1973 Transporter

BEANS

1973 Transporter

Postby BEANS » Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:20 am

Picked this up about a month ago. Nice running 1700cc, semi complete OG interior, has the typical mudded up NE rust areas, underneath is really clean. I've just been working through some wiring stuff, shifter bushings, interior bits, etc to get it ready for the road. Over the winter I may lower it a bit, but thats still up in the air. I almost just want to keep it stock and drive the crap out of it next year.... We'll see. The beetle is still inching along, mainly part gathering and a few things here an there. Its tough with 2 kids and traveling for work :-({|=

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:14 am

Looks clean. Throw up some pictures of the vert work!

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Mon Oct 15, 2012 7:45 am

I'll get some pics up, but not too much progress to show. I pie cut the framehead, got the steering all sorted and hooked up, and you can see that I sold the 17s and went with BRMs. Winter is around the corner, so its probably going into storage this weekend until Spring.

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:20 am

Had maiden voyage with the bus on Tuesday evening. Did a 50 mile round trip out to my buddy's farm. Ran good, but could probably use carb rebuild or dual carbs. Something I'll tackle over the winter

and a little side project I've been working on while traveling.

Beetjunky

Postby Beetjunky » Tue Oct 30, 2012 6:32 pm

DOPE

aaronbonte

Postby aaronbonte » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:41 am

What program do you use?
We use solidworks at school and that looks very similar :-k

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Wed Oct 31, 2012 12:51 pm

SolidWorks 2012, and Rapidform XOR (Which is very similar to SW, its just used to get the 3D scan data into a parametric model you can transfer to SW)

aaronbonte

Postby aaronbonte » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:03 pm

Ah great we used to work with microstation but that program is like 25 years and way tol slow for the stuff you need to do in such a program nowadays [-(

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:40 pm

Any jobs in Belgium for a 3D CAD Engineer? [-o< I lived and worked in Maastricht, NL for 2 years. I love that area of Europe

aaronbonte

Postby aaronbonte » Wed Oct 31, 2012 1:44 pm

Not much really I'm only 14 years old so I'm more on the hunt for a weekendjob than a real job #-o but if you lived near to us than you do speak dutch? :-s

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Wed Oct 31, 2012 5:50 pm

Ja ik weet dat sommigen

I learned some from living/working there mainly dialect from Zuid Holland (took 3 years of German in school), but never spoke fluently. I'd love to come back over.

IfItAintSplitItAintShit

Postby IfItAintSplitItAintShit » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:01 pm

WAY C.O.O.L ! =D> \:D/

One of you guy's NEEDS to do models like that on the software your talking about for :-

Splits (All Models)

Fat-Chicks (All Models)

Zwitters

Ghia's

Things

"If" AT ALL possible ? ( I KNOW it takes a LOT of time tho) ](*,) :-k

But that WOULD be real good of you, whoever is doin this kinda stuff... that way we would have nice "CAD Models" if you like to play around with for ideas ourselves..

You Up For It ? :-k
If It Ain't Split ... It Ain't Shit ...

Life's Too Short ... Without VW's ...

Wee Andy In "Bonnie Scotland"

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:08 am

If I had 3D scan data for each vehicle it wouldnt be that bad to model all of them. Here is some scan data of my vert from last year. I used this for a presentation I gave demonstrating different uses for the software. YOu can see that the scan data will at least give you reference/measurment points to which you can create high accurate parametric CAD models.

I used a Surphaser long range scanner to do the beetle, and was kind of rushing through it since the weather wasnt the best, but if you had the time indoors the scan data can be good enough to use.

Heres a Camaro that we did for work demo data. Everything is to scale 1:1. This is the process designers use in aftermarket and oem.

aaronbonte

Postby aaronbonte » Thu Nov 01, 2012 5:35 am

Wow man, I wish I could do that but I'm still learning
Now I have a question for you: do you build every piece on its own and then pit them in an assembly or how do you do iit?

BTW great work man

BEANS

Postby BEANS » Thu Nov 01, 2012 6:03 am

It depends on what the end product will be. Like the body I try to stitch into one piece, but the headlights, doors, windows, etc are all separate solid/surface bodies. I dont really go crazy with SolidWorks and create full assemblies that you can pull 2D drawings from. This is more just for fun and to keep me busy in the hotel rooms at night.

Heres another I did during last trip. Based on an early Chris Craft Barrelback. I found a 2D drawing online (wasnt easy to scoop up) and from that I used SW to place all the cross sections in a 3D pattern, and proceeded to loft the surfaces. Still needs some fine tuning. Getting the shape just right is no easy task.

Return to “Baywindow Central”