My late bay project

johnnymain

Postby johnnymain » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:40 pm

good for u on doing the rear suspension first i usually tackle the front first cause its easy and then ponder over the rear for a bit, but you just got right at it! i hope you leave the fuchs red that looks pretty badass.

cool project

Franz

Postby Franz » Sat Jan 29, 2011 6:41 pm

Swap it to link pin. Find yourself a 67 or earlier beam to put in there.

VWsArent4Hippies

Postby VWsArent4Hippies » Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:36 pm

Hell yea. What're the chances of getting you to do another set of axles like that?

joezeeuw

Postby joezeeuw » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:03 am

Franz wrote:Swap it to link pin. Find yourself a 67 or earlier beam to put in there.

I respect your opinion and your probably right. The problem for me is that swapping to link pin, by the time I get all the parts and the stuff to convert to Porsche bolt pattern, is going to blow my bud6et. I think I'm just going to build the BJ beam and see how I like it. Later, if I feel the need to be lower, I can hopefully sell the beam for enough to put together a link pin setup.

Unless I'm missing something... From what I understand I would need a complete link pin beam, 944 spindles, rotors, calipers etc. Then dollars for plates, bushings, and having someone weld the spindles. Does that sound right?

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:Hell yea. What're the chances of getting you to do another set of axles like that?

Sure, typically though I'd like to have tested mine in the real world first. Really though all I did was measure and weld them. A machine shop did the rest. I could give you details if you wanted to tackle some or all of it on your own.

joezeeuw

Postby joezeeuw » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:09 am

Finally got the beam pretty much built up. It is definitely as big a bitch as everyone says.

Thanks to DetroitJohnny for the plates, they worked great.

I wound up TIG welding the whole thing. Mainly because my MIG sucks and I need the practice.

Went with Nate's "Beefcake" adjusters

VWsArent4Hippies

Postby VWsArent4Hippies » Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:18 am

Yea I don't think that's going anywhere. Looks awesome.

OKMOOSE

Postby OKMOOSE » Sun Feb 20, 2011 7:00 pm

Looks great!

Did you make that servo bracket? Or, did you just cut the old one off?
Better protect your cornhole man...

joezeeuw

Postby joezeeuw » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:04 pm

OKMOOSE wrote:Looks great!

Did you make that servo bracket? Or, did you just cut the old one off?

Thanks

I just reused the old bracket

Shane

Postby Shane » Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:21 pm

Nice job man, that beam looks stout!

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:32 pm

beautiful.

Pigpen
What vasectomy?

Postby Pigpen » Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:24 pm

Looks killer!!! I'm not jealous of that task!!! Smile

splitpile
ninja

Postby splitpile » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:39 pm

I love TIG welds. I seem to forget how nice they weld till I get my TIG out
to do some work
Shit load of buses and even more parts

joezeeuw

Postby joezeeuw » Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:05 pm

Doodle Bugg wrote:you notch on the rear is it 2x 4 tubing cause im trying to round every thing up for mine so i can hit the ground

Yeah but if I was to do it again I'd go with something smaller like 2x3. The 2x4 made it pretty tight in there for the CV and such. Also if you go 2x3 that's an inch lower that you can get. Smile

joezeeuw

Postby joezeeuw » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:30 am

I took some time off from the bus but got back on it and was able to get it back together last weekend.

Here's the completed front beam. I sand blasted the control arms, replaced the ball joints, and POR-15'd everything. I wanted it to look nice in case I decide to sell it down the road and convert to a link pin setup.

Went with the Oldspeed 2" spindles. They were a little more money than the Wagenswest 2.5" units but I was concerned about the wheel sticking out too much with the .5" that the Wagenswest spindles widen per side. These actually narrow the track a tiny bit.

The off the shelf adapters didn't fit over the hubs so a buddy bored them out with a CNC mill. Fits perfectly. Thanks Lans!

After much rolling around on the ground...

Still lots of tweaking to do. I'd like to go lower in the front but I think I need shorter shocks and perhaps some tie rod notches. Any suggestions on front shocks? Something I'm not used to is the amount of travel you have to deal with on these. With a water cooled car you typically install stiff ass springs and then set the ride height within mm of interference. On this thing just sitting in it lowers it like 2". In fact when my wife and I both sit in it it looks perfect. I guess it's just something you have to deal with.

The rear also scrapes the ground a lot. This is my driveway, if you go too slow it will actually stop the bus from moving.

That's from the rear engine mount studs. I'm planning to shorten the whole bar but I'm concerned about what it might scrape on after that (engine case?). I may just end up raising the rear a tad. Then hopefully I can actually have passengers aboard. Also on the chopping block are the ugly heat exchangers and muffler. I'm thinking some nice stainless tucked up out of harms way would look nice.

Return to “Baywindow Central”