1971 Baywindow school project (TDI conversion)

ShopTeacher

1971 Baywindow school project (TDI conversion)

Postby ShopTeacher » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:42 am

Well this is the first time I have posted at the site and I may come off as a bit of a newbie. I've gotta work out the bug in posting. I'm really busy with all the things I do at the school, but will try to post often.

I'm here because no one can argue that this guys do great work, and because John has said he would mentor us a bit with our project. A couple of year ago I came by a relatively nice Van at a garage sale. Brought it to the school and we began to work on it as a basic automotive project. But we got talking and decided to make it something more. The cost of a gallon of gas in our community was as much as $5.00/gal. and our country is facing an energy crisis. We decided to take this old rig and GO GREEN with it. We are converting it to a 1.9 TDI and building in every conceivable modification to gain fuel mileage. Before we can get to the fuel part we have to get through the restoration part.

It's taken some time to really get things rolling, but here we go. We've spent a lot of time researching, and planning. As you may know schools don't often have a lot of money for projects like this so we have had to write grants and find many sponsors. Then it's really hard to get a lot done in an hour a day + weekend parties. Please enjoy the tread and feel free to give any advise you can. Since this is for a school project it would be nice if we could watch our language, not that they have never heard or used those words. (I'll get some pics on soon)
"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."
-Anonymous

exciter
blue & silver

Postby exciter » Fri Oct 29, 2010 11:24 am

WELCOME ABOARD CLASS! =D> =D> Good luck on your project and am looking forward to some pics. I would have loved to had a vw to work on at school and for that matter i would have gotten detetion on purpose to stay after school and work on it then!!!!! Make sure you put lenty of pics up as you go and we all will definetly give you our 2 cents worth of advise weather its any good or not! Smile
Joe

Sainfest 2012 or bust!!!!!
Daytona 2012 here we come!!!!
slammed 63 og patina!!!!!!!

ShopTeacher

In the beginning there was rust!!!!!!

Postby ShopTeacher » Fri Oct 29, 2010 1:25 pm

Took me a bit to figure out how to post pics, and I had to open a photobucket account, but here is the first batch.

"Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

-Anonymous

germanstyle

Postby germanstyle » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:49 pm

how'd you get that bus on it's side?

lonestar

Postby lonestar » Fri Oct 29, 2010 5:57 pm

Good luck with the project....You'll find most everyone on here will be ready to give you some advice. Smile

john jones

Postby john jones » Sat Oct 30, 2010 8:59 am

I'm pretty sure this guys name is Drew.. and Drew, "blackie" is from Alaska too.. what part are you from?

this link was in an email he sent me..

http://www.alaskabug.blogspot.com/
Working on my fortress of solitude.... Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

tlambert

Postby tlambert » Sun Oct 31, 2010 8:22 pm

They are doing some cool mods.
Tim

john jones wrote:Sanding sucks balls, My balls have been about sucked off..:-#

S-10 BB Swap
http://www.s10forum.com/forum/f10/1st-gen-bigblock-installation-223375/

slammed and shiny

Postby slammed and shiny » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:24 pm

wouldnt a good way to improve efficiency be to make everything lightweight too? maybe make a fiberglass roof or something? or turn it into a ragtop. that could save some weight in metal on the roof. as long as im coming up with ideas maybe u should make it more aerodynamic too. Smile
Franz wrote:.that late model shit is for late models.
Broken glass and a broken jaw.
Lies are told in a southern drawl.
Poor-house poverty's your schtick.
The real thing would kill you quick.

ShopTeacher

Transplanted here from Minnesota

Postby ShopTeacher » Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:16 pm

Yup, my name is Drew, and I'm originally from Minnesota. I moved to Alaska almost 7 years ago to work as a teacher. I started way up north, almost to the Arctic Circle, but moved with my family about 4 years ago to Bristol Bay (Southwest). We are not on the road system, but we have about 30miles of roads. You can get to our community only by ship or plane. We don't have a lot of the things that a bigger city would have but that kinda the point (can't beat the view). The isolation does make it difficult to order some of our parts.

We have made a lot of progress since we first started and I'll try to get the pictures up to date soon!!!

-Anonymous

ShopTeacher

Postby ShopTeacher » Tue Nov 02, 2010 1:02 pm

We are making a lot of mods. and have many more in mind, but limited resources and time keep us from doing some of them. It would be hard to make a bay window more aerodynamic. I can just imagine the nose cone on that thing. We are dropping the van 3 and 1/2 inches and adding a thin 18gauge aluminum sheet to the whole underside to increase the airflow under the van. It will be getting an air foil to correct the draft at the back. We were planning to go to an completely internal front bumper to remove that problematic airflow at the front, but our insurance company is a bit concerned about a bunch of kids riding around in an "old, unsafe" van. As a result we have had to make a monstrosity of a bumper. It's safe but wrecks the airflow. Hopefully it doesn't look to bad.
Started by figuring the height:

Had to add to the top to make the bumper a legal height with the drop in it. In the picture the van only has the 2.5in drop spindles, but we will be putting in the 4in narrowed beam soon and an additional 1in drop with the beefcakes. So the stance will look different soon.

-Anonymous

ShopTeacher

Trying to make it a little lighter

Postby ShopTeacher » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:11 pm

We are trying to reduce the weight of the rig, but many of the mods end up adding a little. The vans were such a simple, basic machine, that it would be hard to cut back. The modifications will typically be more of a upgrade in efficiency, and comfort than weight problem.

What do you guys typically get for mileage from the original air-cooled engines (on a van). We figured it must be about 16 to 18 MPG. Though we will have increased the weight, the diesel motor is more efficient to begin with. I know horse power is not a direct comparison of efficiency, but it does contribute so please stick with me. The original boxer motor motor would have had about 70hp and the diesel about 100hp (no mods). The estimate that we gotten show that the van should get 30 MPG with the diesel (no mods). This is our baseline to compare to. How do these numbers sound to you guys? The estimates that we gotten from some of the people helping us indicate we are shooting for 60 MPG in the end with an output of 150hp.
Some of the mod will be:
larger turbo
balanced injectors
larger nozzles
better intercooler
highflow intake
highflow exhaust
computer remapped
water methanol injection
computerized driving coach
rebuilt transaxle (much higher gears)
low rolling resistant tires and rims
belly pan and lowered (for airflow)
airfoil
and I'm sure I'm forgetting a bunch of the things the kids are planning

I agree that one of the most obvious modifications would be to make it more aerodynamic but we're not working with a Ghia here.

Sorry this one is getting a little long, but just trying to get you guys up to speed.

We first tried to salvage an air-cooled and ended up with a pancake, but it quickly made it to the shelf. It was a lot of fun to work with for a while.

In our case the engine turns out to be the biggest modification point. Here is a picture of the engine being mounted to the transaxel.

-Anonymous

ShopTeacher

Doing interior stuff too!!!

Postby ShopTeacher » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:41 pm

Most of what we are working on is the engine and exterior, but we are getting some interior stuff done too. notice the floor in the pics and the seats (drivers seat is heated and power, ha ha ha).

A student (sorry can't use student names on the internet, though I would love to give each one credit) working to make room to install the front seats.

How do you like the leather look???

Got the seats out of a totaled dodge SUV.

The rear seats match the front. In this picture the seats were just set into place but since we have finished the mounting bracket. I'll post pics later.

-Anonymous

ShopTeacher

Planning is a huge part of this project

Postby ShopTeacher » Tue Nov 02, 2010 5:51 pm

The students spend a lot time planning and dreaming. Without that we wouldn't have gotten this far.

We also spend a lot of time looking for sponsors and grants to complete this. Schools really don't have the money to undertake a project of this cost. Here is a picture of some of the kids accepting a check from the local power company.

-Anonymous

john jones

Postby john jones » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:32 pm

Cool stuff.. You guys couldn't have started with a more complicated project... =D> Maybe a simple resto on an early beetle would be a good ice breaker..
Working on my fortress of solitude.... Wink Wink Wink Wink Wink

Tuned Perfection

Postby Tuned Perfection » Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:40 pm

Love the seats. Good luck with the project.
Greg

If you can't run with the big dogs....

Stay on the porch.

Return to “Baywindow Central”