My late bay project

joezeeuw

My late bay project

Postby joezeeuw » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:32 pm

Hello KCW folks.

Aircooled newb here. I've been doing the water cooled thing for the past few years. I've always loved buses, attending bus camp outs, etc. Had a Vanagon for awhile but I guess that doesn't really count.

Picked up this 78' last winter. The previous owner was a friend of my brothers. The owner before that ran a head shop in a nearby town. My brother's friend had left the bus at his folks place and moved to California. When his parents were getting ready to move I got a call asking if I would drag it out of there. With some friends and a dolly we sprang into action.

Here's how we found it. A non-runner with no key and no title but in pretty good shape and the price was right.

The engine had burned exhaust valves so I picked up a used one off Craigslist and had it running by the spring.

Fixed a few things and generally had a blast in it over the summer.

In good company but somehow seems like the ugly duckling.

Once winter hit I was ready to change it's attitude a bit. A few months prior I had sold my previous project.

As part of the deal I ended up with these. 15x7 and 8. Stuffing these up in the bay seemed like a good enough goal.

Having very little experience with buses I began by combing interwebs for info and pictures. I must say many hours were wasted on KCW. I still have a ton to learn and I'm hoping this thread might produce some helpful tips and motivation.

Here's what I've done so far.

Narrowed torsion housing 2.5"

Notched the "frame"

Made some "boomerangs"

The rubber: 225/55 and 195/45

I bought some adjusters but still not 100% sure what I want to do with the front beam. I was originally planning drop spindles and narrowed as much as I can.

Any opinions, suggestions, warnings about what I have done wrong, etc. are welcome.

Thanks!

el arod

Postby el arod » Fri Dec 24, 2010 1:47 pm

welcome. you are going to fit in just fine Smile detailed pics of your mods and ideas are a plus!
alex
"Trailer?" "Those are for boats!"

tlambert

Postby tlambert » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:25 pm

Looking good, love the tire sizes, how hard is it to get the wheel on and off?
Tim

john jones wrote:Sanding sucks balls, My balls have been about sucked off..:-#

S-10 BB Swap
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f10/1st-gen-bigblock-installation-223375/

Señor Ryan D

Postby Señor Ryan D » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:32 pm

BADASS! Looks like those 8" wheels barely fit.

me gusta

Dan-o

Postby Dan-o » Fri Dec 24, 2010 4:47 pm

Welcome. That Caddy is sick, and your Bay is gonna look cool with those Fuchs. How come it seems like the west side of Michigan is the only part of the state to have an active air cooled scene? Oh well, I'll keep doing my best to keep it alive around the Detroit wasteland. Smile
Before you criticize someone, you should walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticize them, you're a mile away and you have their shoes.

VWsArent4Hippies

Postby VWsArent4Hippies » Fri Dec 24, 2010 5:41 pm

Are you running a stock transmission and just moving in the control arm mounts?

joezeeuw

Postby joezeeuw » Fri Dec 24, 2010 8:01 pm

tlambert wrote:Looking good, love the tire sizes, how hard is it to get the wheel on and off?

Thanks, at full extension the wheel comes off with a little fenagling. I'm not sure where the torsions will end up as far as splinig yet. I may wind up having to put a jack in there to push the plate down.

VWsArent4Hippies wrote:Are you running a stock transmission and just moving in the control arm mounts?

That was the plan. However, the further I get into this the more a raised type one trans is sounding like a good idea. The type four setup sits so low. Are you about to tell me that the stock trans and nose cone is going to interfere with the mounts? Hope not.

VWsArent4Hippies

Postby VWsArent4Hippies » Fri Dec 24, 2010 9:17 pm

joezeeuw wrote:Are you about to tell me that the stock trans and nose cone is going to interfere with the mounts? Hope not.

More than likely. I did right at 2 1/4" on mine, had to shave the reverse light switch, and the nose cone still touches the driver's side mount just a hair. Bus trailing arms would be pretty easy to narrow though. You could just move the mounts a little bit and narrow the arms the rest of the way

joezeeuw

Postby joezeeuw » Mon Dec 27, 2010 5:08 am

Wow thanks for the heads up. I was within days of welding in my inner mounts. I was sort of going by pics of yours and Frans' bus and it didn't even occour to me.

So what is the best way to narrow one of these? I was thinking make cuts on the red lines, remove the green area, and add some material to the blue area to keep in all in line.

Here's some other progress I made. I spent a bundle on some ealy bay spring plates only to find the splines are smaller than mine. The plan was to cut them up to weld onto mine. With no late bay plates easily available I decided to just make my own extensions.

Here's my "grinder lathe". Before:

After: A nice contour for the bushings.

Here's what I'm working on for shortening the axles. Had a friend turn them on an actual lathe. Just need to cut the tube to the desired length and weld them up.

Pigpen
What vasectomy?

Postby Pigpen » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:11 am

joezeeuw wrote:Image

That is awesome... Smile

Franz

Postby Franz » Mon Dec 27, 2010 8:56 am

Holey chit dude.

Radar

Re: My late bay project

Postby Radar » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:24 am

[quote="joezeeuw"]Hello KCW folks.

Aircooled newb here. I've been doing the water cooled thing for the past few years. I've always loved buses, attending bus camp outs, etc. Had a Vanagon for awhile but I guess that doesn't really count.

Picked up this 78' last winter. The previous owner was a friend of my brothers.
The owner before that ran a head shop in a nearby town. My brother's friend had left the bus at his folks place and moved to California. When his parents were getting ready to move I got a call asking if I would drag it out of there. With some friends and a dolly we sprang into action.

Here's how we found it. A non-runner with no key and no title but in pretty good shape and the price was right.

Welcome !!
Your bus looks surprising rust free for your part of the world.
So, tell us some more about this previous owner .........

VWsArent4Hippies

Postby VWsArent4Hippies » Mon Dec 27, 2010 10:48 am

joezeeuw wrote:Image

Fuck yea!

joezeeuw

Re: My late bay project

Postby joezeeuw » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:41 pm

Welcome !!
Your bus looks surprising rust free for your part of the world.
So, tell us some more about this previous owner .........

They guys name was Morris and he owned a place called "The Glass Onion" in Kalamazoo. That's about all I know.

Just so we are all on the same page when I say "head shop" I'm talking about a store that sells bongs and incense and shit.

OKMOOSE

Postby OKMOOSE » Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:50 pm

Yeah...bongs for "tobacco"

And, incense like Nag Champa and Pichouli to cover up the smell of the "tobacco".
Better protect your cornhole man...

Return to “Baywindow Central”