Ball joint bay beam questions

squareweave

Ball joint bay beam questions

Postby squareweave » Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:30 am

I am wondering how much drop I can get out of the adjusters in a balljoint baywindow beam before it maxes out the balljoints etc. I have a 5" narrowed, 1" raised beam from Wagenswest. I also have Nate's 2.5" spindles but I would like to run 165/50r15's and eliminate the fender gap on my 72.

Is it reasonable to get 5" drop or more out of the adjusters alone without detonating the balljoints???

MichaelDF

Postby MichaelDF » Thu Jun 20, 2013 12:52 pm

This an afterthought, but since you have a 72, assuming disc brakes... a link pin beam, with hybrid L/P-to-Disc-Brakes spindles would have been your best bet, since your already ok with welded spindles... and probably the same price that you already have invested.

Having said that, 5" drop from the adjusters should be getting close to your max. Your suspension will still need to compress 2-3" or so during travel. Have you adjusted them that much yet?
Last edited by MichaelDF on Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-Michael-
DUBFAB

squareweave

Postby squareweave » Thu Jun 20, 2013 2:21 pm

Koolaid wrote:This an afterthought, but since you have a 72, assuming disc brakes... a link pin beam, with hybrid L/P-to-Disc-Brakes spindles would have been your best bet, since you already ok with welded spindles... and probably the same price that you already have invested.

Having said that, 5" drop from the adjusters should be getting close to your max. Your suspension will still need to compress 2-3" or so during travel. Have you adjusted them that much yet?

Thanks for the reply.

I haven't installed it yet, I initially went for the ball joint set up for the ride quality and no king pins to maintain, but I am now hoping that the van will be low enough for all of the work involved. If I can get 5" out of the beam + 2.5" out of the spindles and +1" out of the raise I should be happy with that. I have always had VW's that are king pin front ends when lowered and never thought about the maxed out ball joints. Can you clearance the ball joints like they used to do for lowered ball joint bugs back in the day?

8.5" will tuck the top of the tire by 1/2". I am not to keen on tubbing it as I am 6'2' and in my stock bay I feel like I have to duck to see traffic lights etc while driving.

Has anybody ever ran this type of set up that can comment

rekka

Postby rekka » Fri Jun 21, 2013 7:19 am

I dont know if this helps. This is my panel back in around 1998 or so.Its running 15" rims with just a stock width beam with home made wheel adapters and beam adjusters. It was about as low as you could go and still have a tiny bit of movement in the ball joints. I cant remember the tire size.

http://www.zinkink.ca shirt printing and decals

squareweave

Postby squareweave » Fri Jun 21, 2013 9:52 am

rekka wrote:I dont know if this helps. This is my panel back in around 1998 or so.Its running 15" rims with just a stock width beam with home made wheel adapters and beam adjusters. It was about as low as you could go and still have a tiny bit of movement in the ball joints. I cant remember the tire size.

That does help, how harsh was the ride? Keeping in mind that I understand it is a lowered bus.

Franz

Postby Franz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:35 pm

Sounds like you already have your parts....not sure what our opinion are going to matter.

I had a 77 bay with welded dropped spindles, 4.5" narrowed beam that would rub the 185/60/14 tires on the seat tubs, and drag the beam on the ground. I'm guessing that you're not going to be any lower than that.

Franz

Postby Franz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:37 pm

squareweave

Postby squareweave » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:19 pm

Franz wrote:Sounds like you already have your parts....not sure what our opinion are going to matter.

I had a 77 bay with welded dropped spindles, 4.5" narrowed beam that would rub the 185/60/14 tires on the seat tubs, and drag the beam on the ground. I'm guessing that you're not going to be any lower than that.

Your opinions and experiences are wanted. I think with your answer Franz it should be low enough for me. If I can't get low enough I was thinking about selling the new parts and going with K&L which I originally was going to run and was talked out of it. It would suck to go through the extra work of a beam raise etc to find out that you can't lose the fender gap.

In your two pictures you posted is the van at the same height or is it lower in the snow?

Thanks again for the feedback
Last edited by squareweave on Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rekka

Postby rekka » Fri Jun 21, 2013 2:05 pm

A lowered bus without dropped spindles is always going to be harsh, you are sitting right over the axle, but it is a small price to pay for a lowerd bus. Sounds like your set up will be more comfortable.
http://www.zinkink.ca shirt printing and decals

Return to “Baywindow Central”