information on 1970 westy or campmobile

61ragtop

information on 1970 westy or campmobile

Postby 61ragtop » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:30 am

I have a few questions regarding my 1970 baywindow camper and any and all help & information is welcome . Thanks in advance for any help or info!
1. Do westys have belly pans? ( mine does and people are telling me mine is not a westy )
2. Did all 70 westys come with sink / ice box combo? ( mine has no drain hole in floor and no vent hole in roof )

My bus has the role out camper windows, westy bed, side closet, top head Banger cannot shelf, side table, cushion between bed and rear hatch, vinyl spare tire cover, and rear hatch screen. Also has the powet hook up out side and the plug inside .The storage area on the bottom of the bed has a tag on it that says 70 campmobile and then the stamped numbers ( also does anyone know what the stamped numbers are about or mean ) . Everything thing about this looks like a westy, but seems like I am missing jump seat and stool ( never looks to have been a sink / ice box combo ) . Everyone one thesamba is saying that it maybe another conversion or home built, because westys don't have belly pans and they all had sink / ice box combo. I have been thinking of putting middle and rear seat in it and making a regular bus out of it but it has the pop top, and I also don't really want to dismantle a true westy. Sorry about the long post but I want to know what I have before I start restoring it, if it a westy then I will fix it back as a westy. I also don't see someone going to all the trouble to make a pop top camper from a regular bus. The bus is super solid and very straight so I would love to make it the way it was when new if there is anyway to figure it out. Thanks again for all help and sorry post is so long!

C.Hamburg
purple drank

Postby C.Hamburg » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:52 am

IMO If it has the Westy poptop it is a Westy. Unless someone hacked it in there. Need pics.

Samba used to be a great place to ask questions and get good answers, but too much sifting through bullshit now-a-days.
-Corey

VWsArent4Hippies

Postby VWsArent4Hippies » Fri Nov 02, 2012 12:26 pm

Sounds like a westy to me. As far as I know all pre 73 buses have belly pans because they were sent to westfalia as sunroof buses. My 70 westy has them

61ragtop

Postby 61ragtop » Fri Nov 02, 2012 3:09 pm

Thanks, they posted on the samba that the westy didn't have belly pans. The roof is not hacked in, I don't think anyone good do that good of a job unless they are or have been employed by KCW! So did some not come with the sink / ice box combo? Mine seems to have never had a hole in the roof or the drain through the floor. I will work on getting a photobucket account so I can post picture ( need to anyway since I am going to start restoring it ) thanks for the help guys and not going draught to calling my bus a hack!

DaKine

Postby DaKine » Fri Nov 02, 2012 5:47 pm

Should be a westy tag w/ serial # on the furniture somewhere...mines on the base of the z bed.

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:Sounds like a westy to me. As far as I know all pre 73 buses have belly pans because they were sent to westfalia as sunroof buses. My 70 westy has them

That sounds right. My 73 does not have belly pans. Good info here. I never knew the early bay campers had belly pans.
-Jon

Señor Ryan D wrote:I MAKE YOGART TO THIS!!!!

http://www.vimeo.com/16806035

61ragtop

Postby 61ragtop » Fri Nov 02, 2012 8:17 pm

I do have a tag on the base of the bed but some people on thesamba still think it's a hack.

DetroitJOHNNY

Postby DetroitJOHNNY » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:27 pm

My 70 Westy has belly pans. 100% sure it's a Westy because I have the birth certificate for it stating it is. Mine has the sink, but not sure if you could get them without.

C.Hamburg
purple drank

Postby C.Hamburg » Sat Nov 03, 2012 4:52 pm

My '70 westy had belly pans. it was also missin' the sink and jumpseat because some hippy didn't want them in there.
-Corey

61ragtop

Postby 61ragtop » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:08 pm

58deluxerag wrote:My '70 westy had belly pans. it was also missin' the sink and jumpseat because some hippy didn't want them in there.

Corey, does yours have the vent hole in the roof and drain hole in floor? I know mine doesn't have the vent in roof and it appears to have never had a drain hole in the floor .

C.Hamburg
purple drank

Postby C.Hamburg » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:34 pm

61ragtop wrote:
58deluxerag wrote:My '70 westy had belly pans. it was also missin' the sink and jumpseat because some hippy didn't want them in there.

Corey, does yours have the vent hole in the roof and drain hole in floor? I know mine doesn't have the vent in roof and it appears to have never had a drain hole in the floor .

Yeah it had all them holes.

-Corey

61ragtop

Postby 61ragtop » Sat Nov 03, 2012 5:59 pm

Mine looks just like that minus the rust ( I do like your rust, I wish mine had a little more surface rust ) . Same top, windows, electrical hook up and mine is not lowered yet. I can't find any evidence of any repairs to fix where either how would have been. Would be interesting to know if you could have special ordered one without the sink / ice box combo, and I am sure that mine had a jump seat and it was removed. I just don't think it ever has had a sink because of missing holes and no mounting holes. Thanks for all the help Corey and others! Does anyone have a good recommendation for a image hosting site, photobucket or others, one better than other?

61ragtop

Postby 61ragtop » Sat Nov 03, 2012 7:12 pm

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:Sounds like a westy to me. As far as I know all pre 73 buses have belly pans because they were sent to westfalia as sunroof buses. My 70 westy has them

I posted this on thesamba about the belly pans and was pretty much told I didn't know shit and did I believe everything I believe on the internet! Last time I check that site is on the internet to!
one Guy quoted it by saying that I had said to much already that it proved mine was not a westy, just because it has belly pans! I posted for them to remove my thread! I would much rather ask my questions here and not get the shit for answers! Does anyone know how I can get a birth certificate for my BUS ( not a westy because thesamba said so ) . Thanks again for all the help and straight not rude, you don't know shit answers!

DetroitJOHNNY

Postby DetroitJOHNNY » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:25 pm

send away for a birth certificate.

VWsArent4Hippies

Postby VWsArent4Hippies » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:30 pm

Link to samba thread?

C.Hamburg
purple drank

Postby C.Hamburg » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:42 pm

-Corey

Return to “Baywindow Central”