'71 Deluxe

Schmitty

'71 Deluxe

Postby Schmitty » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:00 pm

Hey guys! My first VW, practically given to me by Jobe. It's a Chianti Red/ Pastel White non-sunroof deluxe, no engine, but pretty solid, good for a first vehicle.

You know that stupid smile you got when you sat in your first car?

Like my hoodie?

First thing I really noticed wrong.

Now, I'm headed back out armed in warm clothes and some work gloves to tear into this. It sat out it a field for a while. Rat nests, corn stalks, cat piss, it's all in there. I'll post more pictures with some more information in a bit. Any advice or comments are much appreciated!

Images resized
Last edited by Schmitty on Thu Feb 10, 2011 9:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jake

hitlersride

Postby hitlersride » Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:21 pm

you look young for taking on a project like this. Good for you! Most kids your age are gettin fat playing video games. Keep posting and best of luck! you are in good hands at KCW.

Schmitty

Postby Schmitty » Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:15 pm

Thanks! I'll be 15 tomorrow. Outside a bit ago, I found

* Hazet wrench
* VW Jack
* Random flatblade
* Dustpan and Handbroom

I peeled back the genuine GM mats to reveal decent VW mats. Peeled those back to reveal solid floors.

My main priority right now is get the sliding door track assembly so I can put the door back on. It's a snowy winter, and I don't want any cats living in it.
Jake

Schmitty

Postby Schmitty » Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:42 pm

De-coded M-code

Alright, this is my need list.

Right rear stationary window
Link pin torsion arms
Kingpin/linkpins
Spindles
Brake parts
Sliding door slider cover and track assembly parts/roller and arm.
Wingnuts / clamps for my seats
Wide 5 brake drums
Wide 5 Wheels
Drivers Side Mirror
12v Parts

In case you couldn't tell, it's gonna be slammed with a narrowed king/linkpin beam, narrowed torsion housing, straight axle conversion, and a wide 5 conversion. Most likely gonna run smoothies, for the duration of my ownership, but who knows, maybe I'll spring for some Escras the next time I find $700 in my pocket.

It's OG dual stage paint, but they painted the top first. I understand that it's not special for it to be done like that, but isn't the bottom color normally painted first?

Chris donated (among other things) a 1600DP with tons of end play for me to rebuild.
Jake

OKMOOSE

Postby OKMOOSE » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:25 pm

Nice! Keep at it. I have a 71 also. I may have some of your interior pieces, I will look in my stash and let you know. I will send you a PM of what I find.
Better protect your cornhole man...

Jobe
what flip?

Postby Jobe » Mon Feb 07, 2011 10:44 pm

glad to see you made it over to kcw forums.

Im at work now. That trip kicked the shit out of me. been through 4 states in two days.

Seroiusly Jake, resize those pics man. If i didnt know you id probably be a little annoyed trying to see whats in the pictures.

breaks over back to welding ](*,)
Big belly Hoes

slammed and shiny

Postby slammed and shiny » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:43 pm

its cool seeing people closer to my age fixing cars. all my friends think im crazy. they just dont get why i would get an old car if i could get a newer one. damn kids. Smile
Franz wrote:.that late model shit is for late models.
Broken glass and a broken jaw.
Lies are told in a southern drawl.
Poor-house poverty's your schtick.
The real thing would kill you quick.

Franz

Postby Franz » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:49 am

Looking good. The back got blasted with a shotgun?

Try finding a complete beam somwhere near you...You should be able to scoop one up for less than $100.

Schmitty

Postby Schmitty » Tue Feb 08, 2011 7:01 pm

OKMOOSE wrote:Nice! Keep at it. I have a 71 also. I may have some of your interior pieces, I will look in my stash and let you know. I will send you a PM of what I find.

Sounds good. Chris is hooking me up with a middle seat. Incorrect, but who cares. I need the wingnuts to clamp my seats down with, though, if you find those.

Jobe wrote:glad to see you made it over to kcw forums.

Im at work now. That trip kicked the shit out of me. been through 4 states in two days.

Seroiusly Jake, resize those pics man. If i didnt know you id probably be a little annoyed trying to see whats in the pictures.

breaks over back to welding ](*,)

Photobucket was running stupidly slow when I tried before I posted. Done now though.

slammed and shiny wrote:its cool seeing people closer to my age fixing cars. all my friends think im crazy. they just dont get why i would get an old car if i could get a newer one. damn kids. Smile

Agreed! Although the majority opinion is good, it's normally not in a 'That thing's sick!' Way. Most of the time it's "Dude, your joint van is beast!" It's meant as a compliment, but still.

Franz wrote:Looking good. The back got blasted with a shotgun?

Try finding a complete beam somwhere near you...You should be able to scoop one up for less than $100.

Sure is looking like it. And Chris hooked me up with a king/linkpin beam, I need link pin spindles, arms, and link/king pins.
Jake

Franz

Postby Franz » Wed Feb 09, 2011 6:53 am

Yeah, but your missing all of the parts on you link pin beam. You'll pay more trying to buy each of those part than you will if you were to just buy a core.....know what I'm sayin'?

Jobe
what flip?

Postby Jobe » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:33 am

Franz wrote:Yeah, but your missing all of the parts on you link pin beam. You'll pay more trying to buy each of those part than you will if you were to just buy a core.....know what I'm sayin'?

Franz has a point. flipped spindle builders are giving $150 plus just for spindle core's

Although, split buses and parts are pretty much nonexistant in that area.
and it would be cheaper to ship the arms, link/king and spindles then a entire beam.

you could cut and sell the center pin off that beam towards buying a complete beam

In The mean time since your brothers car is back on the road get this pig in the garage and get the suspension out of it so the next time im down we can get that rear done.

you have a after school/weekend job yet? your going to need to make some dough for parts. Jerry W could always use help on the weekends in his bodyshop. Ill take you over there to talk to him when i bring the 66 down.
Big belly Hoes

Schmitty

Postby Schmitty » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:17 pm

Jobe wrote:In The mean time since your brothers car is back on the road get this pig in the garage and get the suspension out of it so the next time im down we can get that rear done.

You'll have to talk to him about that. He still works on his car, I'm gonna try to talk Dad into pulling the Chevelle out so I can take his slot.

Jobe wrote:you have a after school/weekend job yet? your going to need to make some dough for parts. Jerry W could always use help on the weekends in his bodyshop. Ill take you over there to talk to him when i bring the 66 down.

Not yet, but that'd be awesome. It's not that I don't wanna work, I've been looking for a job for a while, nobody wants to hire. But if you could hook me up with Jerry, that'd be great.

I'm headed out to take some more pictures. Updates(And smaller pictures) When I return.
Jake

slammed and shiny

Postby slammed and shiny » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:38 pm

CookieMonster35 wrote:
slammed and shiny wrote:its cool seeing people closer to my age fixing cars. all my friends think im crazy. they just dont get why i would get an old car if i could get a newer one. damn kids. Smile

Agreed! Although the majority opinion is good, it's normally not in a 'That thing's sick!' Way. Most of the time it's "Dude, your joint van is beast!" It's meant as a compliment, but still.

haha. yeah i get that too. as soon as people found out i had a car they started asking me to take them all over the place. fuck that. gas is expensive as hell in SF. haha. just wait till u see how the staff looks at u when u roll into the high school parking lot in a vw. "uh oh. i can smell the truancy rates going up already." Smile

slammed and shiny

Postby slammed and shiny » Wed Feb 09, 2011 7:39 pm

woah. i messed up the quoting pretty bad right there. 8-[

Schmitty

Postby Schmitty » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:20 pm

Yeah you did. Haha

My Lit teacher was telling us about the movie Fast Times at Ridgemont High
About the scene where a group of stoners pile out of 'A VW Microbus' with the smoke rolling out behind them. I said that I own one and asked him if he was into them. He said "No, but you're gonna get typecast like crazy with that!"

So I'm off to the boneyard where they have a late mustard yellow westy that I'm gonna get the sliding door mechanism from. Pics when I get back.
Jake

Return to “Baywindow Central”