molten metal would drop from and for the shot.

view from the top

Nearly every corner you turn in tasmania is just breathe taking and rich with history as it was one of the first convict settlements after Australia discovered. but the country side is beautiful. There is pristine beaches, green rolling hills, thick rain forest, beautiful architecture, clear rivers and amazing seafood... but the weather is so unpredictable.. will post more on that later. Wink

Franz

Postby Franz » Sat May 02, 2015 6:16 am

So jealous. I'll have to wait until I'm old and grey to do a trip like that.

Return to “Baywindow Central”