My late bay project

joezeeuw

Postby joezeeuw » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:19 am

Got the control arm thing sorted (hopefully). Thanks again to VWsarent4hippies for the heads up on that.

I made a little jig and cut out a section of the arm. Then I just flipped the removed section so that the bend was further away from the bushing. It was good for 1.75" narrowing.

I made extensions to the plate retainers to add strength and hold everything together.

Here's what I'm using to get to the Porsche bolt pattern. Adapters are only 15mm. The wheels have openings between the lugs so all I had to do was grind down the studs and lug nuts a tiny bit. I looked at the possibility of re drilling my hubs but it looked like quite a bit of work with equipment I don't have. Another bonus of the adapter is that it spaces the wheel away from the center nut. Without it it would stick out and I'd have to make some sort of center cap extension or something.

Did a string and bubble alignment and got everything sitting right before I welded in the inner mounts. Then sat it on the ground for a dry run.

It's tough to appreciate how it looks with the front still so high but I'm happy with the way it fits in there.

cookiemonster131

Postby cookiemonster131 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:28 am

looks good to me! i dig the red wheels on the patinaed blue paint =D>
"With all of those VW's in the parking lot i thought it was a Unitarian Church" Hank Hill

cookiemonster131

Postby cookiemonster131 » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:28 am

looks good to me! i dig the red wheels on the patinaed blue paint =D>
"With all of those VW's in the parking lot i thought it was a Unitarian Church" Hank Hill

VWsArent4Hippies

Postby VWsArent4Hippies » Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:33 am

That looks awesome man. I'm digging that lip on those wheels for sure!

OKMOOSE

Postby OKMOOSE » Sun Jan 02, 2011 12:58 pm

Looks titties man....great fab work.

I look the fat look of that tire/wheel combo.
Better protect your cornhole man...

Jobe
what flip?

Postby Jobe » Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:48 pm

cant wait to see the font on the ground. those 8"s are tucking nice
Big belly Hoes

exciter
blue & silver

Postby exciter » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:35 pm

Killer ideas and great fab work joezeeuw
i love the look of those fatass rims and tires under there!!!!!!! Hopefully I will get to see kt running around michigan and ohio this summer????? Great job and keep the progress pics coming! =D>
Joe

Sainfest 2012 or bust!!!!!
Daytona 2012 here we come!!!!
slammed 63 og patina!!!!!!!

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:02 am

That looks awesome. Its going to look really good/low once that front end is on the ground.

So, in conclusion 2" narrowed(per side) Bay IRS definately does not fit with the stock transaxle? Or is it really close?

VWsArent4Hippies

Postby VWsArent4Hippies » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:53 am

Franz wrote:So, in conclusion 2" narrowed(per side) Bay IRS definately does not fit with the stock transaxle? Or is it really close?

It's extremely close and you have to shave the reverse light switch off the nose cone

bagpipe goatee

Postby bagpipe goatee » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:36 am

Awesome bus project. I remember your truck from mk1love/dubdash 8. If this is even half as nice...

joezeeuw

Postby joezeeuw » Mon Jan 03, 2011 10:19 am

Thanks guys

cookiemonster131 wrote:looks good to me! i dig the red wheels on the patinaed blue paint =D>

Really? I've never been a fan of blue on red. I was planning on painting the centers the original color of the bus which I think is reef blue. But I must admit, the red is growing on me.

exciter wrote:Killer ideas and great fab work joezeeuw
i love the look of those fatass rims and tires under there!!!!!!! Hopefully I will get to see kt running around michigan and ohio this summer????? Great job and keep the progress pics coming! =D>

Thanks I definitley plan to put some miles on it this summer and hit up some area events.

bagpipe goatee wrote:Awesome bus project. I remember your truck from mk1love/dubdash 8. If this is even half as nice...

Ah yes I remember you. Sorry I forget your first name. I'd love to take this bus to Dub Dash this summer. My wife was not a fan of the bathroom situation there though so it'll have to be a guys only trip.

So I'd love some opinions from people on what I should do in the front. I'm a little concerned that drop spindles and a narrowed adjustable ball joint beam might not get me enough to tuck the little 15's in there and give a nice rake with the rear. I've got access to a split beam and arms but no other parts for a conver$ion. My bud6et is quite small so the KCW style beam flip method would save money on drop spindles but add a bunch more work and possibly eliminate power brakes.

Once I get the back parts painted and the engine back in I can pull it out in the street to turn it around so I can start mocking things up in the front but I was hoping some people might have opinions/experience with this.

Thanks again for the encouragement.
Last edited by joezeeuw on Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Slowlow
What rust?

Postby Slowlow » Tue Jan 04, 2011 11:08 pm

BALLS That shit looks good!
Cant wait to see it done, Really makes me wanna cram the 16x8 Phonedials Ive got under my '71!

\:D/

Killer man.
// OstKuste \\

bagpipe goatee

Postby bagpipe goatee » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:40 am

So I'd love some opinions from people on what I should do in the front. I'm a little concerned that drop spindles and a narrowed adjustable ball joint beam might not get me enough to tuck the little 15's in there and give a nice rake with the rear. I've got access to a split beam and arms but no other parts for a conver$ion. My wife's limitations is quite small so the KCW style beam flip method would save money on drop spindles but add a bunch more work and possibly eliminate power brakes.

Once I get the back parts painted and the engine back in I can pull it out in the street to turn it around so I can start mocking things up in the front but I was hoping some people might have opinions/experience with this.

Thanks again for the encouragement.

There's a yard around here with ten split busses that we've been slowly picking parts from. I can hook you up with what you need. We just bought a 67 beam that will almost surely need kings and links, and the center block is rusty. But it's all there and it's cheap.

There will 90% be no dubdash next year. The year you were there someone got drunk and crashed that gator, Then last year someone took out a telephone pole with a mercedes.

DetroitJOHNNY

Postby DetroitJOHNNY » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:51 am

looking sweet!!

joezeeuw

Postby joezeeuw » Sat Jan 29, 2011 5:38 pm

I've been plugging away at this project but don't really have a ton to report. Funny how the little things take so much longer than you anticipate.

The rear is now 100% buttoned up. Got everything painted, replaced brake and fuel lines, went through brakes and wheel bearings. Didn't replace everything, just gave it all a good go through. I pretty much had to get the bus back up and running so I could pull it out into the street, turn it around and get to work on the front. I'm actually kinda glad I did it this way because it breaks up the fun fabrication and tedious details.

Here's the custom axles all welded up and ready to go.

Finally I had everything up and running and was ready to take it out. Took it off the jack stands and ran into a bit of an issue.

The bus was resting on the tailpipe. This was mostly due to the angle with the stock front suspension.

So I made some temporary braces to hold the back end up. And got it out for a mid project voyage.

Now I could mess with the front end and see what needed to be done. I took the springs out of the front and mocked some things up. This is at full drop when the ball joints are starting to bind.

So I figure if I add some 2" drop spindles I can run this ride height and still have 2" of travel. Add a narrowed beam and it should look something like this:

I'm super happy with this stance. The wheels are tucked nice and evenly all the way around, there is just a slight rake to it, and there is still plenty of ground clearance to keep it usable.

So next up the beam will be coming out for some major surgery. Can't wait.

Return to “Baywindow Central”