Snail trail

NUG637

Re: Snail trail

Postby NUG637 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:34 am

You got a point^ might change my 170 airs for 180's as it seems to be a pretty common across the board?

With a big trip planned this weekend and driving up the great dividing range I thought it would be a good idea to try get an oil cooler working after the last ordeal with the empi one...

Rhett hooked me up with a rather cool oil cooler (out of an aussie army truck :-$ ) and sorted me with some fittings to make it all work 8) top dude that one!

Cleaned it out and mad some brackets to make mounting easier... Bolted it up last night and plumbed it in befor the filter this time just incase there was any dag I missed while cleaning it out....

Topped up the oil this morning after turning it over with the coil disconnected to prime it then started her up while I had an extra set of eyes and not a drop \:D/ \:D/

Will be interesting to watch the oil temps this weekend to see if there is much of a difference... Even if there's not the extra oil capacity make me happy [-o<

cookiemonster131

Postby cookiemonster131 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 4:57 am

i am so in love with this rig =D>
"With all of those VW's in the parking lot i thought it was a Unitarian Church" Hank Hill

rustabus
Livin' the retired life

Postby rustabus » Thu Sep 25, 2014 6:06 am

Nice!!! Let us know how that setup works out =D>

NUG637

Postby NUG637 » Fri Sep 26, 2014 2:29 am

Made it up and over the great dividing range without a hitch... Slowly but surely!

The cooler has dropped my operating temps by a minimum of 10f I would even say more as the ambient temps have started getting warmer since valla I'm stoked!

Pulled up in kenilworth which is up the mountain range on the otherside of maleny... Very pretty countryside with grassy green paddocks and big mountain ranges...

NUG637

Postby NUG637 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:45 pm

Another great weekend of camping!

We did over 500k's (300+ mile) in three days seeing some really pretty country side as we killed 3 birds with one stone...

Sat in crazy traffic for a whie (3 hours in total) but the snail never missed a beat. Hanging to do it all again \:D/

NUG637

Postby NUG637 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:47 pm

The pictures have been cut down and you can't see the old timber bridge and nice scenery ](*,)

davebuckholts

Postby davebuckholts » Thu Oct 09, 2014 7:20 am

I love those big ass windows!!

BBWB

Postby BBWB » Thu Oct 09, 2014 8:49 am

I've watched this thread from the beginning. Don't know if I put in my 2cents anywhere along the way, but I'm going to now. Smile
First of all, I love this bus. I want to do this same thing soon, as I'm a big guy and my '58 splitty panel gets a little small at times. Great for just me, but when the wife comes along, things get cramped.

Now for the 2cents. I think you need to break up all that bare aluminum with some green stripes, or scallops. Then highlight with the cream. If I could photo shop at all, I would throw up some ideas.

Great location pictures. Looks like it will be a hoot for years to come. Have fun, looking forward to more, more, more........... =D> =D> =D>
Let me draw you a fucking picture!

NUG637

Postby NUG637 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:49 am

Cheers, I've thought about vinyl stripe or a decal of some sort but have come to really like it bare... Which seems to be my thing with less is more even with my oval.. Plus I don't want it looking even more like the cool flo/rubber tramp

Got the dells on over the weekend... First weekend without the misses for a long time and I have never had such little time to play vw's ](*,)

The dells went on super easy and started up first kick once primed, had a lean pop on number 2 but blew out the idle circut again and reseated the idle screw and it seems to have fixed itself... Very easy to tune... Not so much the black magic I thought dbl barrels would be :-$

Dialed in the linkage last night and fiddled with a few things befor running out of time for a test drive yet again... But took its for a drive today and holy moly! Think I might book it in to get tuned by a professional in way of jetting as I don't have an afr reader and I would just be doing it by guesswork and it could get expensive but I'm confident my top end is fat even tho it's performing better then the pdsit's

But so far I am fucken stoked!.. It idles really smooth, the induction noise sounds awesome and even the exhaust note has changed....

A little video below... Doesn't show a whole lot but was just after I dialed it in.

http://youtu.be/zBOmvmSpQ-s

Took its for its first test drive today and holy shit its has woken this puppy up! No more sluggish bottom end... Super smooth and super responsive!
No comparison to the pdsit's! I'm so happy I listened to some of you freaks :-$ \:D/ \:D/

Here is a video of the first drive!

http://youtu.be/zoceTyR-AW8

Franz

Postby Franz » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:01 am

Good! I'm glad that you are happy with the results.

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:38 am

Awesome!! I would change that exhaust out for a proper 4-1 header before you start spending money on tuning, don't do it twice! An exhaust might actually lean out the top end a bit, possibly just what you need.

You're just about there dude!
Living!

NUG637

Postby NUG637 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:04 pm

To true!

I have bought a vintage speed exhaust that has landed in aus on Monday but yet to pick it up. Plan was to bolt that up befor I take it to a professional \:D/

NUG637

Postby NUG637 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:56 pm

Had my brothers wedding last Friday and I fell crook soon after... I haven't been bed ridden sick in over 3 years ](*,) and it killed me cus I had all this cool shit laying around while I felt like I was dieing.

Al hooked me up with some 28mm venturi's for the dells and I got some more jets to suit.... Mean while I was mid way through fitting my vintage speed exhaust... They really are a nice kit and I think I made it more difficult for myself with my modified moustache bar (to clear the full flow oil pump) which I had to modify again to fit the exhaust... And also decided to go the flange version so off came the heater boxes to have flanges welded on... With still being abit crook and a few hurdles I wasn't in a great mindset and did a few things ass about face but got there in the end... Absolutely stoked with the sound and performance! Sweet Jesus... Would love to have this engine in a beetle... These last two things (carbs and exhaust) have Picked it up immensely

A little video of the throaty sound

http://youtu.be/PrUT9GZrnoU

Going road tripping next week but have booked it in with a mate to get an AFR reader on and see where I'm at with the jets...

finally got some pics of the magnetic fly screens we made... We did all windows bar the very back window and so far work Great.

Under 2 months befor we leave... Gotta get a few more jobs ticked off the list but man are we excited! Leaving New Years day, kinda like starting the new year on a fresh page... I like it. With my grandma passing, my brothers wedding and now Christmas we are all set to leave.

Got my hands on the only Australian Vw magazine who we recently just did a photo shoot for (not yet published) and found they captured a photo of us set up at one of the local shows recently \:D/

NUG637

Postby NUG637 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:30 pm

Al hooked me up with some 28mm venturi's so last night I found the time to swap them over from the 30mm's .. Along with changing my idle jets from 55 to 60's and my mains from 132's to to 115's...

Had to test drive it sitting on a plank of wood as the seats had been dropped off at the trimmers to have a number done on them... The springs poking me in the ass got abit over rated...

Love the sound of the "dell whistle". It pulls like a tractor!

Went and picked up my seats last night, 2 day turn around is awesome! Replaced the broken springs, new foam and custom covers. Performance upholstery have done a great job... Just a single guy gone out on his own working from home. =D>

whacked the seats in at 9:30 last night and drove it home for the first time with the new seat up (carbs and exhaust) and i couldn't wipe the smile off my face! honestly if your looking for that little bit of pick up on your 1600 go dual dbl barrel carbies, a HUGE difference…. \:D/

the seats look like they belong…. just need to work my ass groove into them now :-$

cookiemonster131

Postby cookiemonster131 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 4:07 pm

looks awesome!
"With all of those VW's in the parking lot i thought it was a Unitarian Church" Hank Hill

Return to “Baywindow Central”