'71 Deluxe

Schmitty

Postby Schmitty » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:11 pm

Well then. I saw those and was expecting it to look way different. Thanks for that.

](*,)
Jake

VWsArent4Hippies

Postby VWsArent4Hippies » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:12 pm

Craig

Postby Craig » Mon Mar 14, 2011 6:08 am

Yeah, the Robert Bentley Manual is the best! I sell those all day long and always try to steer people away from the cheaper manual as you know that they will only end up coming back for the Bentley version
They say the definition of madness is doing the same thing and expecting a different result

Schmitty

Postby Schmitty » Mon Mar 14, 2011 1:59 pm

A Bentley's definitely on my To-Buy list. Everyone says not to bother with the cheaper ones, buy a Bentley and you'll be fine.

Heading over to Mike's in just a minute to play with my engine. I'll let you guys know if it runs!
Jake

Schmitty

Postby Schmitty » Mon Mar 14, 2011 5:49 pm

As promised, Mike!

So, the disassembly begins. First thing's first: Drain the oil.

You may find yourself questioning, "What is that brown stuff?" That, my friend, is mud. A lot of mud.

A lot of mud.

Had some water in the cylinders. Not too bad now, but needs a good cleaning.

Ohey look! MORE MUD.

Mike and I decided that this thing, at one point in time, was greatly ablaze.

Judging by the engine tin, I'd say that probably wasn't pulled out and let sit because they wanted to put a V8 in their Beetle. Tomorrow, I'm gonna buy a big bucket of brake cleaner and let all my components and stuff sit overnight in it.

My whole rocker assembly is covered in rust. Reuseable, but not it the state it's in now. As for the case, this was Mike's idea.

Fill it full of Kerosene.
*slosh slosh slosh slosh slosh slosh slosh slosh slosh slosh slosh slosh slosh slosh slosh*
Drain the Kerosene.
Fill it with more Kerosene.
*slosh slosh slosh slosh slosh slosh slosh slosh slosh slosh slosh slosh slosh slosh slosh*
Drain the Kerosene.
Take it to work.
POWER CLEAN it.

So hopefully it works.
Last edited by Schmitty on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jake

dreadnotmusic

Postby dreadnotmusic » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:02 pm

Great video, Jake! You did great on your first bay drive. My bus responded well to your touch =D>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fST1LBXzHpo

My fingers are crossed for your engine. We'll see what comes out when I start sloshing around. I'm donating a new clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel if needed. If the carb is crap, consider that covered too.

Schmitty

Postby Schmitty » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:08 pm

Thanks Mike! I think the carb will be fine. The jets aren't clogged, but it needs a good cleaning. Shoulda taken that home with me for a bath in brake cleaner! Take pictures for the mess that'll come out after the sloshing. I wanna see this.
Last edited by Schmitty on Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jake

cookiemonster131

Postby cookiemonster131 » Mon Mar 14, 2011 7:33 pm

good job, take my word though be careful of letting stuff sit in carb cleaner or brake cleaner over night. a good carb cleaner will eat a cast carburetor body if it is immersed starting after about 30 minutes. I promise i have done it before ](*,)
"With all of those VW's in the parking lot i thought it was a Unitarian Church" Hank Hill

Jobe
what flip?

Postby Jobe » Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:40 pm

Very cool guys. Im glad you two teamed up on it. Thanks mike for looking out for jake. this is the future of our hobby. and looks to be off to a good start.

Jake i have a set of good rocker assemblys you can have. I can send them back with my dad if you want.
Big belly Hoes

Franz

Postby Franz » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:51 am

Hopefully that water didn't get to the bottom of the case and rot it too badly.

How old are you???

dreadnotmusic

Postby dreadnotmusic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:12 am

Franz wrote:Hopefully that water didn't get to the bottom of the case and rot it too badly.

How old are you???

I think Jake is pushing 16 =D> I realized last night that I'm more than old enough to be his old man! First time I've given the keys to one of my buses to someone. It was a lot of fun.

Franz, from what I can see and feel, there is no rot at all in the sump. It feels solid and perhaps preserved by the layer of sludge/mud/oil/varnished gas that poured out.

The look on Jake's face when I told him the engine is toast and needed to be rebuilt was terrible. It made me agree to attempt the unthinkable....flush it and see what happens.

What do you think I should flush it with? It sat upright the whole time, so the junk should be sitting in the bottom only. Kerosene? Gas? Pressure washer? :-$

Schmitty

Postby Schmitty » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:36 pm

Right now Chris, I'm thinking go ahead and keep your rocker assembly. I'm gonna try and clean this one up all nice and pretty. My Grandma sent me 6 volumes of the "Bug Me" Series! I plan on getting them transfered to DVD, seeing as how it's pretty hard to find a working VCR nowadays. Man, I remember before DVD's took over, back when they were really expensive. Crazy how fast they took over.

And Franz, I'm 15, my birthday was in early February.

Mike, I'm never going to be able to thank you enough for helping and donating so much to this thing.
Jake

dreadnotmusic

Postby dreadnotmusic » Tue Mar 15, 2011 3:14 pm

Jake,
First round of flushing done today. Nothing alarming came out. The engine turns over nice and smooth. There may be hope after all.

You're going to need new push rod tubes and a gasket set. That will have the intake, exhaust and push rod seals you need. Also, be on the lookout for a non-doghouse oil cooler. Not much reason to go through all this trouble and risk to blow the damn thing up right away by using a clogged up oil cooler. I have the seals, but all my coolers are doghouse style.

Get that stuff cleaned up and get back over here! Don't spend too much time on the rocker arms. We'll use my bench mount brass wire wheel on those.

Mike

slammed and shiny

Postby slammed and shiny » Wed Mar 16, 2011 6:27 pm

cool! good luck with the engine.
Franz wrote:.that late model shit is for late models.
Broken glass and a broken jaw.
Lies are told in a southern drawl.
Poor-house poverty's your schtick.
The real thing would kill you quick.

Schmitty

Postby Schmitty » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:49 pm

Just ordered a new set of Pushrod tubes and a gasket set from WW. I was gonna just buy the pushrod seals, but for some reason, WW doesn't sell them individually. :-k And I figured I could probably use the whole gasket set.

Hopefully they arrive soonish, I cleaned up my parts, and I'm eager to see if this thing will run!
Jake

Return to “Baywindow Central”