My late bay project

Kris

Postby Kris » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:45 am

Bus looks awesome. Killer stance,looks super tough.

slammed and shiny

Postby slammed and shiny » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:45 am

u could just fab up some sort of skid plates too. seems like less work to me. diamond print aluminum skidplates could look pretty sweet.
Franz wrote:.that late model shit is for late models.
Broken glass and a broken jaw.
Lies are told in a southern drawl.
Poor-house poverty's your schtick.
The real thing would kill you quick.

GTV
ninja

Postby GTV » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:04 pm

That's a sick as fuck late bay!
Living!

joezeeuw

Postby joezeeuw » Mon May 09, 2011 2:20 pm

Just a little update. I did some experimenting and found out that my ball joints bind before the tie rods hit the frame or the tires hit the wells. So I'm pretty much as low as I can get with this setup. I also found out the expensive way that the Bus Boys "short" shocks are exactly the same length as stock shocks. Also found out that they are Gas-a-just's for a S-10 or something with a spacer that goes in one of the eyelets. I could have bought them locally for a fraction of the price. This didn't matter much because the ball joints bind before the shocks bottom out anyway. But they are a nice shock and I really like the way it rides. I raised the rear just a little and I'm pretty happy with the current stance.

My wife and I teamed up a made some curtains for the back windows. Here's the material:

The colors work and it has sort of a worldly globe trotter feel.
Instead of messing around with wires or slides we just put snaps on them. So when we go camping we can just snap them in for the night.

Our inaugural outing was a 250 mile round trip to the Manistee National Forest (MI). The bus did great. I'm looking forward to many more fun adventures in it this summer. I'll be making little improvements but won't be doing anything major on it until the coming winter.
Image[/img]
Last edited by joezeeuw on Mon May 09, 2011 4:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kafur1

Postby kafur1 » Mon May 09, 2011 4:11 pm

are those 7 and 8 fuch's? sweet ride ! =D>

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon May 09, 2011 5:00 pm

badass!

OKMOOSE

Postby OKMOOSE » Mon May 09, 2011 9:39 pm

Looks great man! Keep it up...

I am at the point on mine where I need to decide to go lower and start notching the frame for tie rods? Or, leave it as is. I only have about an inch between the tie rods and the frame. I like how yours sits...
Better protect your cornhole man...

joezeeuw

Postby joezeeuw » Tue May 10, 2011 2:06 pm

kafur1 wrote:are those 7 and 8 fuch's? sweet ride ! =D>

Yes they are. And thanks!

OKMOOSE wrote:Looks great man! Keep it up...

I am at the point on mine where I need to decide to go lower and start notching the frame for tie rods? Or, leave it as is. I only have about an inch between the tie rods and the frame. I like how yours sits...

Thanks. I think where mine is right now is a good compromise between looks and functionality. However, I sure would like to have the option to go lower with a link pin setup like yours. Perhaps this winter...

Old Speed

Postby Old Speed » Tue May 10, 2011 8:22 pm

looks great.

\:D/

cookiemonster131

Postby cookiemonster131 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:07 am

looks awesome man, the red wheels and the width of them are perfect. the curtains are pretty neat also!
"With all of those VW's in the parking lot i thought it was a Unitarian Church" Hank Hill

joezeeuw

Postby joezeeuw » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:05 am

Update,

The bus did great this summer. Took us across the state and back on multiple occasions. Drove it daily for awhile. Basically drove and camped the shit out of it. It broke down once or twice but that's the fun of an aircooler I guess, taking the long way and never in much of a hurry. I had been keeping a tally of little things that annoy me about it so now that it's up for the winter I'm planning on making a few little improvements. We'll see how far down the list I get.

One of the biggest things was the lack of rear shocks. I don't know how people do it without them. I kicked the back end out at highway speeds on multiple occasions just because the rear wheels were bouncing all over the place. The reason I didn't have any in the first place was because with the phatty Porsche wheels out back there was no room for any in the wheel well. So I looked at some options and decided to mount some inside the frame rails.

Started by making some little brackety doodads.

They fit on the bus like so (new hardware is on the way)

The geometry is not ideal but it's the best I can do without going totally crazy. I think it will do the job and hopefully prevent the rear from getting into a bouncing fit that ends with my engine smacking the ground.

Most of the other stuff I have to do is pretty boring but I do plan to do a few fun things. One thing for sure is that the red wheels are going bye bye. I never liked them and the finish sucks. I'm thinking of a flat grey/charcoal like tourque thrust d's

Here's a reeealy bad photoshop

Thoughts?

OKMOOSE

Postby OKMOOSE » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:25 pm

Great idea on the shock mount.

I don't know, I really dig the red wheels. But you can't go wrong with Thrust's in my opinion.
Better protect your cornhole man...

Tuned Perfection

Postby Tuned Perfection » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:08 pm

I don't know of anyone that does not run rear shocks. Fronts, yes, on narrowed beams. But on my bus, with no rear shocks, the ass bounced all over the flatbed coming home. I have no idea how you drove it with no rear shocks. :-k And your geometry looks fine. The axle moves in an arc anyways. Better than having none, that's for sure!!
Greg

If you can't run with the big dogs....

Stay on the porch.

joezeeuw

Postby joezeeuw » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:46 am

I decided to do a couple of quicky color changes on the fuchs to help decide what to do. One side is "primer grey" like the thrusts.

The other side I did regular white

I'm leaning really heavily toward the right right now. I think it pops like the read and also ties in with the white roof really well.

Thoughts?

Woody
yo mama

Postby Woody » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:50 am

Dats a good lookin bay.
Cheese

Return to “Baywindow Central”