1971 Baywindow school project (TDI conversion)

exciter
blue & silver

Postby exciter » Tue Nov 02, 2010 10:26 pm

Love that bumper should protect the nose from them big Alaskan Moose you guys have up there? Smile You guys are moving along nicely keep up the hard work and keep them pics coming! =D>
Joe

Sainfest 2012 or bust!!!!!
Daytona 2012 here we come!!!!
slammed 63 og patina!!!!!!!

el arod

Postby el arod » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:25 am

i am following this thread. nothing like 'hands-on' learning for that true shop experience. shop teacher, since you cant use their names on the web, maybe they can come up with some 'shop names' or 'screen names' just like at any shop? keep doin' watcha doin', they will remember this forever. i did.
alex
"Trailer?" "Those are for boats!"

ShopTeacher

Thanks Guys

Postby ShopTeacher » Wed Nov 03, 2010 12:58 pm

We're really trying to build something nice. As you guys well know, it takes many hours of work for ever little thing we do. I'll show the Kids the thread today and give them your encouragement. We'll keep the thread going, I promise!

PS. I like the shop name idea, we'll do that!!!

Drew
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."
-Anonymous

Slow Steve

Postby Slow Steve » Wed Nov 03, 2010 1:49 pm

I dig the diamond plate floor, and rear seats look comfy. If my next project has trashed floors (bugor bus), I'm going with diamond plate. Keep up the good stuff!

petevw

Postby petevw » Wed Nov 03, 2010 3:36 pm

If you need TDI help/info, look here:

http://www.tdiclub.com/

I'm sure the TDI'rs can help you out with whichever parts you need.

Conversions:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63
'02 996 C4S
'05 999R
'05 V70 T5
'01 TDI
'72 Super
'65 21w
'52 Split

Franz

Postby Franz » Wed Nov 03, 2010 5:07 pm

I just finished up doing a bunch of work on a 01 TDI. TDIclub.com was super-helpful for everything.

Kris

Postby Kris » Wed Nov 03, 2010 9:16 pm

Hey Guys,

Great project. I've often thought about a similar conversion. Can't wait to see the results.

Keep posting.

Franz

Postby Franz » Thu Nov 04, 2010 5:34 am

A vanagon would be the easiest TDI conversion to do...especially if you could find a deisel vanagon...pretty much a bolt together deal then.

slammed and shiny

Postby slammed and shiny » Thu Nov 04, 2010 10:49 pm

Franz wrote:A vanagon would be the easiest TDI conversion to do...especially if you could find a deisel vanagon...pretty much a bolt together deal then.

but vanagons look like big square potatoes... Smile
Franz wrote:.that late model shit is for late models.
Broken glass and a broken jaw.
Lies are told in a southern drawl.
Poor-house poverty's your schtick.
The real thing would kill you quick.

ShopTeacher

Postby ShopTeacher » Fri Nov 05, 2010 1:44 pm

slammed and shiny wrote:
Franz wrote:A vanagon would be the easiest TDI conversion to do...especially if you could find a deisel vanagon...pretty much a bolt together deal then.

but vanagons look like big square potatoes... Smile

I agree, it would have been nice to use a split window but we didn't have one available. The older ones have got a lot more style. The Vanagons have got a smaller engine bay, making it more difficult to install and work on. We currently have our engine rolled over at a 50 degree angle, but we have enough space that we may turn it upright. This would give us more room for the turbo, intake, and exhaust (better drainage on the turbo). It would add to our workload though.

I have checked out the TDIclub.com, but their forum is scary busy and it's tuff to work though all the info. Have found a lot of good stuff their.
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

-Anonymous

ShopTeacher

A little room to breath!!!!!!

Postby ShopTeacher » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:35 pm

As you guys well know it's not always easy to get in and work on the engines in the engine bay. Some times it's just easier to pull the engine and do your work on the bench. This isn't the case with our engine, because it weighs about 250-300lbs with transaxle. and the a very tight fit. We couldn't bring the engine into the bay with the engine hoist, had to use a floor jack. Up on top we had about 6inches of room to work on the fuel pump and injectors and coolant lines. So needed a little more room, and here is the plan we came up with.

Bringing the engine in and out needed to be much easier, because the engine will be in and out many time during the modification process. Lifting the engine and transaxle in one piece was the goal.

As you can see there just isn't a lot of room on top.

So we built a torsion bar to take the strain that the rear deck would normally, then we started cutting.

The end result was a lot more room!

We are working on finishing the framing, but this is basically what it will look like when finished.

It will hing open similar to the trunk/ hood and the original rear hatch would swing with it.

-Anonymous

ShopTeacher

A look at the wheels and tires!!!!

Postby ShopTeacher » Sat Nov 13, 2010 12:58 pm

One area that can make a significant difference in fuel economy is the wheel and tire set that you use. We went to a lower profile tire to reduce rolling resistance (they look good too). The Wheels are 17inch wheels vs. the original 14inch, and they are a low mass aluminum. The overall height of the wheel and tire set has been increased by about an inch to lower the RPM for our diesel. Because of the slightly larger tire size and profile the front tires rubbed just slightly on the wheel well. To fix this problem we have ordered a 4 inch narrowed beam and will be installing it as soon as the engine mounts are finished.

We also have horseshoe brackets that we will lower the rear 3.5 inches. These will also be installed once the motor mounts are 100%.

-Anonymous

ShopTeacher

Other things in the shop!!!

Postby ShopTeacher » Sat Nov 13, 2010 1:57 pm

Sometimes I feel like we don't make enough progress toward finishing this project, but I have to remind myself that we do many other things. These other things are the basics to support the shop and continue the students basic vocational education. We are always trying to make our shop run better and be more organized. We also have to do fund-raising to buy new tools and supplies. So I thought I would show you some pictures of other things we do in our shop.

Dune Buggy for a fund-raiser:

Installed new stainless sink:

Collecting Aluminum for fund-raising:

Student trunk:

Chopping Block fund-raiser:

Sauna fund-raiser:

Sign building project:
Last edited by ShopTeacher on Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Anonymous

ShopTeacher

Beginning of the drivers side motor mount!

Postby ShopTeacher » Sat Nov 13, 2010 3:40 pm

There just is no one that makes the driver side motor mount for this kind of project so we have to fabricate this part 100% from scratch. We figured that many people would be looking at our engine compartment so we decided it better look nice (signature piece).

The part is milled from a 1" thick X 6" wide flat stock aluminum.

The students are learning some milling techniques:

Closeup:

-Anonymous

john jones

Postby john jones » Sat Nov 13, 2010 5:58 pm

You guys have a bunch of different projects!! Thats great.. you are teaching them all kinds of skills..

Looks like the TDI is in there..
if you keep going in circles.. Your never gonna get anywhere :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k :-k

Return to “Baywindow Central”